The WTO Connection

--
The WTO Connection

December 11th, 2005  
bulldogg

Topic: The WTO Connection

The WTO Connection
Well in my bid to move my family out of China I have been offered a job in Hong Kong. I am off in 12 hours to go sign the contract and sign the paperwork to apply for my work permit and residency card. In the back of my mind I knew there is some WTO ministerial meeting or other going on right now. What I wasn't painfully aware of until I watched the news from HK just now is that the "official protest zone" is located 100 metres from where I will be going tomorrow. I am trying to get a handle on what these protesters are on about but to be honest I don't quite get what their major malfunction is. I guess I'll get to ask someone tomorrow if the conversation presents itself.

PS. I'll bring the camera and if I see anything interesting I'll put it up. Wish me luck.
December 11th, 2005  
Ted

Good Luck Bulldog, I heard that WTO meetings are always a happy fieldtrip for anarchists, anti-globalists, left wingers and people who enjoying to throw stones at cops. The other objectors usually stay at home, because things can get nasty. At least they did in Europe, but I don't know what will happen in Hong Kong.

P.s. Give some impressions because I currently working on a trip to Hong Kong and I'm interested in how it is like. Besides the protests that is!
December 11th, 2005  
Morten

hehe ye good luck m8 seems like u're gonna need it
--
The WTO Connection
December 11th, 2005  
bulldogg

I am going to need help just wrapping my brain around why these people are so flipped out over something they are absolutely powerless to affect. Korean farmers, Indonesia nannies, Zambian fishermen, lions, tigers, and bears, oh my!

News update just freaked out the missus. Apparently the HK police are investigating two disturbing reports. 1) some individual person purchased 100 gas masks today and 2) over 150 HK security guard uniforms are MIA from a uniform supply shop.

Fark.
December 11th, 2005  
Morten

omg that doesn't sounds nice! be safe bulldog!
December 11th, 2005  
Missileer

Mr. B, keep your your hands in plain sight and try not to look guilty.
December 12th, 2005  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
. I am trying to get a handle on what these protesters are on about but to be honest I don't quite get what their major malfunction is.
I'm guessing their major malfunction is that they get pissed at The Man for sodomizing them and a lot of other human beings.
December 12th, 2005  
phoenix80

I've been to Hong Kong. It is a lovely place!
December 12th, 2005  
bulldogg

Yawn... I even brought my collapsable baton but nothing, nada, zep... more on this tomorrow when my brain is actually in gear... zzzzzzzzzz
December 12th, 2005  
5.56X45mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix80
I've been to Hong Kong. It is a lovely place!
Except for the Communist Government and the Secert Police. Yeah it's a lovely place.

PS - Bulldog, stay safe.