Most decisive battle in WW2? - Page 25

View Poll Results :Most decisive battle in WW2?
Battle of Stalingrad 34 33.33%
Battle of Kursk (Operation Citadel) 15 14.71%
Battle of Moscow 10 9.80%
Battle of Leningrad 0 0%
Battle of El Alamein 3 2.94%
Operation Overlord (Battle of Normandy) 17 16.67%
Battle of Midway 11 10.78%
Other 12 11.76%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

--

January 17th, 2011  
USSWISCONSIN

I chose Midway, because I am a naval enthusiast. Battles are important for different reasons, turning points, halting an advance, breaking an enemies forces down, and so forth. Of the listed battles, Midway was a very important turning point in the Pacific and probably the single most important naval battle of WWII.
January 17th, 2011  
LeEnfield

One battle that is never discussed is the battle of the Atlantic, now what would have happened if that one was lost.
January 17th, 2011  
lljadw

Afaics,IMHO,from my POV,and such things,the Germans were never nearing the point that they could win the Battle of the Atlantic .
Some figures about the U boats:
1 january 1942:249
58 in the Baltic for basic training
100 for advanced training
of the 91 remaining,only 55 were available in the Atlantic ,of which 22 operational .
In 1941,the submarines sank 2.1 million ton of shipping
In march 1943,there were 400 UBoats
52 for basic training
119 for advanced traning
7 experimental boats
222 front-line boats
182 stationed in the atlantic and 40 elsewhere
Of those in the Atlantic
68 at base
44 en route
70 on combat patrol,of which 45 patrolling the convoy routes in the North Atlantic
--
January 17th, 2011  
lljadw

from Naval History the losses of the British,allied and neutral merchant navies in the Atlantic ocean ,from all causes.
1939:O.3 million ton 35 boats 5 UBoats were lost
1940:1.739 million ton 330 boats 12 Uboats were lost
1941:2.557 million ton 525 boats 23 UBoats were lost
1942:5.834 million ton 1188 boats 69 UBoats were lost
1943:1.92 million ton 328 boats 164 UBoats were lost
1944: O.225 million ton 40 boats 111 UBoats were lost
1945: 0.132 million ton 21 boats 16 UBoats were lost
January 17th, 2011  
Del Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
One battle that is never discussed is the battle of the Atlantic, now what would have happened if that one was lost.

This one I remember ; it was fought desperately and personally by those like my uncles Fred and George, one who just missed the sinking of his ship HMS Hood through urgent call to subs and then was sunk twice more before the end of the war. The other a merchant marine stoker racing the Atlantic throughout WW11. Both survived to tell the tale, which led to my going to sea as soon as I left school - Ist opportunity.

I recall the defences around the North Sea coast of Scotland, I played in them daily, crawling through the continuous trenches, climbing the concrete block vehicle stoppers, inhabiting the pill boxes. We lived under threat constantly.

We could not have lost this one.
January 17th, 2011  
USSWISCONSIN

Quote:
While it was very important, the "Battle of the Atlantic" was more like a campaign in my way of thinking, a series of many separate battles fought over a period of years in a large theater of operations.
January 17th, 2011  
LeEnfield

Thousands of men died and thousands of ships lost, still unless it is fought on land then it doesn't count, or so it appears.
January 18th, 2011  
USSWISCONSIN

Quote:
Thousands of men died and thousands of ships lost, still unless it is fought on land then it doesn't count, or so it appears.
It matters to me, I picked The Battle of Midway, all I was saying is that the Battle of the Atlantic was bigger than one battle, more like a campaign, it was a very important campaign consisting of many smaller battles. In my way of thinking a battle is a discrete action, taking place in a specific location and over a period of hours, days, or even many weeks - Like Stalingrad. An ocean is a very broad site for a single battle, and years is longer than a single battle in my way of thinking. This is only my opinion, and I in no way intend to demean the importance of this critical campaign for the survival of Britain. Comparing the Battle of the Atlantic to the other battles on the list, made me think of a campaign - which could be called a battle (like the Battle for France, the Battle for Germany) - but has a more descriptive term (campaign) available.
January 22nd, 2011  
MontyB

I agree it is not that the Atlantic campaign was not important that it is not listed here but rather that it was a theatre of operations comprising many individual battles and as such is not really a "decisive battle".
February 14th, 2011  
PFC Prokopy

Midway was the most decisive battle in my opinion, it ended any hopes the Japanese had of ever winning