Current PTSD Rates

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
"One in three Soldiers will come back with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or comparable mental health issues, or depression and severe anxiety."

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,95096,00.html

That seems like a really high number. PJ, Team Infidel, others who have been to Afghanistan and Iraq, does this ring true from what you have seen or heard?

For the Vietnam Vets how does this compare to your experiences?

33% is a pretty high number.

Only one comprehensive study has examined the mental health impact of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq (Hoge et al., 2004). This study evaluated soldiers' reports of their experiences in the war-zones and reports of symptoms of psychological distress. The results of this study indicated that the estimated risk for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) from service in the Iraq War was 18%, and the estimated risk for PTSD from the Afghanistan mission was 11%

(...)

For example, Hoge et al. (2004) found that although approximately 80% of Iraq and Afghanistan soldiers who had a serious mental health disorder acknowledged that they had a problem, only approximately 40% stated that they were interested in receiving help and only 26% reported receiving formal mental health care. It appears that modern career soldiers are concerned about the stigma associated with mental health problems and the potential negative impact on their careers.

Reading the last paragraph about the potential negative impact on their careers is like mirroring my mind one and a half year ago...

Anyways read the full report here http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/facts/veterans/fs_iraq_afghanistan_lay_audience.html

Last edited:
bulldogg said:
http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,95096,00.html

That seems like a really high number. PJ, Team Infidel, others who have been to Afghanistan and Iraq, does this ring true from what you have seen or heard?

For the Vietnam Vets how does this compare to your experiences?

33% is a pretty high number.

I've had a couple of friends commit suicide, but the war wasn't the straw that broke the camel's back. Usually it's financial and relationship troubles. Of course, they were obviously pre-disposded to it because of the war, but that in and of itself wasn't enough to cause them to off themselves. I can't personally say I've seen first hand any huge numbers of guys that weren't coping, the stress of being deployed, being in a hostile area etc. effect everyone and in different ways, so of course you see that. But guys aren't running around cracking up and getting broke on any massive scale that you can personally see.

It's difficult to adjust when you get back, it normally takes me a bit once I'm back in "normal" society. If guys aren't watched, things have the ability to sprial and get worse. We keep a watch on each other, I know I watch my guys when I get back, and we depend on the wives/families to help us and let us know what's going on. More training should be pushed at the unit level as opposed to expecting someone to see a shrink at the first hint of a problem. The men you work with know you better than anyone, many times more than your own family, they'll know when something is wrong if they know what to look for.

I think reason the numbers seem so high is because people are talking about it more. We're a different generation than Vietnam Vets and WWII vets. Many of our younger guys have grown up in a relatively easy society, so the culture shock of not only the military and combat, but also how others live can be difficult. Guys are a lot more open about what goes on than they used to be, despite what the article says, I think more people are willing to get help or at least talk to someone. They just may not wish to go through the military to do it.

I also believe it seems so high is because we're actually keeping count this time, paying attention and making sure guys have the opportunity to get help. Statistics like this weren't kept in other wars and the numbers are probably on average. I believe the actual suicide count for Vietnam Vets is around 9K, that's counting during and after the war.

Unfortunately, we can't prevent the shock of combat, nor can we prevent the shock of trying to readjust to it. You spent months blocking what happens out so you can do your job and keep focused, only to have it hit you like a tidal wave whe you get home. It can be tough. Anyone that's ever seen or experience combat and it's consequences will always bear the scars of it, no matter how much "help" you get.

When our unit was out in the Middle East fighting terrorist and we were on the Suez Invasion in 1956, we lost more men in our regiment during that year than the British Army has lost during the last three year in Iraq. No one ever complained about PTSD during or after this time. Is because we did not know about this so never knew had it and just on with our lives. Now next month I will be meeting up with a large section of my old company and nicer bunch of well adjusted old farts you could not hope to meet. All the men have done well for them selfs since they left the forces and 95% of them are still married to girls they met while serving in the forces. Is it the previous generations who are nuts, or is some thing we are missing about todays conflicts. When we went into action there was no body armour or any thing else like that, the only assault rifles we had were the ones we picked up on battlefield.

LeEnfield said:
When our unit was out in the Middle East fighting terrorist and we were on the Suez Invasion in 1956, we lost more men in our regiment during that year than the British Army has lost during the last three year in Iraq. No one ever complained about PTSD during or after this time. Is because we did not know about this so never knew had it and just on with our lives. Now next month I will be meeting up with a large section of my old company and nicer bunch of well adjusted old farts you could not hope to meet. All the men have done well for them selfs since they left the forces and 95% of them are still married to girls they met while serving in the forces. Is it the previous generations who are nuts, or is some thing we are missing about todays conflicts. When we went into action there was no body armour or any thing else like that, the only assault rifles we had were the ones we picked up on battlefield.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with this post. Are you attempting to imply you were better men? It sort of seems like it, and while I have great respect for the soldiers of past, I don't necessarily agree with that. We adapt to the times, I'm sure had body armor been available, every single man would have been hammering to get some, same with better rifles, etc.

I think you're also trying to compare an apple to a watermelon.

The article above is not about the British military, either, it is about the US military.

**The British military claims 91 losses in 1956 and they claim 104 losses since the start of OIF (TELIC). That's all I could find on the '56 numbers, if anyone has other statistics, let me know, please.

Last edited:
Found a great link on this topic which backs up what you posted previously PJ.
http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/2006/RAND_RB9150.pdf

Interesting note is that since they have noted soldiers rely on their buddies more for help coping than traditional models they suggest training soldiers more in counselling et al.

Also lo behold...
The survey analysis showed that service members who felt they were well prepared and felt that their unit was well prepared had lower than usual stress and higher re-enlistment intentions.
No :cen:, all be damned, if you take care of your men they will take care of you. Who would have ever thunk it?
:roll:

Back