How difficult is it to get into Ranger School?

bmacd

i signed with the National Guard as an Infantryman and leave September 16th, 2004. While at OSUT/Basic in Ft. Benning, GA, i plan on going to the Air Borne and Air Assault school, as well as the Ranger program that's down there. How difficult is it to get it? My ASVAB scores were high (through the roof as my unit phrased it), and i qualify for OCS if that makes any difference. Granted, i may only be a weekend warrior, but i'm going to take advantage of every opportunity that army gives me to advance myself. Thanks :)

-=bmacd=-

Top priotity goes to those whose MOS will use the training they receive at those schools, so if you're 11B then you would have a better chance of getting into the more specialized schools, let alone multiple ones (Air Assault is in Ft. Lewis, WA), but I have no idea what your Natty Guard status will do for that.

For myself, I fought tooth and nail to get an Airborne slot, and now the Army wants to send me to Korea this summer instead, so don't believe anything is definite until you've reported to the school itself.
Some advice, however, don't take "no" for an answer, just keep on them about giving you a slot, and eventually you'll wear them down. And then they'll send you to Korea. :lol:

Korea??? :?

A bit off-topic, but what do you (USA) have in Korea now?

bmacd said:
i signed with the National Guard as an Infantryman and leave September 16th, 2004. While at OSUT/Basic in Ft. Benning, GA, i plan on going to the Air Borne and Air Assault school, as well as the Ranger program that's down there. How difficult is it to get it? My ASVAB scores were high (through the roof as my unit phrased it), and i qualify for OCS if that makes any difference. Granted, i may only be a weekend warrior, but i'm going to take advantage of every opportunity that army gives me to advance myself. Thanks :)

-=bmacd=-

sorry to say if, but if you are gaurd or reserve, there is almost no chance of getting into RIP. Unless you are active duty 11B, and a select other jobs, it's gonna be really really really hard, if not impossible.

EDIT: The only way to stay gaurd and be a Ranger is to get your commission, get Infantry as your branch, and go through RIP through there.

Redleg said:
Korea??? :?

We've got troops all along the DMZ to keep the pinkos out, remember nataliemarie? She's stationed in Korea.

An entire army group of 37,000 people and alot of pissed off Sotuh Koreans who want us to leave.

For My Wannabe Ranger, why don't you check out goarmy.com, they currently have their 2400/7 series up and this month is a feature on Ranger School. :D

GuyontheRight said:

An entire army group of 37,000 people and alot of pissed off Sotuh Koreans who want us to leave.

For My Wannabe Ranger, why don't you check out goarmy.com, they currently have their 2400/7 series up and this month is a feature on Ranger School. :D
bwahahaha Wannabe Ranger....so harsh dude

Hey, I meant it in a good way. One other note, dont ever follow those panzie's who sue the army over the "harshness" of the school. A couple months back somthing like that happned at Benning and the instructores, at least on paper, aren't suppose to sh*t on you as heavy.

Actaully no, heres a list of PACOM assinged units to ROK.

1st Signal Brigade
2nd Infantry Division
6th Cavalry Brigade
8th Military Police Brigade
8 th Personnel Command
17th Aviation Brigade
18th Medical Command
19th Theater Support Command
175th Finance Command
501st Corps Support Group
501st Military Intelligence Brigade
Area 1 Support Activity

Keep in mind these are only Army units, Im not sure about the Navy and Air Force, but I know we dont have many Marines there.

Hey y'all ;)

Guyontheright.. you have it right on as far as army units in the ROK go.

Plus, we've got Osan Airbase (maybe more?)... along with Airmen stationed on army posts, such as Camp Humphreys.

As far as I know, there is only a handful of Marines in country. We do have Marines come for training... but usually just TDY and don't stay long.

PFC Natalie Hughes

"Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhiliration of victory."
-General George Patton Jr.

If you're going in as 11B there is a good chance you can get Ranger school depending on your unit. It's all about budget. Some have more money than others and can pay for the hooah schools more than others. The same goes for Airborne and Dope on a rope school. You should check the NG units in your area and see if any have an LRS unit. Most of those have fairly good $$$ coming in and can usually get slots.
Also, remember, Ranger School will not and does not make you a Ranger, it just makes you Ranger qualified. If you want to become a Ranger, go Active Duty on an Option 40 contract, survive RIP and go to a Ranger Battalion. There is no such thing as a NG or Reserve Ranger unit.

LRS. My guy is in a LRSD unit, he loves it. He was on the line for a while in Iraq, then got switched over. It was definately a heaven send. LRSD has treated him well. They get deployed a lot, and do some crazy stuff.. but if you want people who take care of their own. LRSD is it.

As far as Ranger training goes.. I'm a "chick" so thats out for me (for now..). But, at Jump School.. close to the last day, the black hats asked who wanted to go to RIP. If you wanted to go, you raised your hand, signed some papers, and that was it. ... I raised my hand, but they said, "No Airborne..put your hand down" Damn..

Good Luck and Rndersafe is right. Go active.

shit I'm pissed I can't even get my jump wings this summer....MY PT score is a 254 (used to be a 280), and my unit won't send me....

They may not send you for various reasons .. you're not in the "right" MOS. There isn't enough money. Or there is no reason for you to go to abn school no matter your MOS. If they don't have a need for a "P" (Paratrooper MOS identifier) then they aren't going to waste the money to send you, regardless. You might try to get dope on a rope (Air Assault).

Back