India, China seek to resolve boundary dispute - Page 2

April 10th, 2005  

Topic: Agree...

I will hate to see option 1. And I will wish they will solve the border dispute in a hurry. I think border dispute is easier than Paki alliance issue. I believe Paki and India need to start fixing their kinks instead having others to pick sides. It is tough that strategic benefits being factored in first instead of building long lasting friendship.
April 10th, 2005  
thunder, nice comments, however from my analsis of the relathionship i came up wiht soemthing different

china would choose india aginist pakistan anyday, but one reason why china chose pakistan

oil, pakistan is currently a great place for a port which would transfer oil directly to chian through their border region, and this port is currently under construction

this could be seen also when china is improving its relationship with iran and several other middle eastern country, this is trying to ensure future oil demands since china too is a fuel driven economy

teh future of the world is computers, IT, manfuactring and resources, china and india together will produce this diverse result
April 11th, 2005  

Topic: Premier Wen in New Delhi for landmark visit

Premier Wen in New Delhi for landmark visit

News Source: XinhuaNet

BEIJING, April 11 -- Visiting Premier Wen Jiabao arrived in the Indian capital yesterday evening, and is expected to meet with senior Indian leaders today in a landmark visit aimed at pushing bilateral relations to a new high.

Analysts anticipated the tour will lead to a major step forward towards the resolution of the long-standing border dispute between the two sides.

"China and India, both developing countries, could have a positive influence on peace and development in Asia and even the whole world, through a harmonious relationship, enhancing mutual trust and expanding co-operation," Wen said.

China is ready to work with India on expanding relations from a strategic and overall perspective, as well as address issues left over from history, he said.

Wen made the remarks upon touching down on Indian soil late Saturday from Sri Lanka.

The premier spent most of the weekend visiting Bangalore, the "silicon valley of India," before flying to New Delhi yesterday afternoon.

He is on the last leg of a four-nation South Asian tour, which started with Pakistan on April 5, and also took him to Bangladesh.

Wen is due to meet Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today.

They "will talk about all the important issues, and the border question will also be discussed," Indian Home Minister Shivraj Patil was quoted by Xinhua as saying.

However, Patil cautioned against pinning too much hope on the talks, saying results should not be expected overnight, according to Xinhua.

Before Wen embarked on the tour, Vice-Foreign Minister Wu Dawei revealed in Beijing that during the premier's visit, China and India may agree on guiding principles to help them resolve their border dispute.

The vice-minister stressed the current border issue would not stand in the way to advancing friendly and co-operative relations between China and India.

Yesterday in New Delhi, special representatives from China and India ended their fifth round of talks after reaching an agreement on the guiding principles on the solution of the border issue.

Officials from the Chinese delegation told Xinhua the meeting was held in a cordial, co-operative and constructive atmosphere.

China's Special Representative and Vice-Foreign Minister Dai Bingguo reached an agreement with Indian Special Representative and National Security Advisor M K Narayanan.

Both sides agreed the next round of talks would be held in Beijing at a date acceptable to both countries.
April 11th, 2005  
godofthunder9010, I think the position of both countries would be somewhere in between those two points you mentioned. There will be massive cooperation, this is just the beginning, but there will be competition too. Healthy competition is good always.
There is progress on the border issue too, the 4000 k.m. long border which has been a traditional trade route since ages and its virtually shut down with no exchanges for many years now, if they settle the boundary issue and open the roads for trade and commerce there would be a phenomenal increase in the bilateral trade. There's already some progress on this, the premier Wen Jiabao this time is carrying maps which he would exchange with his Indian counterpart which show Sikkim, a north-eastern state of india, as a part of India. Earlier they claimed Sikkim to be theirs though it was in India.
The last thing is now the chinese claim of the state of Arunachal Pradesh, they claim that India occupies 90,000 square kilometres of China's territory. India claims that China occupies 40,000 square kilometres of Indian territory (Aksai Chin in Jammu and Kashmir). Once this particular issue is settled then we can expect really good things in the future. But I think it'll be a tough task for both the sides to give up their land claims

the red area at the top right which is called Aksai Chin is claimed by India and it is occupied by China now, the red area in the left bottom is the Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh which is claimed by china as its territory and is occupied by India now, The small red area in the middle is the state of Sikkim in India which China now has recognised as India's.
April 11th, 2005  

Topic: China and India sign border deal

Xion Where Did you get that Crappy Map .......

