definitions of terrorism

Yes, i guess they would. Aryan Nations is a extreme-right wing christian group which [Not sure if this is correct, i read about it ages ago] kidnaps and kills popes and religious leaders from other religions.

But we might as well call them fascists.
Well, that's clearly a huge misunderstanding. They are neo-nazis using the Freedom of Religion to push their beliefs. Extreme-right wing? Not hardly. I don't think I could even compare then in that manner. They don't kill popes or religious leaders anywhere. Their affiliates, like The Order, different story. Their downfall was killing Alan Berg who was a radio talk show host. Man, some mistakes are just so stupid.

And The Order did a lot of the same stuff the Black Panthers also did- rob banks to pay for their fight. They consider themselves the "new patriot", really no different than what the Black Panthers call themselves. Both clearly domestic terrorists, because they are fighting to fight. They are doing no one but themselves a service. True freedom fighters, different story.

Last edited:
Exactly, neither calling them 'Terrorists' or 'Freedom fighters' suits them. Thus 'Religious Fighters' is better.

It's one of those things if you see you can tell it is, but if you try to define it, it gets pretty hard to do. I guess our language is pretty limited after all.

This is the second thread that I've seen try to define terrorisim. I honestly don't understand why it needs to be re-defined. I did Google the definitions of Terrorisim I could not post all of them, so here is the edited version...

[SIZE=-1]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...fgr6HMBQ&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title[/SIZE]

This is the second thread that I've seen try to define terrorisim. I honestly don't understand why it needs to be re-defined. I did Google the definitions of Terrorisim I could not post all of them, so here is the edited version...
THAT is the problem, AB. There are so many definitions, all close and similar yet so wide and diverse. And if you sit and think about some of those definitions, you'll find that a few even define the FBI itself (by description of their "work") as terrorist. THAT is a good way to win allies! LOL!

THAT is the problem, AB. There are so many definitions, all close and similar yet so wide and diverse. And if you sit and think about some of those definitions, you'll find that a few even define the FBI itself (by description of their "work") as terrorist. THAT is a good way to win allies! LOL!

I guess the way I think of it is that it is trying to "reinvent the wheel". I can be wrong at times, though. :p

you'll find that a few even define the FBI itself (by description of their "work") as terrorist. THAT is a good way to win allies! LOL!

Okay I'm not getting how they are terrorists. Overbearing and sanctimonious yes.

Even though they are a judicial element of a legal government? next it will be the IRS with kheffiyahs storming houses demanding tax returns in exchange for inward investment!!!

AB Shorts, I don't think that it's re-inventing the wheel, just trying to find what tyre size it actually is. Too many people play fast and loose with definitions, notably the press, which leads us all to make ill informed decisions. The fact that there is no official definition of terrorists is very scary, especially when the USA & UK, amongst others are prosecuting a war against terrorism, using this is as an excuse to do things in my name, which I find reprehensible; yet still failing to achieve anything of note. Keep the opinions rolling though, the more we puzzle this out between us the more we can hold our elected officials accountable!

Terrorism is as simple as consecutive digits (1,2,3). A less powerful entity using no holds barred gutter tactics to not win but make the powerful worry. Kill or maim innocents, no matter who, because of fear of the more powerful foe and what they would do to your body if the same tactics were tried on them.

Even though they are a judicial element of a legal government? next it will be the IRS with kheffiyahs storming houses demanding tax returns in exchange for inward investment!!!
Next? They already do.
Technically the tax issues are not criminal so they really have no right busting down doors. Like they already do. Don't mistake that as saying I think there should be no taxes, because my feelings are exactly the opposite. I feel that the issue of tax evasion is blown out of proportion.

The fact that there is no official definition of terrorists is very scary, especially when the USA & UK, amongst others are prosecuting a war against terrorism, using this is as an excuse to do things in my name, which I find reprehensible; yet still failing to achieve anything of note. Keep the opinions rolling though, the more we puzzle this out between us the more we can hold our elected officials accountable!
Exactly. When a government agency goes outside it's bounds and either takes property or hurts people or even kills people, and the end investigation shows the agency was in the wrong....case in point, a murder in Mississippi where cops raided the wrong home, shot & killed the 72 year old woman that lived there, then they tried pulling the excuse that she pulled a gun on them and shot at them, even though the gun turned out to be owned by one of their team members.... what do you call it? "Hehehehe OOOOppppssss!" (envision Robin Williams doing that). No. I call it terrorism.

Last edited:
Terrorism is as simple as consecutive digits (1,2,3). A less powerful entity using no holds barred gutter tactics to not win but make the powerful worry. Kill or maim innocents, no matter who, because of fear of the more powerful foe and what they would do to your body if the same tactics were tried on them.

So what do you call gutter tactics?
1. Is all fair in Love & War?
2. Or is it a case that as a nationalt entity you can do what you want to your populace?
3. Or that your populace can do what it wants, when they're unhappy?
4. Could it be assassination?
5. Could it be supression of the press?

Interesting questions?

AB Shorts, I don't think that it's re-inventing the wheel, just trying to find what tyre size it actually is. Too many people play fast and loose with definitions, notably the press, which leads us all to make ill informed decisions. The fact that there is no official definition of terrorists is very scary, especially when the USA & UK, amongst others are prosecuting a war against terrorism, using this is as an excuse to do things in my name, which I find reprehensible; yet still failing to achieve anything of note. Keep the opinions rolling though, the more we puzzle this out between us the more we can hold our elected officials accountable!

I understand what you are saying. But in today's society, someone blunt can say something quite clearly in a short sentence. The bs is generally wrapped up in at discertation about the subject.

I understand what you are saying. But in today's society, someone blunt can say something quite clearly in a short sentence. The bs is generally wrapped up in at discertation about the subject.

Then why with so many people invested in researching, investigating and rooting out terrorism can't we come up with a clear, blunt, short sentence?

Then why with so many people invested in researching, investigating and rooting out terrorism can't we come up with a clear, blunt, short sentence?

My thoughts... Too much BS being thrown into the mix. You can over analyze anything in the name of_______. (Fill in the blank for yourself).

Last edited:
So what do we do? Do we just accept what are politicians tell us? Or do we drive the subject by helping them to define what a terrorist is & hopefully enable them to make better decisions?

Discussion is fine... except that I have yet to see anyone re-define it to anything that makes more sense. Terrorisim is an act of terror toward citizens, the non-military personnel. That is already well defined. What more would you like to see added (without all the bs, just clear blunt definition)?

Discussion is fine... except that I have yet to see anyone re-define it to anything that makes more sense. Terrorisim is an act of terror toward citizens, the non-military personnel. That is already well defined. What more would you like to see added (without all the bs, just clear blunt definition)?

I can buy that, now how do we sell it?

Back