Big gun battleships.

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
I've been reading an interesting article regarding the USS New Jersey and her operations during the Vietnam war and while on station off Beirut in 1983 and 1984.

Not being a sailor, my question is, would there still be a use for a big gun battleship today, with over the horizon big gun capability?

WW2 showed that the battleship was vulnerable to aircraft as seen at Pearl Harbour, and HMS Prince of Wales and Repulse sank off Malaya, but with todays technology could be provided with sufficient protection.

I'm simply interested in what people think.

Marines will always need fire support. The question becomes. Given the current conflicts that the US has become involved in, will having that amount of firepower be useful? I would argue no as a majority of the actions are in urban areas.

...I'm simply interested in what people think.

The Marines think so, and because of this we were required to keep our Iowa-class ships in good enough shape to be restored and reactivated if need be - though I think this requirement has hit its sunset provision. Part of the DDG-1000 platform requirement is 2x5in guns with extended range for shore bombardment, though there are still some Marine officers who don't think this is enough.

The Marines think so, and because of this we were required to keep our Iowa-class ships in good enough shape to be restored and reactivated if need be - though I think this requirement has hit its sunset provision. Part of the DDG-1000 platform requirement is 2x5in guns with extended range for shore bombardment, though there are still some Marine officers who don't think this is enough.

A 50inch gun with a 4000 mile range wouldn't be enough for some marines.

the 5"/54 is a good weapons system
127mm, eff range 24km
the 16"/50 is bigger
406mm, eff range 38km

For shore bombardment the 5"/54 should be sufficient.

HokieMSG

I'm not so sure, I been to Normandy several times and have had the opportunity to investigate the German Bunkers and case mates in detail. Almost all the bunkers are intact, you can see the marks of where the allied artillery hit, but the best it was to very slightly chip it. We are talking about Bunkers with 2-3 Meters of concrete reinforced by several tons of steel several inches thick. Furthermore many of these bunkers are built directly in the hillside not only providing cover but the added protection of several tons of soil earth.

And remember these bunkers were withstanding hits from 14"-16" guns. So I have trouble seeing how a 5"inch shell could penetrate such a beast.

Last edited:
Agree with you mmarsh, but as I said in my first post, based on the type and locations of current conflicts, I do not see the need to have 16" guns. Nice to have them available if we ever need them, but IMHO I don;t forsee the need for them any time soon.

A BB is always going to be was always a General Support Ship when it came to NGF support, especially her main batteries the 16' 50's. The Iowa Class wagons were always pretty stingy with the 16" rounds and if the were firing NGF missions preferred to use the secondary batteries of 5" 38's. If the target could be ranged by the 5 inchers. Even then the BB had to be released by the CATF or higher to provide direct support missions.

There had to be a reason to get one of the big girls to fire in direct support, such as the direct support ship (generally a DD or FF) being off station, at the far end of a track or having gun mount casualty problems. The need always had to be pressing for the GS BB to be released to a DS role.

Even then requesting of main battery fire by the SFCP or the SALT team was generally ignored by combat control if the target could be ranged with secondary battery guns.

Jersey's missions in Beirut when she employed her main battery were at targets that could not be ranged by ethier the Marine Artillery or by DS vessels or were considered high value targets by the command authority.

I spoke with an Officer who directed NGF in Beirut and he said that in all the fire missions he fired he received the main battery only once when he IDed an active Druze rocket site. He said that the 16 Inch rounds "Just freakin (censored and changed) took the whole freakin moutain side down. It was sooooo freakin cool." all his other missions were of the 5 inch variety. Although he did say he heard Jersey and saw Jesey hitting targets in the Bekka Valley and other inland areas, those missions were pre plots and not observed missions.

Another short fall of the 16 inch gun is it's limited projectile menu. Pretty much APC, Armor Piercing anti ship rounds and HC , High Capacity, the NGF version of HE quick for shore bombardment. Your fuze setting and fuze selection are pretty much nil, it's all Fuze Quick for the most part.

5 inch guns on the other hand offer a much better selection, especially for a manuver element needing direct support. From HE quick to Variable Time and Mechanical time, Smoke and Illum etc, the 5 inch is a much more versitile platform and has much faster rate of fire and adjustment.

So IMO while the 16 inch may have a place in pre assault bombardment and the ability to reach farther inland in the intial stages of an assault, given the advent Cruise Missles and Air Power's enhanced effectiveness the 16 inch gun has pretty much lived out it's day.

Back