Watercolors

Here's a loose portrait of General Jan Smuts during WWI.

Smuts_zps1654a21b.jpg

He much be an early war POW based on the pickelhaube which ended its production in 1915.

This was a request on another site. I'm not too happy with it; I'll just have to be more careful with the detail (and color - which is a challenge when I use black and white photos).

WWISturmtruppenmitflammenwerferb_zpsd7198acf.jpg

I don't mind that one but there is something funny about his right hand, it was the first thing I noticed when I saw the image.

I don't mind that one but there is something funny about his right hand, it was the first thing I noticed when I saw the image.

Yep - it's a bit of a mess. It was not visible in the original photo so I added it. Serves me right. :confused:

I am guessing the problem is the angle that the weapon is on given how thin the barrel section looks compared to a standard Enfield Pattern rifle.

I am guessing the problem is the angle that the weapon is on given how thin the barrel section looks compared to a standard Enfield Pattern rifle.

It's the same issue with the helmet - when it comes to commonly identified equipment there is no wiggle room. The dimensions have to be near perfect.

Kapp Trooper - Berlin 1920

KappTrooper_zps3c0de80c.jpg

I am wondering here whether the problem isn't the proportions of the neck and head, he seems to have an extremely long neck and head which has thrown the helmet out of proportion thus requiring the odd shape to bring the fit back.

I am wondering here whether the problem isn't the proportions of the neck and head, he seems to have an extremely long neck and head which has thrown the helmet out of proportion thus requiring the odd shape to bring the fit back.

I was trying to capture an unusual pose. This is where a little anatomy education would have been helpful.

Back