Look Mine is Better

Source:BBC News

India and China have signed an agreement in Delhi aimed at resolving a long-running dispute over their Himalayan border.

India's national security adviser said it was "one of the most significant documents" signed by the two countries.

The agreement was sealed as Indian premier Manmohan Singh met visiting Chinese counterpart Wen Jiabao.

The world's two most populous countries fought a bitter war over their largely unmarked border in 1962.

'Major process'

India's National Security Adviser MK Narayanan told Indian television that Indian and Chinese officials had worked out a roadmap for resolving the disputed 3,550km (2,200 mile) border.

"It shows a lot of give and take on both sides," he said.
"We are very hopeful that this document will be the starting point of a major process in the settlement of the boundary dispute between India and China."

The joint statement by the two countries did not go into specifics on the issue, talking of "political parameters" and "guiding principles".

However, China has now formally given up its claim to the state of Sikkim.

The joint statement refers to "the Sikkim State of the Republic of India".

Until now, China had never recognised India's 1975 annexation of Sikkim.

On the remaining issues of contention, the statement said "special representatives" would negotiate the issues, adding: "Both sides are convinced that an early settlement of the boundary question will advance the basic interests of the two countries."

Both sides have previously claimed the other is occupying parts of its land.

While India has accused China of occupying territory in Kashmir, Beijing has laid claim to territory in the north-east Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh.

IT connection

However, analysts say the border differences have been played down in recent times as China and India developed a blossoming economic relationship.

In addition to the border plans, Mr Wen said the two countries had set a target of increasing annual trade to $30bn by 2010.

China also reiterated its support for India to be given a permanent seat on the UN Security Council.

On Sunday, Mr Wen visited Bangalore, where he urged closer ties in the fields of science and technology.

"If India and China co-operate in the IT industry, we will be able to lead the world... and it will signify the coming of the Asian century of the IT industry," Mr Wen said.

The Chinese premier is on the final leg of his first South Asian tour since taking office last March.
April 11th, 2005  
This is very good news. These are the first steps of relieving political tensions between the two. I would like to see more of this.
April 11th, 2005  
Xion or anyone, I'm curious about one thing. China claims a pretty sizable chunk of land just north of Bangladesh. One thing I would like to clarify: Has the PRC ever controlled that territory or are they just claiming it based on some old extinct Dynasty that control that territory? What is the basis of China's claims?

Most any account of the Sino-India War focusses in the territory that the Chinese seized near Kashmir.
April 11th, 2005  
While the Chinese claim to Aksai Chin is somewhat makeable while making the great assumption that their claim to Tibet pre-invasion was legitimate (which neither I, nor the Indian government's position neither holds true or at all makeable), the Chinese claim to what later became Aksai Chin is completely preposterous. At no time in history has that area fallen under control of, has ever been suzeran to, has ever paid tribute to, or even had cultural contact with any Chinese empire, ever.
April 12th, 2005  
Originally Posted by rajkhalsa
While the Chinese claim to Aksai Chin is somewhat makeable while making the great assumption that their claim to Tibet pre-invasion was legitimate (which neither I, nor the Indian government's position neither holds true or at all makeable), the Chinese claim to what later became Aksai Chin is completely preposterous. At no time in history has that area fallen under control of, has ever been suzeran to, has ever paid tribute to, or even had cultural contact with any Chinese empire, ever.
So it was controlled by the Kingdom we currently refer to as Tibet then? If so, when did that occur?

I'm sure you realize that we may have Flames in the forecast over disputing China's right to Tibet. There is no other nation on the planet that I'm aware of that officially sanctions the invasion of Tibet as valid or legal or legitimate. Just China says it was legit. China seems to make up for the lack of consensus by instilling in its citizens an absolute certainty that Tibet always was part of China and that its long existance as a separate kingdom and culture was a figment of history's deranged imagination. All opinions to the contrary are a direct result of American Imperialist propaganda, or some other such.

Can we skip over the pointless debate perhaps?
April 12th, 2005  
actually we never claimed it

if we did we wouldnve taken it during 62'

we dont claim any land at all, except for parts of manchuria that were truly manchu territory and taiwan, which is chinese