Volunteering/Backpacking help sought.

hawky94

The Brit Pack (probationer)
Hi everyone,

I've been having a lot of doubts recently about joining up.

And have therefore come to the conclusion, that, at this point right now in my life, perhaps jumping head-first into a military life wouldn't be my best option.

And, on the advice of my father and others, I have decided to take a year and perhaps go volunteering or backpacking, if only for a few months. To get the life experience which I believe would be of huge benefit before I jump into a military lifestyle - I feel like I need to develop the state of mind, perhaps.

So, do any of you have any knowledge, or experience with volunteer/backpacking networks?

I'd prefer if the volunteering was low-cost, or, if possible free! :D And preferably in Europe and the UK. Also, if they included accommodation and/or a stipend that'd be great!

I'm open to all types, but have preferences towards sports coaching, media or journalism, youth work, community-building projects.

Cheers,

hawky.

Hi everyone,

I've been having a lot of doubts recently about joining up.

And have therefore come to the conclusion, that, at this point right now in my life, perhaps jumping head-first into a military life wouldn't be my best option.

And, on the advice of my father and others, I have decided to take a year and perhaps go volunteering or backpacking, if only for a few months. To get the life experience which I believe would be of huge benefit before I jump into a military lifestyle - I feel like I need to develop the state of mind, perhaps.

So, do any of you have any knowledge, or experience with volunteer/backpacking networks?

I'd prefer if the volunteering was low-cost, or, if possible free! :D And preferably in Europe and the UK. Also, if they included accommodation and/or a stipend that'd be great!

I'm open to all types, but have preferences towards sports coaching, media or journalism, youth work, community-building projects.

Cheers,

hawky.

It would seems that you are giving this thing about joinng the service a lot of thought, and that is good. It shows maturity, and that you are not going to jump head-on. Listen to your heart, buddy. Any decisions you make right now will have an impact on you.

We can only offer options and moral support, so the decisions is really up to you, friend.

Last edited:
Try these guys. I have used them before and there is a lot of help to get there.

http://www.thebackpacker.net/

It sounds like a good idea to me. Good luck and remember, we are always here if you need a helping hand out there. Just call.

Hi people,

Cheers for the replies...

I've been thinking, perhaps, I could do this on a bike...

I would of course, first need a good touring bike, and for those you could pay as much for a car... I'd also need to plan carefully, etc.

But, as far as just getting the bare-necessities goes... any ideas where I might find cheap(er) touring bikes?

I'm hopefully planning to begin early next year, when the snow and cold finally gets gone (That's April/May in Canada :O )

Thanks, hawky.

Hawky, are you holding a passport from the UK? If you do, you can easier finance your trip. You can work as an English teacher in the not English speaking part of Europe (The EU)

If I was you I would consider doing this in Asia, Middle East, or in Africa. It can be beneficial for the expanding of the mind to meet different cultures. There are differences between Europe and the US/Canada, but we share a lot too. Europe can be quite expensive to travel in, during the 1980s; they had a backpacker card so you could get a reduced price of train and bus tickets. I don't know if it still exists.

A few years ago I met a classmate from High School; he had been working as an English teacher in Thailand, when he was traveling through Asia. When he did this, the Asian countries weren't so picky with the work permit, but that might have changed.

I wasn't really intending to go to Africa, not yet. I was thinking of starting in the UK somewhere, and then moving into Europe...

Got it, no Africa. And Brig13, yes, I am holding a UK Passport, my current immigration status in Canada is "Landed Immigrant." This means that I get to live here, go to school here, but, for some reason (I'm told due to immigration problems), I cannot apply for a SIN card, nor can I leave the country. The problem is, if I leave, there's a chance I might not be able to get back in.

I also have to renew my passport every x months *not sure how many months* So, in the next... eight or so months we (my Father and I) will be chasing up immigration and making sure that I can leave the country freely, come and go as I please.

Thanks again for the replies and advice. :)

Cheers,

hawky

Got it, no Africa. And Brig13, yes, I am holding a UK Passport, my current immigration status in Canada is "Landed Immigrant." This means that I get to live here, go to school here, but, for some reason (I'm told due to immigration problems), I cannot apply for a SIN card, nor can I leave the country. The problem is, if I leave, there's a chance I might not be able to get back in.

I also have to renew my passport every x months *not sure how many months* So, in the next... eight or so months we (my Father and I) will be chasing up immigration and making sure that I can leave the country freely, come and go as I please.

Thanks again for the replies and advice. :)

Cheers,

hawky

You are going to Denmark, aren’t you?

Hi guys,

Anyone have any idea where I might be able to acquire a cheap-esque touring bike?

Found one!

imgres

There she is - and only $1000 (and a little bit more) CAD.

On the wages I currently earn - about four or five weeks of not spending a penny, and she will be mine! I will call her... Alice, don't know why! (any other suggestions? :D)

Anyway, and after that - during the winter, I'll be spending the money on buying the paniers, bottle cages, backpacks, hydration systems, cycling clothing, etc...

And then... come... say... March? It's all systems go - and hopefully a green light to fly to London Heathrow, see the peeps at home, maybe catch up with a few of you! As I do believe Frogman, Highway Man, 42, CMT, and NP8901 all owe me a beer ;) :cheers: I'm going to be quite pissed at the end of it all!

Once I've been intoxicated, and had a catch-up with the famjam. It's time to hit the Tunnel into France and then... well... Europe beckons! (Where I go after that, I do not know.)

When I reach your respective countries, I may ask to couch-surf, just giving you a forewarning, that if at some point a young 20-something cyclist should show up at your door, looking tired, and in pain - assume it is me that I need a cuppa and some TLC. (No masochism, eh, Freya?) :D

Anyway, there's the update! Cheers.

Hawky.

Last edited:
Found one!

imgres

There she is - and only $1000 (and a little bit more) CAD.

On the wages I currently earn - about four or five weeks of not spending a penny, and she will be mine! I will call her... Alice, don't know why! (any other suggestions? :D)

Anyway, and after that - during the winter, I'll be spending the money on buying the paniers, bottle cages, backpacks, hydration systems, cycling clothing, etc...

And then... come... say... March? It's all systems go - and hopefully a green light to fly to London Heathrow, see the peeps at home, maybe catch up with a few of you! As I do believe Frogman, Highway Man, 42, CMT, and NP8901 all owe me a beer ;) :cheers: I'm going to be quite pissed at the end of it all!

Once I've been intoxicated, and had a catch-up with the famjam. It's time to hit the Tunnel into France and then... well... Europe beckons! (Where I go after that, I do not know.)

When I reach your respective countries, I may ask to couch-surf, just giving you a forewarning, that if at some point a young 20-something cyclist should show up at your door, looking tired, and in pain - assume it is me that I need a cuppa and some TLC. (No masochism, eh, Freya?) :D

Anyway, there's the update! Cheers.

Hawky.

HAHAHA! Your trip sounds awesome :) My sister and her boyfriend recently did a Kontiki tour in Europe and there's loads of cheap places to stay apparently, should you have need of them.
Have loads of fun and if you ever do decide to venture down into the wilds of Africa (particularly the Southern end) let me know because there's definitely a couple couches available that I know of :)

Back