USCG

FutureMedic

I've been lookin at the Coast Guard...does anyone know the age requirements? If I were to join I would Go for AST (rescue swimmer). Any info would be greatly appreciated. I know this is probably the most unappreciated branch of the military.

Last edited:
It's not that you're not popular - everyone looooves a puddle pirate - it's just that there aren't very many people who know much about the CG around this site. You might try talking to a recruiter.

That said, the Coast Guard accepts enlistees from 17 to 39 years old - though there might be different requirements for AST.

I was wondering if there would be an age requirement on rescue swimmer (AST) A school; I am joining when I turn 17 so I would like to secure a slot so its available after I graduate.

Yeah, you'll need to ask a recruiter that question. The GoCoastGuard.com site has a map of where your local recruiter is, and what their contact info is.

Maybe you could call them on the phone or email them if you just have a few quick questions. (like about the age limit) Then if you're still interested, you can try to meet them in person.

Okay I talked to my wifes Cousin. He was a Puddle Pirate Gunners Mate out of Miami in the 80's doing the drug interdiction thing. And he's Reserve Puddle Pirate now.

The Rescue Swimmer thing in reality is an air crew rating. Air Survival Tech (AST). Rescue Swimmer is just a part of the duties and training.

As far as he knows it's an enlistment option as long as you meet criteria. Also according to him "That freakin Kevin Costner and the Kid from that 70's show have half their new guys wanying to be AST's."

Okay I talked to my wifes Cousin. He was a Puddle Pirate Gunners Mate out of Miami in the 80's doing the drug interdiction thing. And he's Reserve Puddle Pirate now.

The Rescue Swimmer thing in reality is an air crew rating. Air Survival Tech (AST). Rescue Swimmer is just a part of the duties and training.

As far as he knows it's an enlistment option as long as you meet criteria. Also according to him "That freakin Kevin Costner and the Kid from that 70's show have half their new guys wanying to be AST's."

I know becoming a rescue swimmer is comparable to getting into a SF unit. I am dedicated and plan to follow through with what ever path I choose. The recruiter email me back and said he couldn't talk to me since I was only 16...:thumb:

hey look im 17 and i too want to join the coast guard if yo want to join at 17 then its easy just enlist go to boot camp and then go to 'A' school just like that very easy

i already finished the enlistment process and im leaving in august im so excited i too want be a rescue swimmer (AST)

Keep in mind to be a rescue swimmer you must be one of the best swimmers out there. You also must be SUPER fit.

My friend was not able to make it and he was a pretty smart dude with division 3 college scholarship offers for swimming.
You are also not guaranteed the MOS you sign-up for. You will be tested and if you don't make it you will have a different MOS you may not enjoy. (After you sign the contract).

If your sole objective is to become a rescue swimmer I would look into different branches. The USCG has a very small and elite team of rescue swimmers, and get all the rep for having rescue swimmers(which makes the requirements super high because they have a good pool of applicants to select from).
Other branches have rescue swimmers as well.

Last edited:
I know becoming a rescue swimmer is comparable to getting into a SF unit.

It's not at all comparable to getting into a Special Operations unit. I won't go into the reasons why, it's just not. That doesn't mean it's something less, it isn't. It's just something different and doesn't have/need to meet standards/requirements that Special Operations personnel need to meet.

Getting through the school is a challenge and no easy task. And the men and women that do the job are consummate professionals, at least in my experiences with them.

I'm not sure what the current PT standards are for those trying to get into the program. The actual PT test wasn't that bad, now that doesn't mean you don't have to be in shape because the PT test is just that, a PT test. There are other standards you'd have to meet in the course. Work on your swimming now, you don't have to perfect your stroke or hold your breath underwater for a hour. Just work on your endurance and comfort levels in the water. Run alot, work on your core (abs, lower back, legs) and increase your endurance. These are the things that will help you in the water. Lifting weights, not so much (though strength is important, buffness isn't.)

You are still pretty young so just enjoy being a kid. Keep your nose clean, stay physically fit and strive for excellence in all you do.

That was a very wise post. The guys who get themselves into trouble always respect the guys who pull them out.

Back