Chinese T-98 MBT vs American M1A1 - Page 6

--

July 5th, 2004  
BmrSooner451

Dont forget that the M1A2 supposadly has DU in/for it's armor, or even cereamic armor, chumbum i think it's called but i do not remember
July 5th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Following are some info about the T-98, a bit old though.

China Set To Field World's Most Powerful Tank

China has made substantial advances in some areas of its ground and naval forces, including upgrades to tanks and armor, laser systems and anti-submarine warfare.

Jane's Defense Weekly, a respected Britain-based military journal, said the People's Liberation Army is set to deploy a new main battle tank, or MBT, that, when fielded, will become the most powerful of its kind in the world.

The magazine said the tank will feature a huge 152 mm main gun with an automatic loader that, when coupled with a new advanced aiming system, will enable the tank to fire on the move with high first-hit-first-kill capability.

The U.S. military's M1A2 Abrams MBT, which is generally considered one of the world's best tanks, features only a 120 mm M256 smoothbore gun, developed by Rheinmetall GmbH of Germany. It, too, can fire while in motion and has a high first-shot capability.

The M1A2 Abrams is an upgrade of the M1A1.

Jane's said China's new MBT is outfitted with advanced armor and an active protection system would also be fitted on the tank for increased survivability.

Another of the newest MBTs currently in mass production in China is the Type 98, a slightly more advanced derivative of the Type 96. But the Type 98, according to published assessments, is fitted with a 125 mm smoothbore main gun.

The latter two MBTs also are fitted with a JD-3 integrated laser rangefinder/warning/self-defense device also called a "dazzler" which uses a high-powered laser to directly attack the enemy weapon's optics and gunner.

AFPC said China is believed to be the first country to use such active laser defense devices on its tanks.
July 5th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmrSooner451
Dont forget that the M1A2 supposadly has DU in/for it's armor, or even cereamic armor, chumbum i think it's called but i do not remember
DU(Depleted Uranium), same for T-98.

But DU bombs are not the best one.

M829A1 DU bombs were used in M1A1/2 in Gulf War.
The best in US Army is of type E3 which can penetrate 800mm armour.
--
July 5th, 2004  
Big_Z

Yea they think "the most powerful " is it having a 125mm cannon. Trust me that tank wont hold a candle to a m1. The chinese have no 21st century knowledge on what makes a tank good or bad except to add a bigger cannon. Experience is everything the Chinese have next to none. They can add 10 million men to their military and it wont change a thing.
July 5th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Z
Yea they think "the most powerful " is it having a 125mm cannon. Trust me that tank wont hold a candle to a m1. The chinese have no 21st century knowledge on what makes a tank good or bad except to add a bigger cannon. Experience is everything the Chinese have next to none. They can add 10 million men to their military and it wont change a thing.
Well, you can say anything you want, that's your problem
July 5th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Quote:
Trust me that tank wont hold a candle to a m1.
Why should people trust you? Cuz you said T-98 stands no single chance against M1?

Show your arguments, facts, no flaming BS please.
July 5th, 2004  
Big_Z

EXPERIENCE. Paper facts are just that paper facts. A dodge viper looks better on paper then a porsche but you know what, that porsche will smoke it on the track. "The latter two MBTs also are fitted with a JD-3 integrated laser rangefinder/warning/self-defense device also called a "dazzler" which uses a high-powered laser to directly attack the enemy weapon's optics and gunner" is that a joke? It makes me laugh.
July 5th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Z
EXPERIENCE. Paper facts are just that paper facts. A dodge viper looks better on paper then a porsche but you know what, that porsche will smoke it on the track. "The latter two MBTs also are fitted with a JD-3 integrated laser rangefinder/warning/self-defense device also called a "dazzler" which uses a high-powered laser to directly attack the enemy weapon's optics and gunner" is that a joke? It makes me laugh.
Well, you laugh or cry does not change a single point in the issue

OK, serious:

1. You said "EXPERIENCE". Sure I respect "experience". But let me remind you a bit, yesterday Greece won the Europe Cup, while almost everyone thinks Greece stond NO SINGLE chance to enter even the second round, obviously according to their "experience", me too, I was totally surprised that this "weak Greece" beat Spain, France, Tschie, Portugal, and WON the Euro Cup

2. Please give me a break, those words were quoted from Jane's and US government published articles, not written by Chinese, OK, you can continue to laugh
July 5th, 2004  
Big_Z

Sports = yearly training. War = hundreds of years of training. Upsets in war are pretty much impossible this isnt a 4 hour event this is months possibly years to the final bell. And sports are based around skill war is based around knowledge and experieice. Which China has a lack of.
July 5th, 2004  
Big_Z

I might had come on a little strong sorry. But you gotta understand that adding things like lasers to harm enemy tank optics just sound dumb to me. China doesent even make its own tanks they simply upgrade russian tanks how can they have somthin to combat a abrams when russian tanks are seen as junk compared to western tanks. Upgrade somthin from America, U.K., Germany, Israel and ill be impressed.