Who was the worst American general or battlefield tactician? - Page 9

--

March 25th, 2005  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavScout
Major General Benedict Arnold....why you ask? Because he chose the wrong side...
You could say that about Lee as well.
(Wasnt he given the option to lead the Union army at the begining?).
March 26th, 2005  
melkor the first

Topic: worst American battlefild general

Certainly not Arnold- a better choice would be George Washington but Burnside remains the sentimental choice if onlyfor Lincoln's great quote"only Burnside could natch defeat from the jaws of victory".
March 26th, 2005  
CavScout

I think ya'll missed my point... Arnold is the worst because he started out American and ended up a traitor and dead in another country. Lee started an American and may have taken up arms against his country but at least he died and American (Confederate States of America) in America. Arnold may have been a decent tactician but when it came down to it he made the wrong choice at the wrong time and it cost him his whole hostory. How many other American generals are part of an insult..."You Benedict Arnold"....that kind of thing...?
--
March 26th, 2005  
Charge 7

Yeah, I can see your point, but that's really "worst" in Arnold's own personal life. He was actually a very able commander in the field as the victory at Saratoga is a clear indication of that fact. The "worst" we're looking for here is in the larger sense of "worst in the field".
May 7th, 2005  
Dean

General Ambrose Burnside. He ordered his Union regiments to mine under the Confederate lines and detonated a very large bomb under them. He then ordered a frontal attack which forced his troops into the crater they had just created. The Confererate soldiers simply stood on the lip of the crater and picked off the Union soldeirs as they tried to climb out of the hole. When told about this debacle, Abraham Lincoln was supposed to have said that only General Burnside could have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Dean.
May 24th, 2005  
MI Blues

Topic: Worst General Ever? Westmoreland came to mind quickly.

Without facts and figures to back it up, it's difficult to support this stab in the dark, but how does General Westmoreland (of Viet Nam fame) escape notice in this subject? Or any number of "Take that hill, now give it back" subordinate senior commanders?

A note on Benedict Arnold - He proved his competence beyond measure by defending West Point against British aggressors. It was only late in the war that he turned traitor. Had he not been an American Hero because of his West Point and Upper New York State battles at the time, we probably would never have heard of him.
June 17th, 2005  
ghost457

i think its Ambrose Burnside. he orders a frontal attack on one of the most impregnable defensive positions ever used in a war, after sitting there on the other side of a river for a month, watching Lee dig his troops into Marye's Heights above Fredericksburg. seriously, is he trying to lose?
June 18th, 2005  
canadianpatriot

Custer , little Bighorn
June 18th, 2005  
SHERMAN

Quote:
Custer , little Bighorn
I don't know if that one battle represents his career... As I know it he was a very well respected Cavalry General(SA members feel free to correct me).
June 18th, 2005  
Charge 7

He was a great cavalry commander in the Civil War fighting gainst the South. He was a very poor Indian fighter though. Being very bad against one opponenet and very good against another doesn't indicate he was the worst overall.