Worst Moment in Your Country's Millitary History - Page 7

--

May 11th, 2005  
behemoth79

it was sanctioned by the president. he does hold the title Commander in Cheif. so technically it was headed by the military and carried out by the CIA and Cubans.
May 11th, 2005  
Zucchini

I don't see it as a worst moment for the military. It was definitely a bad moment for the CIA. They made a lot of mistakes.
May 12th, 2005  
danthepirate

worst moment eh?

for the u.s. it has to be the vietnam war (in my opinion). I mean what did we accomplish. We went in there and ruined everything. Just think, what would have happened if we had just watched and not acted. oh crap what is his name again....oh yes Hochimen's (or whatever or how ever his name is spelled or pronounced) role modle was general george washington! he wanted to creat a country similar to the u.s. and we came in there and jacked it up. weird eh?

--
May 12th, 2005  
danthepirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight
Vietnam War, then the War of 1812.
what, the war of 1812? this is america right? umm i don't know if that was such a screw up for us.
May 12th, 2005  
behemoth79

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthepirate
Quote:
what, the war of 1812? this is america right? umm i don't know if that was such a screw up for us.
the reason the war of 1812 is mentioned is because it resulted in the status quo. the only thing that changed is britain stopped impressing US soldiers.
May 13th, 2005  
Arclight

Quote:
Originally Posted by behemoth79
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthepirate
Quote:
the reason the war of 1812 is mentioned is because it resulted in the status quo. the only thing that changed is britain stopped impressing US soldiers.
Correct. Also, from what I have read, the invasion of Canada by the U.S. during that war was a complete disaster. The White House and Capitol were burned down.

On the plus side, the war did produce our National Anthem.
May 13th, 2005  
Charge 7

Quote:
it was sanctioned by the president. he does hold the title Commander in Cheif. so technically it was headed by the military
By that reasoning the turkeys the President "pardons" and frees from becoming dinner every Thanksgiving are POWs.
May 19th, 2005  
HUKBALAHAP

Topic: Worst Moment in Your Country's Millitary History

In my country(the Philippine) that will be the ferst war of oure ferst Republic.(philipphine American War.. most comonly known as Philipphine insurection)

For Philippine independence was short-lived.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Several weeks before Aguinaldo's proclamation, on May 1, 1898, Commodore George Dewey had entered Manila Bay and destroyed the Spanish fleet. U.S. troops began arriving in Manila in August. And in December, Spain and the United States signed a peace treaty in Paris under which the Philippines was ceded to the Americans for $20 million.

The February 1899 encounter in Santa Mesa between the American sentries and Filipino soldiers was followed by an American offensive that forced the Filipinos to retreat from Manila. But what the U.S. commanders expected would be a short and easy war turned out to be longer and bloodier than the three-month engagement with Spain
May 20th, 2005  
MI Blues

Topic: Worst Military History Moment? Task Force Smith - Korea

Here's the link for more details, but for 50 years the battle cry of US military trainers has been "No More Task Force Smith's" - and for good reason:

http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/oq...g/tfsmith.html
May 23rd, 2005  
Cadet_Shelton

I would have to say that Sherman's burning of Atlanta, subsequent march to the sea, and the burning of Columbia.

-or-

The bombing of Pearl Harbor