• M4 is louder at a distance.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • AK-47 is louder at a distance.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Both are equally loud at a distance.

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

LeeAdama

Can anyone give me the decibel levels for the M4 Carbine and M249 SAW and the AK-47?

Which is louder, the smaller high velocity, high pressure 5.56X45 NATO or the bigger, slower, low pressure 7.62X39?

Assuming the 5.56 is fired out of a military M4 carbine and the 7.62X39 is fired out of a AK-47?

Both for the shooters point of view and from a distance?

I posted a multiple choice poll as well so you can choose 2 options.

Last edited:
The AK 47 or Avtomat Kalashnikova was developed in 1940. And when fired makes a very distinctive sound, very lowed.

I rather get hit by an M-4 M16- or C-7 or any other 5.56 round then get hit by a 7.62mm Full Metal Jacket round.

Can you give us some more background on why you want to know this?

//KJ.

Science geek, no JK AR and AK are the two most popular weapons in the world so I was wondering how loud they compare to each other.

The AK 47 or Avtomat Kalashnikova was developed in 1940. And when fired makes a very distinctive sound, very lowed.

I rather get hit by an M-4 M16- or C-7 or any other 5.56 round then get hit by a 7.62mm Full Metal Jacket round.

They both make a distinctive sound....which is why they are distinctive.:-D

But I rather not get hit by ether as both will kill a man easily.

Science geek, no JK AR and AK are the two most popular weapons in the world so I was wondering how loud they compare to each other.

They both make a distinctive sound....which is why they are distinctive.:-D

But I rather not get hit by ether as both will kill a man easily.

No M-4 and C-7 or M16 make nearly the same sound.

I'm with you on that It's better not to get nailed by ether. All is good my IBA vest Stops Both:thumb:

Last edited:

Yeah hmmmmmm Okie Dokie:confused:

So you'd prefer to be hit with an M995 round?

So you'd prefer to be hit with an M995 round?

Nobody would like to get hit by a M995 A.P. round, in that case
any round or fragment. There are chicken plates that will Stop them, I read, How true???. It's only a 5.56 round.

The 5.56 AP round penetrates 12mm armour plate of 300 HB at 100 meters.

22s have been known to penetrate Lev IIA vests.

I was told that the sharper crack sound of the 5.56 sound louder at a distance than the duller sound of the 7.62x39, can anyone verify this?

The difference in my experience lies more in the tempo of fiering.
Diffenent weapons sound very different. But I doubt one could meassure the Db levels to tell them apart.
Very very small differences.
However a larger bullet makes a more distinct sound passing in close proximity to your ears downrange.

I can not verify this in Db numbers but I think the 5.56 Nato round makes a sharper noice, not saying louder here, mearly sharper.

Best I can do without meassuring up the Db levels.
And quite frankly your "eagerness to know" doesn´t quite cut the bill of being so thurough..
Good question though.

For future reference.
When asking this type of question please let us know why, who and what.
Too many people ask this type of questions to get a base for lawsuits for hearing disabilities and what not therefor harming the military.

KJ sends..

The difference in my experience lies more in the tempo of fiering.
Diffenent weapons sound very different. But I doubt one could meassure the Db levels to tell them apart.
Very very small differences.
However a larger bullet makes a more distinct sound passing in close proximity to your ears downrange.

I can not verify this in Db numbers but I think the 5.56 Nato round makes a sharper noice, not saying louder here, mearly sharper.

Best I can do without meassuring up the Db levels.
And quite frankly your "eagerness to know" doesn´t quite cut the bill of being so thurough..
Good question though.

For future reference.
When asking this type of question please let us know why, who and what.
Too many people ask this type of questions to get a base for lawsuits for hearing disabilities and what not therefor harming the military.

KJ sends..

I take it you mean they are about the same.

As for why its just out of curiosity and I found it interesting.

Back