October 10th, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer

Topic: Middle-east arms supply

I was curious, who are the main arms suppliers to:

Iran
Pakistan
Saudi Arabia
Syria

and the combined "small states" like Kuwait, Yemen, etc...

And how do they stand on self-production?
October 10th, 2004  
AsianAmerican

Iran and Pakistan biggest dealer in arms is China, and I think Russia helps Pakistan as well. Let me dig up some dirt and i'll edit this post WOOT.
October 10th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Saudi and Pakistan buy heavily from US and Western Europe. Iran has a lot of really old US equipment and gets anything new mostly from Russia. Consider that China buys Russian for much of its gear too. That is one aspect of Russia that remains strong: weapons dealing. Syria is pretty much 100% Russian and I think a bit of French equips mixed in.
--
October 10th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Pakistan gets most deals from China and to a less extent USA.
Iran got deals from China and Russia.

Saudi Arab and other M.E. states mainly got deals from USA.
October 10th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Well, Syria and Egypt have been favoring Soviet/Russian equipment for years.

Also, the question was asked about Middle East nations being able to build their own gear. Iran and Pakistan are working on developing that capability. Turkey does it already (but for some reason isn't considered Middle Eastern). Other than Turkey, none are in a position to be completely self sufficient in military production yet. Then again, very few nations in the world ARE.

Frog, you're prolly right on the Pakistan and Iran side. What is China sell them mostly?
October 10th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

To Pakistan, China sells plenty of Fighter jets and MBT's and Navy ships and almost everything.

To Iran, mostly missiles, also some other stuff but not in large scale.

Also, with Pakistan, there is a big cooperation in producing jets like FC-1 and MBT's like T2000.

FC-1:
October 10th, 2004  
SHERMAN

I wouldent call Pakistan a part of the ME....The Syrians used to be clients of the USSr, and now they just dont buy, they got no money(and they owe the Russians about 3 billion dollars)...Egypt buys USA weapons, including the M1 Abrams.
October 11th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

According to Jane's Defence:
Chinese government agrees to supply 4 Ming-class submarines and just transfered 300 silkworm missile to Iran.

Auto translation from Chinese to English:

Jane's Defense Weekly: China officially transmits four to Iran "the bright level" the conventional submarine Recently the Chinese government should the Iranian government's request transmit four bright levels conventions submarine mainly to use in to train because Iran has purchased three 基洛 levels submarines in the beginning of 90 to Russia, because a this kind of advanced submarine service life daily reduction therefore extremely hoped purchased the Chinese government relatively cheap convention submarine, because the Chinese government was walking recently the China's unique way of strengthening forces to walk surmounts road of the type development, The newly built many advanced conventional submarine also has two nuclear-powered submarines for instance to say "the Song level" and "a Yuan level" also has 093 and 094 submarines therefore said very many has "the bright level" the conventional submarine to need to process. Therefore said the Chinese government extremely is willing to achieve this business, most importantly American government recently period of time very in a big way had possibly the attack to Iran's strong manner which implemented to Iran makes first move and gets control, Iran were China's fuel depots therefore said the Chinese government could not look on no matter, although said 033 levels of submarines said regarding some countries quite old but after the Chinese military's debugging and the improvement believed could have the very major function, in addition the Chinese government transmitted to Iran probably had 300 "the fish one" not to have the guidance torpedo also to have the massive sea mines to have the fatal blow to US'S aircraft carrier. The Iranian reverberates the American to say "Iran is not Iraq".
October 11th, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer

Four Chinese subs! Whoa watch out now!!!!!

The Guerilla warfare that would insue after the conventional conflict is what's so dangerous, it would be 3x as worse as Iraq.

anyways, thx for reporting the deal.
October 11th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Ming-class is c bit old, but still beter than nothing.

TORPEDOES

The Type 035 has eight 533mm torpedo tubes (6 bow, 2 stern), and carries a total of 18 torpedoes (Yu-1 and/or Yu-4) in tubes and storage racks. Alternatively the submarine can carry 32 mines in its tubes. Yu-4 (SAET-60) passive homing to 15 km at 40 kt, warhead 400 kg; Yu-1 (Type 53-51), to 9.2 km at 39 kt or 3.7 km at 51 kt, warhead 400 kg.