Why the word "Superpower" exists?

godofthunder9010

Awhile back, I looked up the word Superpower --
"A powerful and influential nation, especially a nuclear power that dominates its allies or client states in an international power bloc." was the definition from one dictionary.

"a state powerful enough to influence events throughout the world" was the definition from another.

I've never really like the term Superpower because it seems to effectively claim that a nation like the United States today (or the USSR in the Cold War era) is somehow unprecedented throughout history. Minus the obvious "nuclear" qualifier, what nations in the history of the world could have been referred to as Superpowers according to those definitions? Three I thought of: Spain, Great Britain and France all used to have the level of influence worldwide that would qualify them.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Well it's relative.
Ultimately I think it comes down to a country's ability to whack the crap out of any other country that gets in the way.
Of course, economics, scientific advancement etc. all count. After all if you lead in all that chances are you will also be militarily strong. I think military strength is probably a good aggregate indicator of all the other factors.
So Rome used to be a super power.
Spain used to be a super power.
The UK used to be a super power
France was a super power under Napoleon.

Nowadays with these complex weapons such as biological etc. the term is harder to define...

the_13th_redneck said:
So Rome used to be a super power.
Spain used to be a super power.
The UK used to be a super power
France was a super power under Napoleon.

Nowadays with these complex weapons such as biological etc. the term is harder to define...

China used to be a super power---only in Asia
Rome used to be a super power.---only in Europe
Eygpt used to be super power. ---only in mideast, africa
Spain used to be a super power.---only in South America
The UK used to be a super power---that is true
France was a super power under Napoleon.---only in Europe, maybe Africa
USA is a really superpower---by any means......today. but it is going to end soon.

Hmmm well if it requires cultural hegemony then I guess you're right.
Spain was a super power in South, Central, North America and also in Asia. I think that qualifies for super power.
By the way whosewar, every super power etc. comes to an end some day. So you don't really need to mention it. But of course you get a kick out of mentioning it.
The world changes all the time.

We'll know it when it happens. And even that process will take a long time. I too believe the American hegemony is on the relative decline. Not so much in terms of anything else other than social reasons. Often when a power declines, it's because of internal reasons.
I think it's precisely the reason why Europe won't be a super power. The only country which could do it, the UK is too small.
China is a realistic candidate but it has a lot of catching up to do so may take about 15-20 years to get there simply because America's that far ahead at the moment.

I don't see how Europe can unite in the near future. You can unite currency, share share some common laws, but there's always a line people won't cross.
In Belgium, the trend was Flanders and Wallonia actually moved further apart into a more Federal system. Shows you how different people hate being together.
Ultimately if the whole European uniting experiment hits a massive road block, it very well could be France. They just HATE to compromise with the others. It's probably one of the biggest reasons why the UK won't be a full member of the EU.

You forgot the biggest reason they wont unite, the language barrier. It is the hardest thing for all of them to speak the same language, and it is totally necesarry if they ever want to unite. :cowb:

Chocobo_Blitzer said:
Yeah a united europe is far, far off from becoming a super power anytime in like.... 40 years.

From my experience---many European are very internationlism, and, in fact, most of them can speak multiple language. they will unite finally,say in 20 years. When they start use the same currency, that means lots than just money---they have to comprise most important part (Economy) of each country to others if they want to use same economy policy, and that is the just exact first step to unite, not mentioning they can travel to each other without passport at all.

That could be a superpower. in my opinion.

by the way, ActAFool, your name is really cool, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep. Very multilingual, especially Belgium. Those guys are language maniacs and I pride myself in having beaten every Belgian I have met in terms of languages LOL.
Most Germans will speak English. Dutch people speak excellent English. Belgium isn't that good at English though they are better than a great deal of people.
It was actually pretty funny. I had a Belgian girlfriend who's primary language was Flemish. Now her family's English is quite frankly, terrible s we have a bit of a language barrier. One day her uncle shows up and his English is much better but we end up speaking Spanish. His was a bit better though because he was learning it right there and then while I had 2 years to forget it. Still good stuff.

The Europeans are rather internationalist, but there is a limit to that. They like the ideas but when the reality hits, they mostly back off.

whosewar2000 said:
Chocobo_Blitzer said:
Yeah a united europe is far, far off from becoming a super power anytime in like.... 40 years.

From my experience---many European are very internationlism, and, in fact, most of them can speak multiple language. they will unite finally,say in 20 years. When they start use the same currency, that means lots than just money---they have to comprise most important part (Economy) of each country to others if they want to use same economy policy, and that is the just exact first step to unite, not mentioning they can travel to each other without passport at all.

That could be a superpower. in my opinion.

by the way, ActAFool, your name is really cool, :lol: :lol: :lol:

I dont think America is on the decline at all. We keep getting stronger and stronger. Of course we have problems like every other country but we always get over them. Im sure we will fall some day but im sure it will be long after my death. If you think about it we have set ourselfs up not to fall. Unlike all the old superpowers we have many many allies which i think was their fatal mistake.

The rise and fall of superpowers - err! Empires??? are just the natural cycle of things. Yes! there will be the decline of the USA - not in our lifetimes, maybe, but it will occur and when it does - someone else will step in. I just hope that we do not re-enter a phase where we have a standoff as we did in the cold war, again. That situation held the possibility of removing the planet of most of its life.

As for China, I don't see China rulling Europe -ever! Does anybody else? I think that they will probably dominate more of asia - one day. At least I hope so - I couldn't eat rice, noodles and sweet & sour every day :D

All off-topic posts removed!

There are several members here who needs to adjust their attitude (a lot), and start to follow the forum rules!

One more flaming/off-topic post from you and you will get a permanent ban!
(You know yourself who I'm talking about!)

Keep on topic here from now on! Please!

The USA and China are the only two countries that have the capabilities to be superpowers, once american influence starts to wane then i expect china will take over especially in asia and perhaps africa but europe and the americas will probably stay more under the influence of the US. As for europe becoming a superpower it might happen but not for a while, germany, france and belgium might merge to become a european superstae but in countries like britain i think there is still too much nationalism, though this may well change.

Shadowalker said:
The USA and China are the only two countries that have the capabilities to be superpowers, once american influence starts to wane then i expect china will take over especially in asia and perhaps africa but europe and the americas will probably stay more under the influence of the US. As for europe becoming a superpower it might happen but not for a while, germany, france and belgium might merge to become a european superstae but in countries like britain i think there is still too much nationalism, though this may well change.

what I found is that history proceed like "clock", make round circle geographically .

After all, China's GDP dominent the world from thousands years ago until 1860 ( I checked some websites, China's GDP was more than 40% of the whole world for long long time).

so, no surprise at all if China come back to become SuperPower again.

Well personally I see Europe's power just kind of hovering. In terms of raw power, I can see China exceed Europe, but because they are so far apart, I don't see each side giving the other any problems.

Back