Will Russia one day join NATO

--

October 31st, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Topic: Will Russia one day join NATO

or will it one day join EU?

Why Europeans treat Russia quite different than all other European countries.

Is there already a Slavic nation inside EU?

What do you think.
October 31st, 2004  
Shadowalker

it might join NATO, im not sure how much they feel part of europe, is it enough to join the EU
October 31st, 2004  
silent driller

I thought they were part of it already! What the hell's taking them so long?
--
October 31st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Its mostly a matter of what Russia wants to do. The Russian people would have to overcome some deep set prejudices they feel against NATO before it could ever happen. As far as the EU? I don't have my finger on the pulse of Russian public opinion, but I'd be willing to bet anything that they think -- "Western European nonsense. Worse yet, Germany is a big part of it. Down with the EU and their imperialist designs!!"

You never know what the future holds though.
October 31st, 2004  
A Can of Man

I think Russia will want to make a turnaround and become its own center of influence. I don't think they want to crawl into an organization with headquarters in some foreign country that actually yields a lot of authority.
October 31st, 2004  
larsrq

It's very hard for me to belive that Russia would like to be part of NATO or EU. It's still the enemy for the general public over there, I think.

In EU we got some former WP countries. All the Baltic states, Poland and some more. I don't remember right now but we got I think nine more members this year. Russia didn't like that at all. The Baltic states also joined NATO at that really upset mother Russia.. They didn't like that squadron of F16 that got deploey to one of the countries the same day they joined.
October 31st, 2004  
Darcia

Russia is technicly part of NATO already, however they are only on a very very very very very low low low low low part of it.

The way i see it Russia will not last much longer at this rate. I see Russia one day being slit up. Then most likly the The New Western Parts will join NATO. However They may one day be forced to join the EU if things keep up. After all America is renting out our Ambassadors Mansion in Moscow for 3 US dollers a year Now.
October 31st, 2004  
Hegario

I can't see Russia ever as a part of NATO. The Soviet tradition is still a huge factor in politics and they still see themselves as a major power which they undoubtedly are, although at a lot lesser extent. Regular Russians would see joining NATO as the ultimate bitchslap since at one point they were capable of marching across western Europe.

They might co-operate if it's in their interest but never as a full-time member.
October 31st, 2004  
Darcia

They may however eventualy the USSR Generation will one day die off. they are the ones who urn to Return to the Glory days of he USSR, and right now that is the Generation running the Government. However in about 30 years the first Generation of Non-USSR Civilians will begin to rule in the Russian Government. They may not have such a hate for the West and relise it will do them good to join.
November 1st, 2004  
Bratwurst

Russia is turning into an autocracy. Putin will be there for a long time. Given the current situation there is no way Russia could join NATO, even if they wanted it. That is if NATO stands up to its principles - the UN charter.

Members of the EU? - Not likely in the near future...

I see an independent Russia going its own, not always pleasant but successful way, with strong economical ties to Europe and China and politically pretty much isolated. It will remain a wildcard with its veto in the security council of the UN though.