Best Army Commander of the WW2 Allies - Page 3




View Poll Results :Which Allied General/Field Marshall Outshone the Rest??
Field Marshal Bernard Law Viscount Montgomery (United Kingdom) 5 13.16%
General George Smith Patton (United States of America) 14 36.84%
Marshal of Soviet Union Georgii K. Zhukov (Soviet Union) 9 23.68%
Field Marshal Gustaf Mannerheim (Finland) 2 5.26%
General of the Army Dwight David Eisenhower (United States of America) 8 21.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

 
--
 
December 10th, 2004  
Doppleganger
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejohn
After Patton's success in the pursuit across France, in the Battle of the Bulge, and in the Saar-Moselle Triangle, it is little wonder that in the Germans' view he was the Allied general most to be feared.

http://www.longwood.edu/staff/hardinds/Blitzkrieg.html


Eisenhower said that Patton was “‘indispensable to the war effort—one of the guarantors of our victory’, and later by German Field Marshal Gerd von Rundstedt, what said, ‘Patton was your best’”(2). Everyone involved in the war knew that Patton was the greatest leader in the whole effort. The opposition quivered hearing his name, knowing his swift advancements and harsh fighting styles.

http://www.wowessays.com/dbase/ad1/keb269.shtml
On the Western Allied side yes he was. Don't forget though the Germans also had a little skirmish going on further east. 2 guys named Konev and Zhukov respectively may have disputed Patton's claim to that title.

He certainly wasn't the greatest leader in the whole effort, unless you are counting just the Western Allies of course. Also remember by the time Patton got there Germany was already defeated for all intents and purposes.
December 10th, 2004  
A Can of Man
 
 
Zhukov was Russia's premier general... who was of course later despised by Stalin for being... well... successful.
But I don't see how much brains it takes to send wave after waves of dudes into the Germans.
December 10th, 2004  
Anya1982
 
 

Topic: it has


Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Am I missing something here or are all 3 of those very long back to back posts completely unrelated to the topic?? Good info but its got nothing to do with "Best Allied Army Commanders".
its on the subject..................giving info on the WW2 leaders..........allies............and foes

ok the back to back thing i know is wrong but the info ain't
--
December 10th, 2004  
Doppleganger
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Zhukov was Russia's premier general... who was of course later despised by Stalin for being... well... successful.
But I don't see how much brains it takes to send wave after waves of dudes into the Germans.
It wasn't quite that simple otherwise they never would have beaten the German Army..

BTW Konev is equally as good but most people have never heard of him.
December 10th, 2004  
godofthunder9010
 
 
Okay Bradley and Konev and MacArthur need to be added. Any others? Then I'll pester a MOD to add them.
December 11th, 2004  
Big_Z
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggydog
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejohn
George Patton really worried the Germans.

He had more flair and flexibility in attack than Monty.

Sorry Monty fans.
<Patton really worried the Germans>Says who?I've seen this in hollywood movies,but do you have a source?
Is that a joke? To put it bluntly Patton was ruthless and brutal. He might not have been the best allied commander but I dont think anyone can argue that he wasn't the most feared. He was so feared by Hitler that the Allies used him as a diversion on D-day to make Hitler think the invasion was going to be somewhere else and it worked perfectly.

Patton quotes

"Go forward until the last round is fired and the last drop of gas is expended...then go forward on foot!"
- General George Patton Jr

"Just drive down that road, until you get blown up"
- General George Patton, about reconnaissance troops
http://www.military-quotes.com

EDIT - Sorry I just read Aussiejohns post and realized he has already explained this.
December 11th, 2004  
godofthunder9010
 
 
I'm curious. How many of the votes for Patton or Ike were by people from the USA? How many votes for Monty were people from the USA? We do love our own countrymen best, don't we?
December 12th, 2004  
Young Winston
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejohn
After Patton's success in the pursuit across France, in the Battle of the Bulge, and in the Saar-Moselle Triangle, it is little wonder that in the Germans' view he was the Allied general most to be feared.

http://www.longwood.edu/staff/hardinds/Blitzkrieg.html


Eisenhower said that Patton was “‘indispensable to the war effort—one of the guarantors of our victory’, and later by German Field Marshal Gerd von Rundstedt, what said, ‘Patton was your best’”(2). Everyone involved in the war knew that Patton was the greatest leader in the whole effort. The opposition quivered hearing his name, knowing his swift advancements and harsh fighting styles.

http://www.wowessays.com/dbase/ad1/keb269.shtml
On the Western Allied side yes he was. Don't forget though the Germans also had a little skirmish going on further east. 2 guys named Konev and Zhukov respectively may have disputed Patton's claim to that title.

He certainly wasn't the greatest leader in the whole effort, unless you are counting just the Western Allies of course. Also remember by the time Patton got there Germany was already defeated for all intents and purposes.
The eastern front was the Germans biggest headache. No doubt.

Zhukov was outstanding in a strategic capacity on the Russian front.

I have read a liitle about Konev. Please tell me why he was an outstanding commander.

I would be interested to know if the Germans on the eastern front were in awe of a particular Russian commander.

MacArthur and Slim should be on the list.

I do believe that Patton was supportive of Montgomery in the idea of the western allies taking Berlin instead of leaving it to the Russians. History shows that Eisenhower rejected it.
December 13th, 2004  
Anya1982
 
 

Topic: hmmmmmmm


Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Okay Bradley and Konev and MacArthur need to be added. Any others? Then I'll pester a MOD to add them.
Does america actually get taught european and uk history in school???? if so you think you lot would chose a better leader than your own. No offense
December 13th, 2004  
A Can of Man
 
 
European history? Yes. UK specifically? No.