Did Jessica Lynch desearve the Bronze Star? - Page 7

View Poll Results :Did Jessica Lynch desearve the Bronze Star?
Yes 2 4.76%
No 40 95.24%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

--

April 4th, 2004  
RnderSafe

Quote:
Hm..
I hope you don't tell me that you are my father in your next reply..
I'm your Father's brother's uncle's second cousin's [twice removed] roomate from college.
April 4th, 2004  
truckstop cop

noooooooooooooooooooooo
April 6th, 2004  
Redneck

RnderSafe, about the CIB, I was just killing time reading the September-October 2003 issue of Armor magazine and apparently there's talk about bringing back the CAB (Combat Armor Badge).

I apologize for the off-topic post.
--
April 6th, 2004  
Jtf2

Bronze Star, Purple Heart and Prisoner of War medals

wow...a little much no?
April 6th, 2004  
Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtf2

wow...a little much no?
Is there a POW medal??
April 6th, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtf2

wow...a little much no?
Ok, I have become convinced that I was on the wrong side of this debate at the beginning thanks to some input from men who actually knew what they were talking about, but Jtf2, which of those medals exactly would you suggest be taken away from her? Which one did she not earn? It has been proven to my satisfaction that this Soldier truly did earn the Bronze Star, and there is no ground to stand on whatsoever to say that she did not earn the Purple Heart (given for wounds received in combat) or the Prisoner of War Medal (unless I am horribly mistaken, she was an Iraqi POW for some time).
I hate to sound like a hypocrite here considering my original position, but, aside from her undoubtably earning each of those medals, it is not the place of any one of us to try to take away from her sacrifice by defaming her name or belittling those medals.
April 6th, 2004  
Jtf2

I was poiting out the bronze star... she deserved the purple heart and the POW...

But i mean...she was practicly in a hotel and she didnt even fire a round...she drop on her knees and prayed ...
April 6th, 2004  
Redneck

The justification for her Bronze Star is in the preceding posts, read through the posts in this thread and, if you still have a problem with it, post again naming your other arguments.
April 6th, 2004  
Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnderSafe
The bronze star fits her circumstance. Many people do different things to get them, some get shot ... some wreck, some fight tooth and nail. You won't see an 11B get a bronze (most times) as quickly as a support MOS during such an event ... simply because the 11B is expected to preform to higher standards.
I think this quote from RnderSafe explains pretty good why she deserved the medal..
April 14th, 2004  
DTop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnderSafe
The bronze star fits her circumstance. Many people do different things to get them, some get shot ... some wreck, some fight tooth and nail. You won't see an 11B get a bronze (most times) as quickly as a support MOS during such an event ... simply because the 11B is expected to preform to higher standards.
I think this quote from RnderSafe explains pretty good why she deserved the medal..
Speaking once again as an 11B with Bronze Stars I agree with Rndr too but maybe for slightly different reasons. I'm not sure about the different standards. I would hope that a helicopter mechanic would be expected to be as good a mechanic as I was expected to be at my job as an infantryman. It's just that our jobs usually put us in different proximity to the enemy. When that mechanic is forced to confront the enemy and he performs well and survives then it may well be considered above and beyond his normal duties. Whenever I confronted the enemy, it was just my job. If that's what Rndr meant, I agree.
Jessica Lynch was obviously no 11B and as has been stated before, if her superiors saw fit to award her a Bronze Star, in my eyes she deserved it for whatever she did. I'd sure hate to be the guy that told me that I don't deserve mine.