Human rights ( in military) - Page 8

--

November 17th, 2004  
A Can of Man

I made a little post on that incident but I'll just say it here too.

I would say the American Marine is not guilty of any crime only becuase the Iraqis until that point have used the dead and wounded as booby traps before on a regular basis. The wounded would be the "smart" trigger for a sack of explosives or a grenade... waiting for enough Marines to get close enough.
You have to keep the enemy and situation in consideration.
November 17th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

I think you made a good point here.

It is true in combats the soldiers simply got terrified by anything from enemy side.

We have a old saying: when in extremly dangerous and terrified war cases, especially at night, you "think" every grass or tree as an "enemy".
November 17th, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer

The terrorist/insurgents in Iraq have consistenly violated the laws of war. They technically shouldn't have any rights.

I don't judge the marine in the least.
--
November 17th, 2004  
Hegario

I can't blame the marine either. He had to make a split-second life/death decision on that one. A couple of days ago a BBC-correspondent for example said that they were ambushed by a group while they were accepting surrender from another group. These are the tactics which the insurgents use.

But pictures such as these have a serious effect on the overall situation. With things like this happening and pictures like this spreading all over the middle east, the most likely result is just going to be further radicalization.
November 17th, 2004  
Young Winston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocobo_Blitzer
The terrorist/insurgents in Iraq have consistenly violated the laws of war. They technically shouldn't have any rights.

Yep, the Marine was in a combat situation but to say "They technically shouldn't have any rights" now thats going way too far. Now, we don't want to get as bad as them do we?
November 17th, 2004  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejohn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocobo_Blitzer

Yep, the Marine was in a combat situation but to say "They technically shouldn't have any rights" now thats going way too far. Now, we don't want to get as bad as them do we?
No we should not stoop to their level but neither should a Marine have to wait for the "surrendering" "wounded" insurgent to detonate a body bomb or toss a grenade into his fire team.
If it comes down to the possibility of him or his fellow Marines being wounded or killed he has an obligation to engage the target.
November 17th, 2004  
Young Winston

Quite agree, 03USMC.
November 17th, 2004  
MadeInChina

thats not really a human rights abuse: its ur ticket to life or death to kill the wounded or not