Does the U.S. media cover the war fairly?

--

August 30th, 2004  
proteinxx

Topic: Does the U.S. media cover the war fairly?

Does the U.S. media cover the war fairly?

Mod edit: In the future, do not edit away topic starters once you get tired of your own topic for whatever reason.
August 30th, 2004  
Jason Bourne

Dude, you like controlled options huh.
August 30th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

No they don't, In fact their so far left one could argue they hurt moral.
--
August 30th, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer

Not really, it only pays attention to death. Civilian, military, and enemy. Never progress in any other spectrum.
August 30th, 2004  
gladius

proteinxx,

I'm starting to really suspect you are from a totaly communist country that likes to control the way people think, by the way you like to control how we think.

You give us three little choices all in favor of your own agenda.

This survey is a load of crock.
August 30th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

I agree with gladius, the objectivity of the US media has been established as more left then right, and to say It's influencing people In this country for the war Is just not true.
August 30th, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer

Yup I agree with that guy on the right side there- no no, not him, that! guy

...err, that the majority of our media is terribly anti-war. It's saddening how little the media thinks of our troopers.
August 30th, 2004  
Redneck

All of you calm down, there will be no flame wars allowed here, and starting one will not be tolerated. If you feel a poll is unfair or doesn't give you the options you would like, either do not post in that thread or post a reply stating your own opinion, no one is being forced to either read or reply to anything here.

On topic, I do not believe the U.S. media as a whole is covering the conflict responsibly. I cannot say anything about how completely it is covered, although I have heard a lot of things from friends I have over seas that do not jive with what I see in the news, but I have no personal experience with which to attack that aspect of their coverage. I do, however, find fault with the general portrayal of the Iraqi insurgents as freedom fighters, which necessarily casts our own military in the role of oppressor, something that I see as a betrayal of and a great slander against our servicemen and women. Yesterday the Sacramento Bee newspaper ran a front page article about al-Sadr's militia withdrawing from the Imam Ali shrine in Najaf that equated the use of IEDs with that of tanks.* Although I realize that there are many folks who believe that such cowardly devices are justified by the disparity in training and armament between ourselves and these terrorists, the fact that my own nation's media has decided to portray our enemy in such a light is, to my mind, disgusting and extremely unprofessional.

*The Sacramento Bee; "Smell of death fills Najaf as truce begins," Alex Berenson, NY Times 28AUG2004.
August 30th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

To be anti-war is resonable, considering the horrer the very nature of war brings, but the attamepts to undermine policy, and fuel the conflict, are what makes them blatently left-leaning. They refuse to look at the good, as mentioned, for journalism as a field usually look on the bad. They also have clear political agendas (Ted Turner anyone), that influence the way they report.
August 30th, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer

Yeah I gotcha, I shouldn't have used the term "anti-war" but yeah, you got it.