Reputation Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

senojekips

I am somewhat frustrated by this system in it's current format.

I personally like the idea as it has great potential to help self regulate the forum and at the same time, make the Moderators aware of potential problems.

However, I find that on several occasions I have attempted to give points to a member because I thought that he/she had made a good point or in one case helped a fellow member, but I was told that i would have to spread some more reputation about before i could award a further point to that person.

I can see the reason for this, but it is frustrating where I see a person or persons who have in my mind earned some reputation but I must go and give reputation to others whom I feel have really done nothing for it, before I can give the point to the person I wanted in the first place.

There may be no satisfactory way around this, but I thought that i would point it out anyway. Maybe I'm just taking it all too seriously?

I personally like the idea as it has great potential to help self regulate the forum and at the same time, make the Moderators aware of potential problems.
It really hasn't much to do with making us aware of problems, the "report post" button is there for just that.. :)
It is, as it says in the FAQ, a way of rating individual posts, and giving direct feedback to the member(s) instead of posting it in the thread.

However, I find that on several occasions I have attempted to give points to a member because I thought that he/she had made a good point or in one case helped a fellow member, but I was told that i would have to spread some more reputation about before i could award a further point to that person.
The system hasn't been 100% "fine tuned" yet, but if we choose a smaller number there it could easily be abused (like it has already)..
But I'm open for comments/suggestions to how we should use this system, so I can certainly consider to lower that number just to test it. :smil:

Thanks Red, it's no big deal, and I am aware of how this system could be abused, which is a great pity.

My problem is largely of my own making, as I do not rate any of the "Chit Chat" threads, and this often limits the number of members that I take seriously. Most posts are mundane, but there are some very astute members here who on occasion post some very informative and well thought material. I don't necessarily agree with them on every point, but every now and then they say something that I think is worthy of a reputation point.

So far I have limited my points to positive only, as I feel that negative points can certainly lead to "bad blood" and suspicion, and I don't see any benefit in that, in a relatively close knit group like we have here.

I realise that I could have PMed you with this, but thought it best that everyone is aware of what I'm saying.

Thanks for your time and consideration, it's a really great site.

I can certainly see your point so I'll reduce the number a bit later this week, just to test it. :smil:

Is there any way to see who left the red mark without working for the Forum?
No, it's only visible for us..

Also Captain, do such things ever expire?
Nope. But you'll only get half of the negative points for red reps, so one green will "eliminate" two reds.. :smil:

No, it's only visible for us..

Nope. But you'll only get half of the negative points for red reps, so one green will "eliminate" two reds.. :smil:

Thanks, one more question.....

I've chosen on my own not to give out any Rep Points one way or the other, and have yet to use the system, as there are other mechanisms in place to avail myself of that I personally like better, can I choose to opt out of the new system altogether?.... thus not getting any Rep Points from other users one way or the other?.... and not being Rated on the Forum?

I've chosen on my own not to give out any Rep Points one way or the other, and have yet to use the system, as there are other mechanisms in place to avail myself of that I personally like better, can I choose to opt out of the new system altogether?.... thus not getting any Rep Points from other users one way or the other?.... and not being Rated on the Forum?

I tend to agree I think this Rep. system has a number of things I believe will be abused for example:

and +1 rep power pr. 2000 posts.
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/faq.php?faq=mediafaq#faq_reputation

How does the quantity of a persons posts relate to quality?
Lets face it I could simply jump into the "welcome" forum and type "Hi" to every thread to make myself a better poster.

I also realise that getting (x) number of negative points will not get you an automatic ban does that mean those rep points will not be used in determining a persons punishment for another infraction, if it does then those rep points are going to need close scrutiny by both the moderators and the people getting them which I suspect will lead to a lot more PMs to the forum admin.

I just feel personally that if one chooses to use the system, like say give someone a good or bad Report on a Post, that one must also open themselves up to receive such good or bad Reports, but, in the end I feel it should be a choice of the Member to get involved in such things in the first place.

I just feel personally that if one chooses to use the system, like say give someone a good or bad Report on a Post, that one must also open themselves up to receive such good or bad Reports, but, in the end I feel it should be a choice of the Member to get involved in such things in the first place.

I agree an "opt out" option would be the best answer however I am fairly certain it will not be happening so the next step is to work with what we have and try and make it better.

I have a deep suspicion that someone somewhere is watching from behind the scenes what is going on here with the rep points. That is perhaps the reason the first few attempts were scrubbed completely. Persons who play "games" by improperly awarding points in either direction are noted and their points are valued accordingly.

I may well be completely wrong, but that is my suspicion.

