Allies and Nazi forces usuing captured equipment - Page 3

--

June 30th, 2006  
Dean

Apparently, the PPsH submachinegun was very popular with German Army units on the Eastern Front. It was light, controllable, far more rugged than the MP-40 series, and it had that nice big drum magazine that ther Germans never had. In addition, it used the 9x19mm cartridge, (9mm parabellum to the rest of the world) which was also used and produced by the Germans. I have seen many photos of Germans using it, and ironically, I have seen almost as mony photos of Russians using the MP-40.... go figure!

Dean.
June 30th, 2006  
LeEnfield

Well with the Russians it was case if they captured a pile of them and the ammunition was compatible then why not issue it to your own soldiers. The 9mm rounds were pretty standard during WW2.
July 6th, 2006  
Fox

Has ever Americans or British captured the Tiger or Panther and use them for battle?
--
January 4th, 2012  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox
Has ever Americans or British captured the Tiger or Panther and use them for battle?
Ok this is a bit of a necro but the answer is yes, here is a Panther with what looks like the Coldstream Guards.

January 4th, 2012  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
Apparently, the PPsH submachinegun was very popular with German Army units on the Eastern Front. It was light, controllable, far more rugged than the MP-40 series, and it had that nice big drum magazine that ther Germans never had. In addition, it used the 9x19mm cartridge, (9mm parabellum to the rest of the world) which was also used and produced by the Germans. I have seen many photos of Germans using it, and ironically, I have seen almost as mony photos of Russians using the MP-40.... go figure!

Dean.

The PPsH was in fact a 7.62x25 Tokarev, very similar to the German 7.63 Mauser bottle neck used in the Mauser 96, but far higher pressures.

In fact a Mauser 96 will fire a 7.62x25, but it will destroy the firearm in short order, same as when the British Mk2Z 9mm Parabellum was fired in the PO8. The rear pin on the PO8 would sheer.
January 6th, 2012  
LeEnfield

The first battle at Tobruk the Allies used any thing they could lay there hands on, if it broke or ran out of ammunition they just dumped it, but while it worked fine.
January 6th, 2012  
BritinAfrica

There are numerous newsreel of the Germans using captured British trucks of all types.
February 1st, 2012  
BritinAfrica

I was watching newsreel of the war in North Africa this afternoon, it clearly showed a German Afrika Korps soldier firing a Boys Mk1 .55 anti tank rifle.
February 1st, 2012  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
I was watching newsreel of the war in North Africa this afternoon, it clearly showed a German Afrika Korps soldier firing a Boys Mk1 .55 anti tank rifle.
No chance it was a Panzerbüchse 39?
As many of those were sent to North Africa, I have spent the better part of 2 years looking for one to add to the collection.
February 2nd, 2012  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
No chance it was a Panzerbüchse 39?
As many of those were sent to North Africa, I have spent the better part of 2 years looking for one to add to the collection.
It was definitely a Boys Mk1 with the round muzzle brake, I'd know the bugger anywhere after one kicked the crap outta me.

Useless against British and American tanks, but good enough for trucks.