Firearm Quiz

Ah Ha! The Pedersen rifle which I had completely forgotten about (I was too cocky about thinking of the Pedersen device). It needed waxed cartridges, The British were looking at it but knocked it back as they argued that the cartridges would not be suitable for Singapore's climate.

If I'm right, that is a real brain bender, why didn't I think of it when I thought of the Breda. What fun that must have been in the Western desert in a dust storm?

Yeah thats it. The main competitor to your beloved M1 Garand in the late 1920s before they switched back to .30 calibre.

The Japanese did alot of work of on it. Gave it a 10 round rotary magazine but never got around to getting it to stop ripping the heads off of casings. (Hence the need for wax coating)

Though I hear they are very pleasant to shoot, in favarable conditions of course. Havn't seen or handled one yet but I wouldn't mind giving one a try. I can only dream of shooting a .276 Garand.

Now I am afraid I have to insist that you give a question!

To keep the thread going.

imageOOR.JPG

Identify this rifle.

That there is an experimental M1 Garand. It was designed for the planned invasion of the Japanese Home Islands. It was an off shoot of the T20 program. Which was a M1 Garand modified to work with BAR magazines.

The model you have shown is the planned paratrooper model. It is a M1E5 M1 Garand. They never went beyond the planning statge and were never put into large scale production.

It certainly has many features similar to the PpSh. If it's not one of his designs, the designer certainly was influenced by him.

Back