Panther G 10 58.82%
Type 97(Oh well...) 0 0%
M15/42 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

--

August 13th, 2005  
ill be damed if i know

well different tanks were better for different reasons
like the sherman was cheaper and quicker to build but the tiger(in my opinion best tank of the war if you mean fire power and armour) was more expensive but better
August 25th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill be damed if i know
well different tanks were better for different reasons
like the sherman was cheaper and quicker to build but the tiger(in my opinion best tank of the war if you mean fire power and armour) was more expensive but better
Yes thats true, but the best all around tank was the Panther G and F models. Sherman was't a matter of cheaper, but that America had more factories and man power.
August 26th, 2005  
FULLMETALJACKET

purrr goes the panther g
--
August 26th, 2005  
bushpig1998

My vote goes to the T34.
The fact that it was easy to manufacture and cheaper is also a testiment to it's supoerior design. Just because something has a bigger gun, is faster or better armoured, doesn't make it the best. The best would be a tank that combined ease of manufacture, cheapness, firepower, armour and speed....and that it what you get in the T34.

I love cost effective, reliable and simple military machines with crews in them that has had superior training.
August 26th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpig1998
My vote goes to the T34.
The fact that it was easy to manufacture and cheaper is also a testiment to it's supoerior design. Just because something has a bigger gun, is faster or better armoured, doesn't make it the best. The best would be a tank that combined ease of manufacture, cheapness, firepower, armour and speed....and that it what you get in the T34.

I love cost effective, reliable and simple military machines with crews in them that has had superior training.

Well, the T-34/76 was cheap. It had terrible radios, crappy engine, armor wasn't the best, gun was small. 40,000 out of 50,000 that where made in between 1941 and 1944 where knocked But I will give you that the T-34 was cost effective as was the Sherman, two very good machines.
August 26th, 2005  
Maciste

What about the French tanks? They had fine equipmen for their time, the Somua 35, the Char B1-bis... sadly they didn't knew how to employ them.
August 29th, 2005  
LeEnfield

Maciste.....Did the French Tanks actually fight in any major Battle during WW2
August 29th, 2005  
Peterminator

HI
In my opinion the T-34 was the best all-round tank in WW2 but
the heaveiest and strongest was the King Tiger
It took Fricken heavy artillery and airpower to kock one out
September 8th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterminator
HI
In my opinion the T-34 was the best all-round tank in WW2 but
the heaveiest and strongest was the King Tiger
It took Fricken heavy artillery and airpower to kock one out
Not really, the King is just like the M1A1HC, heavily armored front, less armored rear.
September 9th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
Maciste.....Did the French Tanks actually fight in any major Battle during WW2
Yes they did. Their tanks were a fair bit slower, better armored and better armed than their German counterparts (the Panzers I,II,III,IV) during the 40 day German pummelling of France. Germany had this novel idea: Mass the tanks and use them to cut the enemy line in half, aka Blitzkrieg. France went with a more traditional role for their tanks: disperse them evenly as a support weapon for the infantry, effectively negating their most useful function of being able to move quickly in battle. The BEF and France had more total tanks than Germany, but because they were not correctly used, they lost. You'll never hear much praise thrown at them. Germany invaded France and the Lower Countries outnumbered in every category but one: they had slightly more combat aircraft.