WW2 88mm german shell - Page 2

--

October 30th, 2011  
senojekips

Bandit14, is there any chance of seeing a clear photograph of the offending item?
October 30th, 2011  
Redleg

Quote:
unless it was constructed badly and not filled?
anybody else seen something similar with other ordnance?
It is possible that it's an inert, since it's a bit strange that it's completely empty.
If if was a live HE shell that got the bottom knocked off (that can happen) then there should at least be some visible traces of HE inside it.

Did you find this one outdoors, or somewhere else?

It is also possible that someone has put a damaged live fuze on an inert shell, and the fuze also contains explosives so it can be dangerous even today..

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
Bandit14, is there any chance of seeing a clear photograph of the offending item?
Yes a photo would help a lot. As long as you don't get a friend to hold it while you take a pic of it...
October 30th, 2011  
senojekips

Generally my first suggestion for excessively rusted items is to dig a hole about 50cms deep. place a layer of dry firewood in the bottom and place the item on it, then gently cover it with another layer of firewood and kindling. Light the fire and retire several hundred metres for about four hours.

If it is still in the hole, most of the loose rust will be gone from it and your item can be considered safe,... if the hole is larger and no trace can be found of your treasured possession,.... buy yourself a lottery ticket.
--
October 30th, 2011  
VDKMS

In Flanders (Belgium) there are 8 to 9 calls a day to DOVO about found WWI and II munitions. DOVO is a bomd disposal team of 146 deminers.
So I think the safest way is to leave it were it is and call a bomb disposal expert ASAP.
October 30th, 2011  
42RM

Rule no: 1

No ordnance is safe until a professional has rendered it safe.
October 30th, 2011  
Yossarian

Look at it this way, if a group of insurgent wannabes half way around the globe can dig up 50+ year old ordnance out of the side of a mountain and wire it to blow the bottom out of a modern armored vehicle then the bare truth is that your suspected ordnance until proven otherwise has the capability to do that to you.

It's alright to consider yourself a risk taker, but sometimes something risk can devolve into another term.

Anyway best of luck with your possible explosive addition to your collection.
October 30th, 2011  
BANDIT14

I do know what I am looking at, but have never seen a shell in this condition. The shell is worth its weight in scrap metal to me, but the knowledge of knowing how it came to this state is invaluable.
October 31st, 2011  
Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDIT14
The shell is worth its weight in scrap metal to me, but the knowledge of knowing how it came to this state is invaluable.
As I said, a couple of pictures would help a lot, as long as it's safe to photograph the shell.