Navy and homosexuality

25sizzle

why do some people have this prejudise and say that the navy is for "gays"? can someone please help me out?

Probably has to do with the fact that there were hundreds (if not thousands) of men (back in the day, when women weren't allowed to join & bad luck to have women onboard) on ships, it'd take them months if not years to get from one place to another, for instance it took Wellington ten months to sail to India.
Bunch of guys locked in a ship... You get the picture.
And more recently because of the Village People and that song of theirs.

And probably because people like being arses, how many of these people would say it to a sailor's face? :)

Last edited:
If they ask if you want to see the Golden Rivet, tell them you are too busy.

You naughty naughty little boy what are you suggesting?
In fact, I experienced the joke. I was told that it was on the deck so there I stood with my butt straight up in the air and what an ovation I got. :smile:

Find out what the original term Poge meant .

Find out why candy etc was originally termed as Pogey Bait

That will answer part of your question.

Maybe it's because you cant meet girls when you are on a Navy ship... Soldiers spend some time on the boat and then, they jump, get mauled by machine gun fire and if they make it happen... Then, they can take a fresh beer in the cities they took.

I don't think the Navy is any worse than any of the other services. Now back in the 19th Century where you were on board ship for years, then that could have been another matter.

Back