immigrant pay - Page 2

--
Boots

January 10th, 2004  
>*CrAzY*<

plus, the Mexican immigrants get 5 years of no/reduced/deducted taxes and other benefits and some come for 5 years, and at the end, they have tons of money for mexico, and leave... my mom had a student who said his parents were doin that
January 11th, 2004  
diplomatic_means

Alright round of appluase for everyone. You came out of your shells and as you actually spoke your OPINION noe of you came across as blatantly racist. And you thought you were going to get attacked in the streets because you put your opinion on a BB. People shouldn't worry about such things and just be clear and competely honest with their communication from the get go. Now, my opinion, comes from a quote by a guy named Maddox.

"It's obvious that if you force companies like WalMart to pay illegal immigrants the same wage as Americans, then they have no incentive to hire them over citizens."
~Maddox

This is part of my belief. What do people think? And don't scurry away in fear.
January 11th, 2004  
Tessa

Actually, I don't thik the immigrants is actual the big problem in this situation.. Ever considered this world being over populated?

Here in Sweden we are in the same situation more or less as you in the US are when it comes to job..

But when I looked closer and asked people about it.. Both Swedish people and immigrants..

It showed that both of us had no bigger chance of getting a job..

so is it the immigrants fault? or how we have constructed the society?

I think this is a very interesting matter myself..
--
Boots
January 11th, 2004  
>*CrAzY*<

do you mean have we constructed the society to go for more work for less pay or what? i'm lost

i know here, that you can hire a Mexican immigrant and usually they will do the same job for less. and probably do it better... i dunno...

and they are trying to make all these cures.... anyone ever think that that might be a way to keep the earth from being overpopulated?
January 11th, 2004  
Wingnutz

There are a lot of jobs that most Americans just won't do. Immigrants take these jobs since they start out on the bottom rung. My grandparents came from Europe and took jobs in the coal mines for little pay and hard work. They were honest hard working people who valued family and education. It took three generations for my fiamily to graduate someone from college but we took our place in society and worked hard to get to where we are today.

This is the way this country has always worked. It is a free enterprise system and everyone who wants to can make a living here and prosper. My grandparents were legal immigrants and were treated roughly when they got here. I understand that the problem is with illegal immigrants taking jobs away from Americans. My point is that these illegals take the jobs that no one else wants. When was the last time you were turned down for a job as a migrant farm worker or a dishwasher/busboy at a restaurant because some illegal beat you to it?

There is plenty of work. You have to earn the right to choose your job.
January 11th, 2004  
Redneck

We employ a massive number of migrant agricultural workers where I live, and no, I don't think that any Americans would do the job they do for the same pay, which is fine with me. I have no problem with migrant workers with work visas, but illegals create an enormous amount of problems that cost us a lot of money. These problems aren't just related to keeping them out or finding them once they're here, but it is also nearly impossible to regulate their employers (which seems to have been what prompted this discussion in the first place). It's not just their pay that needs to be regulated, but their business practices as well. One ex-rancher (now convict) brought about 40 illegal Southeast Asian immigrants over and put them on his ranch back in the hills as basically slave labor. No one even knew about them until one was found wandering in the mountains. If they were registered (legal) this would not have happened.
My position is I don't care how many legal immigrants we have, everybody has ancestors who immigrated here at one point (even the "Native" Americans), but I DO care about illegal immigrants and do not like the problems they generate.
January 11th, 2004  
Guardsman_Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnutz
. When was the last time you were turned down for a job as a migrant farm worker or a dishwasher/busboy at a restaurant because some illegal beat you to it
I have been turned down six different times for a dish washing job.
I have also been fired from 2 other jobs and and replaced by Mexicans in both of these cases I knew why I had been fired as I had been told off the record.
btw My sister is Filipino and she and her kids all worked in the fields picking Onions ,Strawberries ,etc . one day one of her kids was ill and I offered to take his place she checked with her boss and when he was told that I was White he said no...anyone care to try and explain that.
January 12th, 2004  
Wingnutz

Well, I think it is like Redneck says. The problem is with the illegals and the employers that use the slave labor. I had honestly hoped that someone would come back and say that they lost jobs to illegal aliens. You do not say if you were relieved from your job and replaced by illegals. If you were then I would turn that employer over to the INS in a New York minute. Seems like maybe there is more going on with that employer than meets the eye. Since you are a legal citizen, or white as you put it, he may feel that he cannot control you as he does the others which suggests that he may be doing some business that may not be exactly on cue with the law. I live in South Texas and there is a lot of drug traffic that comes through this area. Illegals are often running the contraband through here. Unsavory businesses help to move the contraband along for a piece of the action.

So I have to agree with Redneck in that I have no problem with legal immigrants working here. It is the illegal trade in human resources that is the problem.
January 12th, 2004  
Guardsman_Ca

Quote:
You do not say if you were relieved from your job and replaced by illegals
Yes they were.

Quote:
If you were then I would turn that employer over to the INS in a New York minute
another guy I worked with called INS and they checked the place out and took 4 people away for forged documents. I found this out about 3weeks affter I got another job.
I don't have a problem with Legalised Immigrants it's only the one who are not here legally.
January 13th, 2004  
>*CrAzY*<

i understand where you are getting... but for the reason that there is someone else who will do the job, americans have become somewhat selfish. When there was no one else to hoe the field, Americans were out there doing their work... therefore farmed by americans anmd all that good stuff was true. I think America should just open their eyes... and see what else there is to offer.... i mena i understand where your grandparents were standing, but they were leagal, and now are accepted by society i would think.... dunno, but i gotta go for school ttyl