Personally, I say "Don't sweat the small stuff", do you really care if someone is so petty as to award you a bad point for your point of view on a particular subject? And do you really think that you would be banned from the forum without the Mods looking closely at the posts which allegedly earned you those bad points? I don't.

Otherwise, who cares? no one can see your points but yourself so members are not going to come on the forum and start forming unfair opinions about your character based on your point rating.

Personally I like the system as it does allow me to give someone credit for what I deem to be a "Good" post, or as in one case where I awarded a point to someone who went out of their way to help another member with a problem he was having. I don't award "bad" points, I just ignore the post, I see it as a goodwill thing.

No, that's not possible.
But if you don't like it then just ignore it and don't give others rep points either.. :smil:

I tend to agree I think this Rep. system has a number of things I believe will be abused for example:
You get + 1 rep power pr 365 days as a member and +1 rep power pr. 2000 posts.

http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/faq.php?faq=mediafaq#faq_reputation

How does the quantity of a persons posts relate to quality?
Lets face it I could simply jump into the "welcome" forum and type "Hi" to every thread to make myself a better poster.
That really doesn't matter much since you can only get max 3 rep power in total..

I also realise that getting (x) number of negative points will not get you an automatic ban does that mean those rep points will not be used in determining a persons punishment for another infraction, if it does then those rep points are going to need close scrutiny by both the moderators and the people getting them which I suspect will lead to a lot more PMs to the forum admin.
No, the rep points wont be used for determining a "punishment" for another infration etc. at all since it's just a system for rating posts, not members...
But we will monitor the system itself and hand out infractions/bans for abuse of that system

I have a deep suspicion that someone somewhere is watching from behind the scenes what is going on here with the rep points. That is perhaps the reason the first few attempts were scrubbed completely. Persons who play "games" by improperly awarding points in either direction are noted and their points are valued accordingly.

I may well be completely wrong, but that is my suspicion.

Personally, I say "Don't sweat the small stuff", do you really care if someone is so petty as to award you a bad point for your point of view on a particular subject? And do you really think that you would be banned from the forum without the Mods looking closely at the posts which allegedly earned you those bad points? I don't.

Otherwise, who cares? no one can see your points but yourself so members are not going to come on the forum and start forming unfair opinions about your character based on your point rating.

Personally I like the system as it does allow me to give someone credit for what I deem to be a "Good" post, or as in one case where I awarded a point to someone who went out of their way to help another member with a problem he was having. I don't award "bad" points, I just ignore the post, I see it as a goodwill thing.

I do not sweat the small stuff, and view anything short of death as pretty much trivial on this Earth.
I also do not get paid to Post here, nor do I work here.
I come here for my own benefit, merely because I want to.

But, like changing someones User Title to a derogatory remark, I view this new Rep System as a game, and one I choose not to play, so, I believe it would be nice to opt out of the system, but in the end it is of no consequence to me personally if it stays the way it is.

I tend to agree I also intend to follow the "only good rep points" idea however there is just something I don't like about systems that allow people to take shots but don't give an option to respond and clear up issues or correct any mistakes. I also tend to think that if the persons name was attached to the rep point people would think twice about using it for the sake of using it as they would have to justify their reasons.

As point I would ask that you look at Gators links to posts above, look at the context of the thread they were posted in and determine whether they were worth two negative points, if you think they were then the system is working or is it more likely that someone was being either overly sensitive or was just looking for an excuse to use the system in which case it isn't working.

Monty, I can fully understand that you don't like someone taking cheap shots. But in the grand scheme of things it all comes to nothing really.

I have no doubts whatsoever that there are people who will attempt to use the system in petty ways to massage their own egos and "get back" at people. To be honest, I don't really care. I'm sure that I could always work out in my own mind who was the most likely person to have awarded the point, and the fact that they had awarded it would further my suspicions as to that persons character and worth as a poster and that would be the end of it.

You and I have crossed swords on various threads, but I think no less of you as a person for having an opinion of your own. I think some persons are really taking the whole matter far too seriously. I wouldn't dream of awarding a bad rep point over something so trivial as the fact that i don't agree with someone's opinion or that they "took a shot" at me. I say, "Good luck to them" if they actually knew how little it worries me they wouldn't have gone to the bother.:-D

That is why I elected to use the system as a goodwill thing, and only award positive points.

Perhaps I'm just an old softie (in the head), but I think this system has great possibilities if used in a positive manner.

That is why I elected to use the system as a goodwill thing, and only award positive points.

Perhaps I'm just an old softie (in the head), but I think this system has great possibilities if used in a positive manner.

Yeah i do that too. ;-)

:horsie:

I don't really use it. I mean, it doesn't pay me, doesn't feed me and sure as heck doesn't put a roof over my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back