"You Lie" Aftermath - Page 3

--
Boots

September 12th, 2009  
Mighty Mouse

Sorry Rob but it is quite true. I've lived in or very near all those places I mentioned and I stand by my statement that they are equally racist.
Look again at my post. No I didn't say racism doesn't exist.
Yes a bit. People are way overreacting. He said "you're a liar" that's all. It wasn't the "N" word or anything close to it.
I don't know why he couldn't restrain himself. I just don't think it's a big deal.
September 12th, 2009  
redcoat

Even in the British House Of Commons, where heckling and cheers and boo's are fairly normal during a speech, calling someone a lier is a complete no, no.
September 12th, 2009  
Chukpike

Shows how short term peoples memories really are.

If you look at Politics in the South for the last 150 years it would be best if Democrats today, play down the roll of Southern Democrats in the area of race.

In other words, Democrats who live in a glass house should not be so quick to label Southern Republicans as racist. You want to see racist politics in the south, just look at Southern Democrats during the 19th and 20th Centuries.

Like has been said before, this Republican Senator from South Carolina said. "you lie" and as bad as it is, it is not a racist remark.
--
Boots
September 12th, 2009  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse
Oh please, put away the tired old stereotypes. There's no more racism in South Carolina than there is in South Boston or the south side of Chicago. Talk about close mindedness! It was one badly timed word, not an attempt to shout down anyone. I'm sure it came from the frustration people feel from having this thing shoved down their collective throat whether they like it or not.
The only thing he's guilty of is being a bit rude.
Sorry Mighty but thats not true. Racism does occur everywhere, Ill agree with you there, but it IS more prevalent in some parts of the country than others. I went to school in Indiana were it was very prevalent, I would see advertisements for Klan meetings on the way to class. Now in certain parts of NYC like Howard Beach (a Irish-Italian neighborhood) there is alot of racism, but not to the extent of advertisements in public for Klan meetings.
There is no love for black people, but that would simply not be tolerated.

Wilson's comment was rude both personally to Obama, and disrespectful to the Office of President of the United States. No Democrat ever called Bush a liar while giving a speech in front of the Congress even as the whoppers that Bush told about WMD rolled off his lips.

I think we can all imagine the response from conservatives if say Barney Frank had called Bush a liar during a joint house speech.

If we want to follow the English system of Parliment (and as Redcoat said: this was a violation of protocol even for the British) that means that minority has no power at all aside from jeering. No Cloture, no filibustering, nothing.
September 12th, 2009  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Henderson
Not true MightyMouse. Whether or not we care to admit it, there is STILL racism in the world. I live in Alabama, there are still Klan meetings here. As much as I'd LOVE to be able to agree with you, you're just wrong on that one. There is racism in the South.

A bit? A BIT? The man called the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES a liar in the middle of his speech on national television.... Sure, he might've been tired from "having this thing shoved down their collective throat whether they like it or not", but the fact still remains that AAAALLLL those other Republicans were able to restrain themselves... Why couldn't this guy?
Definite breach of decorum, but then again who had heard of Joe Wilson before? He's got name recognition now.
September 12th, 2009  
03USMC

Oh he's got name recognition all right but at what cost to his party?
September 12th, 2009  
Mighty Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
Sorry Mighty but thats not true. Racism does occur everywhere, Ill agree with you there, but it IS more prevalent in some parts of the country than others. I went to school in Indiana were it was very prevalent, I would see advertisements for Klan meetings on the way to class. Now in certain parts of NYC like Howard Beach (a Irish-Italian neighborhood) there is alot of racism, but not to the extent of advertisements in public for Klan meetings.
There is no love for black people, but that would simply not be tolerated.

Wilson's comment was rude both personally to Obama, and disrespectful to the Office of President of the United States. No Democrat ever called Bush a liar while giving a speech in front of the Congress even as the whoppers that Bush told about WMD rolled off his lips.

I think we can all imagine the response from conservatives if say Barney Frank had called Bush a liar during a joint house speech.

If we want to follow the English system of Parliment (and as Redcoat said: this was a violation of protocol even for the British) that means that minority has no power at all aside from jeering. No Cloture, no filibustering, nothing.
You know what mmarsh? I think we established the fact that we are not British more than a couple of hundred years ago and we don't do much the way it's done in Parliament so that's a non-point.
I think the fact that Wilson's remark was ill placed is agreed upon so there's no point to argue there.
Even if Frank did comment on Bush, who could understand him?
This isn't about Bush in any way shape or form so there's no point bringing him into every discussion. It doesn't help your argument.
You can't tell me about racism in NYC, I was born and grew up in Bed-Sty and oh yes there was a lot of racism there (probably the reverse of what you're thinking about). There amy not have been KKK posters but there were tons of militant racist comments plastered on walls and subway cars. 6 of 1 or a half dozen of the other.
September 12th, 2009  
The Other Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukpike
Shows how short term peoples memories really are.

If you look at Politics in the South for the last 150 years it would be best if Democrats today, play down the roll of Southern Democrats in the area of race.

In other words, Democrats who live in a glass house should not be so quick to label Southern Republicans as racist. You want to see racist politics in the south, just look at Southern Democrats during the 19th and 20th Centuries.

Like has been said before, this Republican Senator from South Carolina said. "you lie" and as bad as it is, it is not a racist remark.
And you'll notice too that as soon as LBJ started pushing Civil Rights, the group of em got disgusted and switched parties.
September 12th, 2009  
03USMC

Some of them did switch parties but it wasn't a mass exodus. There is still the Southern Democrat faction within the democratic party and thier views are far more conservative than the mainstream dems
September 12th, 2009  
Chukpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy
And you'll notice too that as soon as LBJ started pushing Civil Rights, the group of em got disgusted and switched parties.
LBJ started pushing Civil Rights? Oh, please. He was to busy ramping up Viet Nam.

So the majority of Southern Democrats became Republicans and the few remaining liberal civil rights loving Democrats overwhelmed the nasty Republicans reinforced by the nasty party switching Democrats.

I can't blame you for memory loss as you are to young.

I have heard on these forums about how bad the education system in the U S has become. I did not believe it until now.

The race issue on this thread is just smoke. It is a tired old attempt by liberals to paint anyone who disagrees with them on any topic as a racist right wing conservative KKK member.

Probably should put a note on any future topics discussing the President's policies that reads.

"Please note that because our current President Is Black (In case you are not aware) anyone disagreeing with his policies:
Will Be Considered a Card Carrying Right Wing KKK White Supremacist, No Matter What Their Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Race May Be."

That way we could just go on to dicussing the issue and not get side tracked so easily.