CA, Bill Returns

pixiedustboo

Redfidelboo
Ed Thomas - OneNewsNow
4/12/2008 12:05:00 PM

The recycling craze in California has made its way into legislation that, again, seeks to dictate to and punish parents who choose to discipline their children by spanking them.​

The pro-family lobby Capitol Resource Family Impact says the new version of a recycled bill promoting a "spanking ban" from last year's session of the California legislature would place any parent who spanks his or her child on four-years minimum probation and force the parent to attend a "non-violent parental education class."

AB 2943, introduced by Assemblywoman Sally Lieber, would also give the child a criminal court protective order "protecting the victim from further acts of violence or threats." Capitol Resource Family Impact (CRFI) says it is essentially identical to last year's AB 755, the highly-publicized measure that drew enough national attention for it to be defeated because of the outrage of parents.

The group claims terms used in the bill to denote "physical pain or mental suffering" are ambiguous and include references to a stick, rod, switch, belt and other items (an electrical cord, extension cord, broom, and shoe) that they do not think most parents would use.

A news release from CRFI says parents were angered enough last year that a lawmaker without any children thinks she knows better than parents how to raise their children, and the lobby group suspects that a similar effect can take place this session if voters are informed.

AB 2943 should be appearing on the Assembly Public Safety Committee agenda in the next few weeks.

______________________​

I'm not posting this to debate the right or wrong issues of spanking a child, I am posting this because once again, rights of American's are being taken away. (Or trying to be taken away).

If this spanking bill returns and actually passes this year, what will be next? If you let your child outside to play in 50 degree weather without a hat for a few minutes will the cops come drag you to jail for putting them at risk for a cold?

I am all for common sense with parenting. There are things I think are right and things I think are wrong, however, I am not in a place to tell everyone how to raise their child nor do I know how their child responds to different types of parenting. Nor is the government in a place to dictate how to parent a child as long as there is no abuse going on.

There is a quote from a well known female poet,

"Diverse children have their different natures:
Some are like flesh which nothing
but salt will keep from putrefaction,
some again like tender fruits that are best
preserved with sugar.
Those parents are wise that can
fit their nurture according to their nature."

Ann Bradstreet

I have never had to care for a child. However I can give a few pointers from a child's viewpoint.

1) Never leave a mark from abuse on your child. The child will study it and
think of revenge.

2) Never yell or scream at your child. It indicates that YOU have lack of self
control. Instead use "Command Voice" and a threatening intonation like a TI
does.

3) Never curse your child, someday you will pay for it.

4) After scolding your child, demand that the child explain back to you what was wrong and WHY it was wrong. This will clear up a LOT of misunderstandings.

5) When your child is good, offer praise as positive feedback.

I invite others to comment upon these suggestions....
:hide:
Lonnie Courtney Clay

Clayc... it's because when you were punished it was not one that was administered by rule and fairness, rather out of emotion.
When I did something bad and got punished for it, I felt bad about what I did. Did I plan on revenge? No I didn't because I knew I got what I deserved. Now how did I get to that point? Because at first, physical punishment was used (not always spanking) but that learned me to give them my ear, then I heard the reasons and it all made sense.
I was just a kid but it made sense.
As for the below:

does.

4) After scolding your child, demand that the child explain back to you what was wrong and WHY it was wrong. This will clear up a LOT of misunderstandings.

I am in agreement.
The DI voice does wonders. It works brilliantly.
I am seeing unparalleled success in my classrooms because I chose not to forget the lessons I learned as a child and lessons I learned in the Marines and I have applied it to my classes.
It is an outstanding success so far... and so much so that there is pressure to either transfer or fire me because it "makes other teachers nervous."

Clayc... it's because when you were punished it was not one that was administered by rule and fairness, rather out of emotion.
When I did something bad and got punished for it, I felt bad about what I did. Did I plan on revenge? No I didn't because I knew I got what I deserved. Now how did I get to that point? Because at first, physical punishment was used (not always spanking) but that learned me to give them my ear, then I heard the reasons and it all made sense.
As for the below:

does.

I am in agreement.
I am seeing unparalleled success in my classrooms because I chose not to forget the lessons I learned as a child and lessons I learned in the Marines and I have applied it to my classes.
It is an outstanding success so far... and so much so that there is pressure to either transfer or fire me because it "makes other teachers nervous."

I am glad to see your agreement on this subject. I was punished often (usually unfairly) as a young child, which left its mark on me by a determination to do better if I ever have children. I understand as an adult how the pressures of raising six children on a workman's wage caused my parents very great stress, but they should have tried the carrot more often rather than the stick to modify our behavior. When parents are old and grey they suffer the revenge of their children by being neglected. What goes around comes around.....

It is too bad about your problems as a teacher. The Peter principle applies quite often to schools, i.e. that administrators are chosen from those with an education degree who are themselves incapable of effectively teaching....
:horsie:

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Last edited:
As for the below:

does.

I am in agreement.

Command presence and the DI growl work .......right up until the kid discovers there are no other consequences (my oldest). Then at times a whack on the butt is in order to reinforce your position. Kinda different when it's your own kid.

There is a huge difference in spanking and child abuse.

So, grownup Californians can spank each other when they have been "very, very naughty" but a future gang banger can't be touched for any reason at all. Hmmm!!

So, grownup Californians can spank each other when they have been "very, very naughty"

Ooh, is it warm in here or is it just me?
blush2.gif

Back