????? Ads ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Bones

Forums Grumpy Old Man
I was under the impression that once you joined the forum as a member, all of those irritating "banner ads" at the top right corner of the screen went away. Even as I set here typing this post, there is a banner ad for military medals residing on my screen. I find them VERY VERY irritating (almost as bad as a 'pop-up' ad).

Can anybody give me a cogent answer?

Nothing is free....

Im pretty sure the ads that get removed are only the ones in the actual threads....log out and you will see what I mean...

The top/right banner ad have been there all the time, so there's nothing new there?
It just changes from time to time....

And as Donkey said: Nothing is free so I need to have a few ads here and there to pay for the $235/month dedicated server +++
But I want to keep the amount of ads to a minimum, and this forum is really not filled with ads at all compared to most other forums I've seen so I really can't see the big deal with that one??
It's quite relevant to the theme of this site/forum as well, isn't it. ;)

I really don't see them. I am aware of them, but see them as part of the "padding" around the page.

Having said that, I would like to suggest that our members occasionally click on the banner and visit the site concerned, after all, they are helping support this great site. I feel that it's a very small price to pay.

I notice them more but better than the ads before on one thread a while ago I commented about the ad lead to a site that said men should have multiable wives:bang:

Ad's for military things I reckon is ok. :wink:

????????? OK ?????????

I have no problem with you supporting the forum ... I was just curious because I remember a post very shortly after I joined the forum, that talked about "no ads" after you were a member. Supposedly our 'guests' saw them ... but ... members didn't IF I recollect correctly. The ads just impinged on my sight and triggered my memory.

Having said that, I would like to suggest that our members occasionally click on the banner and visit the site concerned, after all, they are helping support this great site. I feel that it's a very small price to pay.
Thanks, but visiting it alone without buying something doesn't do much.. ;)
But there's really no need to click ads/visit sites just to support this site/forum, unless you find the ads/sites interesting in the first place and want to find out more/buy something.
I'll manage to pay for the hosting/scripts etc. like it is now. :smil:

I was just curious because I remember a post very shortly after I joined the forum, that talked about "no ads" after you were a member. Supposedly our 'guests' saw them
The top right banner ad has been there all the time so there's no change there, but if you compare the threads when you're logged in and out you'll see that most of the other ads gets removed when you log in.
I don't want to "flood" the forum with ads, and at least not for registered members, but it costs me over $300/month to run this thing so I have to keep something in here even if you're logged in...

I notice them more but better than the ads before on one thread a while ago I commented about the ad lead to a site that said men should have multiable wives
And the problem with those ads where?? :hide:
(please don't hit me... :D )

That's the "problem" with Google Adsense ads..
Google tries to detect the topic/theme of a page and display relevant ads to that theme, but sometimes we can discuss rather "strange" things in here that will result in those kind of ads since we/advertisers are not 100% in control of the type of advertisers used and displayed by Google..

Can't half tell you are ARMY!

GO NAVY!!!!

hehehe
... GO NAVY! ...
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Oi,... Kiwi, this is a family show y'know. :mrgreen:

Ahhh Chief, I see you still have a way with the ladies.

Bones knows I think he is a grumpy old fart but still very cute :)

Talking about that Spike what about your whites hehe......

And don't worry my fella is Navy too and understands my needs :p

Tho he wears cams on a ship. You gotta wonder :/

Just wondering Bones you still got that sexy white uniform :oops:
Yeah ... they are hanging in the closet. Don't know if I will ever be able to wear them though ... I now top at over 200 pounds (was a 165 pounder when I was originally fit for my Class 'A' uniform ... Choke Collar and all).

Ahhhhh - the vagaries of youth ... didn't know what I had when it could have done some good. Now, the ONLY two ladies that think I am still sexy are you and my wife -

OH SWEET VAGARIES OF A MISPENT YOUTH.
sad_Blue.gif

Bones knows I think he is a grumpy old fart but still very cute :)

Talking about that Spike what about your whites hehe......

And don't worry my fella is Navy too and understands my needs :p

Tho he wears cams on a ship. You gotta wonder :/

Spknshrl1.jpg

There ya go,... me 'n' the little woman. Many, many years ago.

Like the Chief, there's no chance of me ever getting into that uniform again. I think this is only one of about five photos of me in uniform and definitely the only one in whites. It took us Stokers a week under the shower to get the fuel oil out of our pores.:roll:

Chief

I think the banner ads have always been there. They have changed recently especially the fonts that make the more noticeable. Unfortunately Redleg is right, hosting a server such as this one is quite expensive, and therefore minor inconveniences are necessary.

Spknshrl1.jpg

There ya go,... me 'n' the little woman. Many, many years ago.

Like the Chief, there's no chance of me ever getting into that uniform again. I think this is only one of about five photos of me in uniform and definitely the only one in whites. It took us Stokers a week under the shower to get the fuel oil out of our pores.:roll:

Wow thanks Spike you haven't changed that much easy to tell its you. Very Handsome.

Your wife made a very pretty Bride too.

You'll get pimples on your tongue talking about me like that.

Shirl was there as insurance to make sure the camera never broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back