Will you still serve?

I would always serve my country but if we get a government that wants to control the whole world then i rather take out a government and be done with it

What's the difference who the president is? If you're a soldier, you're a soldier. If not, go home and don't endanger your fellow soldiers. I served under under 5 presidents and I couldn't tell you how many were Dems or Reps off hand. It just doesn't make any difference.
What are you going to do if your commanding officer has an accent you don't like or a hair color you don't like or sends you somewhere you'd rather not go (it will happen)? If you're a real soldier you'll do your job and keep your mouth shut otherwise you're in for a short, miserable career my friend. One thing you must learn is to follow your leaders and follow their orders and ask questions later (if at all). That's just the way it is. If you can't do that, find another profession.

Top I could not agree with you more. This whole train of thought from dumbfounds me on so many levels. CINC is CINC regardless of party.
While you may not like the person in that chair as a Solider, Sailor, Marine, or Airman what you are defending is the right of your fellow Countrymen to decide who sits in it. My.02.

DTop said:
What's the difference who the president is? If you're a soldier, you're a soldier. If not, go home and don't endanger your fellow soldiers. I served under under 5 presidents and I couldn't tell you how many were Dems or Reps off hand. It just doesn't make any difference.
What are you going to do if your commanding officer has an accent you don't like or a hair color you don't like or sends you somewhere you'd rather not go (it will happen)? If you're a real soldier you'll do your job and keep your mouth shut otherwise you're in for a short, miserable career my friend. One thing you must learn is to follow your leaders and follow their orders and ask questions later (if at all). That's just the way it is. If you can't do that, find another profession.

Well said.

I personally will not look to who is president when I am able to enlist (or most likely go to West Point). Although I would rather have a replublican as president.

texasrebel211 said:
I personally will not look to who is president when I am able to enlist (or most likely go to West Point). Although I would rather have a replublican as president.
thats is true, it doesn't matter who the pres is, but you can still like or dislike the guy for his domestic and foreign policy

I agree with the once that says you serve the country not the leader of the country. I know that I'm not an american but the same situation can be anywere. If I would have said that it must be the party of my choice that must rule then I would never joined up...

Yup. When you are a soldier it's about that job.
The politics are for the others.
Harder said than done but that's the nature of the job.

Some who enlist do so for other reasons than serving the president or the country. It bothers me, but some join only for the benefits and don't really want anything to do with the military. I joined for a page full of reasons (literally, i made a list before i joined). Things like 9.11, for my father who has cancer (to show him i'm not worthless. He has always felt strongly about the military) , and the simple fact that you cannot be a Ranger unless you enlist. ;)

Well I don't think the people who join for the benefits are a problem as long as they're given the most boring jobs such as sweeping the floor at the Pentagon, filing papers at the Pentagon... well just sitting in the Pentagon or other fine military installations and stay away from the place where the real soldiers are.

I don't think it's intelligent of them to join just because of the benefits. That isn't a big enough reason to get you through all the crap you have to take. Well at least for me it isn't. I might be joining because I can get my advanced degrees paid for, but that isn't a primary reason for joining. If you aren't fighting for an ideal that I don't believe you'd be a very effective soldier.

Had 9/11 never happened, had we never had war declared on us, had we never went to war in Afghanistan and Iraq I never would have even considered joining. But when I heard that my family, my friends, and my way of life were in danger of being wiped from the earth by fanatics I made the decision to join. It matters not to me who the President is (although I am happy Bush won). I enlist to protect everything I love. When my country made the call for a few good souls, I signed to go. That is the right thing to do, it is what any honorable, protective, and truly loving person will do. Defend what they love.

This is just disgusting. If you love your Country then you would join, if you love your Country then you would serve no matter who was President, if you love your Country, you would join because you would respect the vote of a Nation. To say you would not join due to the fact that somebody you dont happen to approve of is a pathetic statement and tells me you were thinkin of joinin for the wrong reasons to begin with.

Back