John Bolton on Ahmadinejad and the UN

Hehe yes but that was the funny thing about his appointment, nominate a anti-UN guy for a diplomatic role at the UN when your entire administration had marginalised itself there.

The only chance he had of success was if the Iraq war had turned out ok other wise he was always going to be relegated to the role of redheaded stepchild.

As far as the world moving on without the US well that is unlikely as the two are intricately entwined, its one of the reasons the US will never leave the UN after all how can you wield power if there is no one to listen.

Last edited:
Why do you guys insist on putting down your own side. America has not lost influence, it has lost nothing. As always, it is leading from the front in a confrontation that HAS to be met, and now is the best time. Do you not understand what sort of institution the UN has become? Do you not see the awful block votes of lousy regimes. America is the hope of the world, the key stone to the future. Pull it out and chaos ensues.

Let me put it this way. On these issues - I'll take Bolton. I feel it was always a spectacular and apt appointment.

Sorry chaps, I'm braced for the punishment - but everybody must get stoned!

Why do you guys insist on putting down your own side. America has not lost influence, it has lost nothing. As always, it is leading from the front in a confrontation that HAS to be met, and now is the best time. Do you not understand what sort of institution the UN has become? Do you not see the awful block votes of lousy regimes. America is the hope of the world, the key stone to the future. Pull it out and chaos ensues.

Let me put it this way. On these issues - I'll take Bolton. I feel it was always a spectacular and apt appointment.

Sorry chaps, I'm braced for the punishment - but everybody must get stoned!

There is a sense of self-defeatism among some Americans.

Do you not understand what sort of institution the UN has become?

The question I would ask is do you actually know what the UN is?

I am still of the opinion that the bulk of the people on this boards opposition to the UN stems solely from it not rubber stamping the Iraq fiasco, this has been made worse since the UN was proved right in not backing it.

However in the interests of fairness what has Bolton achieved at the UN?

I am still of the opinion that the bulk of the people on this boards opposition to the UN stems solely from it not rubber stamping the Iraq fiasco, this has been made worse since the UN was proved right in not backing it.

Amb. Bolton was/is larger than UN. Moreover, what kind of an organization is that when they cant stop Sudanese govt from slaughtering refugees? What kind of an institution is it when they cant stop Iranian regime shameful behavior? Show me one single good thing that has come out of the UN? It's a place where Venezuelan dictator Chavez smears president Bush and the rest of the members laugh with him. It's a bogus and useless institute full of crooks and thieves. Oil for food scandal is one of the primary examples of that.

Dismantle UN or ship it to Syria or Gaza strip.

Last edited:
Amb. Bolton was/is larger than UN. Moreover, what kind of an organization is that when they cant stop Sudanese govt from slaughtering refugees?

What is Canada, America, Australia, New Zealand or any other country on the face of the earth doing to stop the Sudanese government slaughtering these people?
Because the bit you in strange little world continually over look is that the UN is comprised of these nations it is not in itself a political or national entity therefore it is only as good and effective as its member states allow it to be.
Any failing at the UN is a failing of its member states.

Show me one single good thing that has come out of the UN?
Just one?
Too easy, how about the successful missions to Bosnia-Herzegovina or perhaps East Timor oops thats two my bad.
It's a place where Venezuelan dictator Chavez smears president Bush and the rest of the members laugh with him.

Who cares?

It's a bogus and useless institute full of crooks and thieves. Oil for food scandal is one of the primary examples of that.
Again big deal although I would suggest that if just for once you would open you mind you would discover that politics the world over is full of petty thieves and crooks and the UN is no different.

Dismantle UN or ship it to Syria or Gaza strip.
How about a compromise leave the UN where it is and you go to Syria or the Gaza strip it would be cheaper and I am sure we could pass the hat around and get you good seats. Or better yet maybe you could go to Iran and free the place.

Last edited:
As to what Canada or US is doing, I guess, they are doing whatever they can short of military action to stop it. But why not asking the communist Chinese government? They're blocking the western countries to pass any meaningless resolution in the first place and at the meantime selling weapons to Sudan. No?

Bosnia mission was a success becuz NATO led it. UN stood aside and both sides slaughtered each other en mass and when NATO took the lead things got better.

East Timor, again, is where Aussies led the way under a UN mandate. Wonder what would happen if Australians didn't do it.

You may not care about Chavezista's speech to the UN general assembly and think it didnt matter, but in effect, it matters to many of us. May be not to you. May be nothing matters to you. What can I do? It matters to responsible citizens and we shouldnt allow bunch of clowns like Ahmadinejad or Chavez smear the US by using the UN podium.

Yep, you seem not to care that it is MY tax dollars (paid to Canadian government since Canada is one of the huge financial sponsors of UN) that is being misused and stolen by these crooks. But I do. Many people do care.

And as to sending me to Gaza strip or Iran, no thanks. I am fine where I am. Ship the useless UN there and let the thugs have it for good.

This is what responsible citizens of the world do: http://www.unwatch.org/site/c.bdKKISNqEmG/b.1277549/k.BF70/Home.htm

http://www.eyeontheun.org/

Last edited:
And as to sending me to Gaza strip or Iran, no thanks. I am fine where I am. Ship the useless UN there and let the thugs have it for good.

Yeah its much easier for you to sit in Canada trying to convince others to risk their necks for an Iran that only you want to see return isn't it.

Yeah its much easier for you to sit in Canada trying to convince others to risk their necks for an Iran that only you want to see return isn't it.

I have paid my own price trying to free it and thats why I am in Canada. Thanks for the offer though! You just don't know any thing about me so I'd advise you to choose your words carefully.

I really respect Mr. Bolton. I think that he is an incredibly smart man. I honestly believe his words should have more influence than they do.

I certainly wouldn't argue with that but given the environment was/is he the right man for the job?

Let me take a stab at this: The UN is a useless debate forum where diplomats come to give the impression of work being done so that their governments can get away with doing nothing. It was used properly once: in 1950.

Answer to second question: What has anyone achieved at the UN after 1950?

Let me take a stab at this: The UN is a useless debate forum where diplomats come to give the impression of work being done so that their governments can get away with doing nothing. It was used properly once: in 1950.

Answer to second question: What has anyone achieved at the UN after 1950?

Yeah I have to admit yours and P80s answers are classic right wing answers which are based solely around the might is right philosophy and less about fact.

What you guys fail to understand is that the UN is the product of its members you seem to continually see it as a separate entity to the nations it represents and as long as you have that view you will never understand its function.

Once again notable examples are UNTSO, UNAMSIL, UNTAET, SFOR all very successful missions of the last few years.

If the East Timor thing is up there then you can cross it off. The troops arrived after everyone had gone through killing each other off.

Yeah I have to admit yours and P80s answers are classic right wing answers which are based solely around the might is right philosophy and less about fact.

What you guys fail to understand is that the UN is the product of its members you seem to continually see it as a separate entity to the nations it represents and as long as you have that view you will never understand its function.

Once again notable examples are UNTSO, UNAMSIL, UNTAET, SFOR all very successful missions of the last few years.

You're right and I agree. And thats why the US should put some body like Bolton there to move things around and get reforms done to better the performance of this corrupt institution. Canada, Australia, US, UK must work together and reform the United Nations. If this can't be done, I dont know why we, tax-payers, should continue funding UN!?

Any ways, successful missions done under UN mandates were done either by the US, UK or Australia. UN didn't do any thing other than issuing a toothless statement. It was US led NATO force in Bosnia, or Australian military in Timor that enforced those toothless resolutions. You think UN could force Saddam out of Kuwait with some resolutions?

Last edited:
Back