Panzer(PzKw) IVj 1 5.88%
Panther G 10 58.82%
Type 97(Oh well...) 0 0%
M15/42 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

--

August 12th, 2004  
Ashes

I think i'd go for the Panther, as the best all round tank.
The Germans took the T-34 design and improved it and came up with a superior tank.

It's ironic that the Brits, who invented the tank and had the leading exponents of tank warfare in General Fuller and Basil Liddall Hart, couldn't stay the pace with the Germans in either tank design or tactics.

And dont you think it was almost a crime by the Brits and Americans to send there tankers up against Panthers and Tigers in woefully inadequate tanks like the Churchill and the Sherman?
How many young tankers were killed and maimed in hopeless battles against vastly superior tanks?
August 13th, 2004  
OpNo

i do speak German, and what i dont understand is why Hitler didnt use his extra panzer division to slow down the D-Day Invasion, oh wait maybe i do Hitler probably wanted the allies to come, and then repell them to prove Germany's might. . . i feel sorry for Rommel to take orders from such a moron, BTW the T-34 tank is said to be the best of WWII, but the Panther from what i have read surpassed the T-34 in firepower but the armour wasnt as great but the Panther got the job done
August 13th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Any particular reason that the King Tiger/Tiger II isn't listed? I know it didn't go into full production, but still I'd think it meritted mentioning.
--
August 13th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Quote:
Any particular reason that the King Tiger/Tiger II isn't listed? I know it didn't go into full production, but still I'd think it meritted mentioning.

Hmmm, its not listed because at over 60 tonns and carrying a 88mm, it was not a medium.
August 15th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

That'll teach me for not reading. Sorry.
August 15th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Well neither is the Panther if you want to be technical about it, it's listed as a "Medium Heavy" tank according to www.achtungpanzer.com

Why is the M3 Grant/Lee even listed in this pole? Those things were death traps which proved horrible for us in North Africa.
August 15th, 2004  
SHERMAN

I know, I was just kidding with some of em....
August 18th, 2004  
SLR owner

The Panther G could smoke any of those others IMO.
August 19th, 2004  
David Hurlbert

Wow, I think the T-34 was the not the great tank some people are making it out to be in this poll. The Germans destroyed them by the thousands. The battlefield results of the T-34 were faulty for two reasons. First, the Soviets were very guarded about disclosing negative findings, and second, sheer numbers established many of the victories like with the Sherman’s via overwhelming the German tanks. For an excellent website on the tanks and their deployments in German Armor Divisions, please go to the following site.

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/tigers.htm

Nonetheless, I think the Panther will get my vote as the best tank produced in World War II. It had a remarkable balance of protection, firepower, and mobility and was rushed into production in 1943 as a response to the Soviet T-34, whose main features (a powerful engine, wide tracks, a hard-hitting gun, and sloping armor) influenced the German engineers. As soon as the first production problems about the hurry to get this machine into the battle were resolved, the Panther was developed into the most magnificent armored beast in World War II. Incidentally, I think this forum would actually be better located under Military History.
August 19th, 2004  
David Hurlbert

Oh, I tried to vote, but this forum did not give me access to do so. My vote goes to the Panther as the best tank of World War II.