Marion Military Institute.

OK, Im a junior, 16 years old. Im starting to look at colleges, and I was thinking...Here's the plan, I go to MMI for two years, grab my early commision as a 2Lt, then go to BAMA for my junior and senior year. Anyone like it, or any naysayers? I need some information on Marion. I was looking for anyone who has been...

Sounds like just an alternative means to the same end: a commission. Since it's a prep school, like you said, you have to eventually go to another school to complete bachelor's degree. IMO that in itself is not worth it. Just my $0.02.

I went to NMMI in Roswell, NM. The 2 year route is great. There are several advanatages.

$$$$$... You get commissioned in two years and your time is service starts when you graduate. So... like me... when you eventually go on active duty, you will have at least 2 years for pay on your peers. I went to OBC, got promoted to 1LT during OBC and was making about $600 more per month.... back in 1995. Also, when I retire with 20 years in service, I will be getting paid for 22...

Second.. You get ROTC out of the way so you can enjoy your last two years of college at a civilian school and concentrate on your major. As you can imagine, your Jr and Sr years in college will be very busy with just your major course of studies. Throw in ROTC and it becomes very hectic. Now you don't have that problem.

Third, you can join the US Army Reserves or National Guard and drill with them on the weekends as a Platoon Leader..... In any unit you want to. When you get commissioned out of a Military Junior College, you are assessed a branch, but not held to it. You have to go throught the entire process a second time when you are a Senior in college. Don't worry, it is just a paperwork drill with the Army. But by drilling on the weekend with a reserve unit, you can shop around and see what branch you might like best.

You are responsible to the Professor of Military Science of your civilian university. Your responsibilites to him are .. Pass a PT test twice a year, pass all of your classes, and make sure you get a little face time with him so he knows you are still alive... that's it.

Third.. having a commission during the last two years of college... hell.. chicks dig the officers in uniform dude.

Last edited:
Thats what I was looking for. Thanks, sir. I appreciate that. Maytime, I thought you might know, Im a PACT(not sure exactly what it stands for) which means my college is already paid for. I just pay for room & board. So the plan would work with this. And instead of having to wait 4-5 years for my commision, I can get it in 2 with the ECP. Then go to a civilian university and finish up a major. That way, dad will have to salute me at least once before he retires. Hahaha.

Solid plan, the Major knows what's up, so I would listen to him.

That way, dad will have to salute me at least once before he retires. Hahaha.
LOL, that would be awkward. I forget the regs about that, but I think they do exist.

One other thing, does MMI guarantee transferability of credits? It would suck hardcore when you commission and you go for your bachelor's and find that with limited tranferred credits, you're only an academic sophomore or even a freshman if you're an engineer. I'm a mechanical engineer and I'm taking so many classes I cannot graduate in 4 years; if I switched schools that would set me back a year at the very least. Point being is that all schools are different on their awarding of transfer credits, depending on the major, so I would seriously look into that.

“IT’S AN HONORED TRADITION… A BRAND NEW SILVER DOLLAR TO THE FIRST ENLISTED SOLDIER WHO SALUTES HIM OR HER. THE EXACT ORIGIN OF THE CUSTOM IS ARGUABLE BUT IT PROBABLY BEGAN BEFORE THE U.S. ARMED FORCES WERE ORGANIZED. BRITISH REGIMENTS STATIONED IN COLONIAL AMERICA BROUGHT WITH THEM A NUMBER OF CUSTOMS AND TRADITIONS THAT WERE RETAINED BY THE NEWLY FORMED AMERICAN ARMED FORCES. ONE STATUS SYMBOL HIGHLY SOUGHT BY NEWLY COMMISSIONED BRITISH OFFICERS WAS TO HAVE A SERVANT ASSIGNED TO THEM. THE SERVANT WAS NORMALLY AN ENLISTED SOLDIER WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR ENSURING THE OFFICER’S KIT, DRESS AND FIELD UNIFORMS, AND PERSONAL EQUIPMENT WERE SERVICEABLE AT ALL TIMES. THE ENLISTED SOLDIER WAS ALSO RESPONSIBLE FOR TEACHING THE OFFICER THE UNIT HISTORY, TRADITION AND CUSTOMS. THIS CUSTOM CONTINUED TO GROW WITHIN THE BRITISH MILITARY AND NEWLY FORMED AMERICAN UNITS. AMERICAN SECOND LIEUTENANTS IN 1816, RECEIVED A MONTHLY BASE PAY OF $25, A $3 RATION ALLOWANCE, AND $1 FOR AN ENLISTED ADVISOR. THIS ADVISOR’S PAY WAS LATER DISCONTINUED, BUT THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR TEACHING THE NEWLY COMMISSIONED OFFICER CONTINUED. THE PRESENT DAY TRADITION OF GIVING A SILVER DOLLAR FOR THE FIRST SALUTE IS THOUGHT TO HAVE ITS ROOTS IN THIS RELATIONSHIP.

you need to go and find a special silver dollar. i have know some guys that have dropped some serious cash on a silver dollar for their first salute. for example.. NMMI was founded in 1891. There was a guy that found a silver dollar from that year for his... dropped big $$$$

Are you stuck on Marion? I could hook you up with NMMI very easily. I still have some contacts there. I think NMMI is the #1 MJC..not because I went there, but because of reputation even today

I was planning on Marion because its in Alabama, so I would have everything paid for. Dad has some folks down there that said I could get it fairly easily.

you need to go and find a special silver dollar. i have know some guys that have dropped some serious cash on a silver dollar for their first salute. for example.. NMMI was founded in 1891. There was a guy that found a silver dollar from that year for his... dropped big $$$$
I just made sure the dollar coin I had was the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin, not the Sacagawea dollar coin. ;)

Does this custom apply to Warrant Officers as well? Just curious. This is the first I have ever heard of this. Interesting to know.

wow i never knew about ECP!!

so theres 5 Mil JC in the US..

New Mexico Military Institute Junior College
Roswell, NM

Marion Military Institute
Marion, AL

Georgia Military College
Milledgeville, GA

Valley Forge Military College
Wayne, PA

Wentworth Military Junior College
Lexington, MO

and out of the 5, MMI and NMMI is the best? i like NMMI a bit more cuz its closer to my home in CA, so i can visit my family when i have time..
wow im kinda interested in the Service Academy Preparatory program hah.. only Marion offers it?
and if i take this path, do i have to be a freshman in college again?
i get my VMI results in dec 15.. i guess this is my back up.. (i did Early decision so i have to go if i get in i think)

Back