Why do we fear terrorism the way we do?

Well, it's the doomsday clock syndrome.

"The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists has informed the world what time it is since 1947, when its now-famous "Doomsday Clock" first appeared of the cover of the magazine. Since then, the minute hand of the clock has moved forward and back to reflect the global level of nuclear danger and the state of international security."

The clock hands were on seven minutes to midnight in 1947 and it was seven minutes to midnight in 2002. I think they are still at seven to midnight. I don't know how accurate the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists is but they sold a lot of magazines.

Every generation has had it's own "end of the world" fear probably starting with the fear of the dark, fear of vengeful Gods, fear of disease, right on through fear of nuclear annihilation to fear of terrorism. Instead of our senses becoming dulled to fears that never seem to reach our expectations, they seem to have sharpened to the possibility that the monster is just around the next turn. The only way we have been able to live with fear and stay sane is to vilify and then attempt to destroy our most dreaded fear and just tolerate the smaller ones until they rise to the top of the list.

Show me a person without fear and I'll show you a person who fails the breath on the mirror test.

Because people cannot understand that by lviving in a open society you cannot be secure. It is not the government's job to protect you. The US Sumpreme Court said it themselves. It isn't a Cop's job to go to your house and stop a rapist. IT'S YOUR JOB.

Get a CCW and start carrying. I bet you terrorist will be afraid just like the Japs were during WWII. A rifle behind evey blade of grass. That is the idea that we must present to the terrorist. That we're all armed to the teeth and that our bite is worse than our bark.

LeEnfield 2 said:
Some people have this great fear of death, as they seem to think that theirs is only life with value to it. Now if they brought back some form of military call up then they might just a slightly more fatalistic view on the whole matter, and would learn to enjoy life while they around.

I could not agree with this sentiment more. And coupled with the admonition from Luis I say it would be two steps in the right direction. However if history gives us any sign of what it takes to foment change I would be most pessimistic. Historically empires and more pointedly the US have always reacted rather than acted. Further encumbering our present situation is the plethora of people who think they are owed everything by the government and fail to take responsibility for their own lives. I believe there will be a hard inner core but that until blood begins spilling daily in the streets of America people will not change and will continue to live by the NIMBY principle.

The Chechens have a saying, all people are one of two animals. Wolves or sheep. The hunter or the hunted. The generation that won the second world war were of far harder stock having been reared during the great depression. This present herd is of the "food animal" variety, soft and ready for the picking of the wolves be they domestic criminals or international terrorists.

There are three types of people in the world.

1) Wolves
2) Sheep
3) Dogs

Sheep are those that cannot protect themselves. They hope that others will protect or more than likely. The Government and it's socialized Welfare State will step in and provide them 24hrs Security.

Wolves are the predators that pray on the sheep. They are nothing but cold blooded killers that wish to do nothing but harm to the people.

Dogs are just like the wovles. Expect they work by rules. Dogs follow and understand that sheep. While stupid and useless, need to be protected. They hold the same power that wolves have. But they do not abuse it. They do not take that power and pray on the sheep to gain a better position in life. Though sometimes dogs have to fight just as dirty as wovles, they never do it out of evil reasons. They do it so the sheep never have to dirty their weak minds.

Which one do you fall in. I'm a down right dirty mutt dog. But hey, I'm not no sheep or wolf.

Luis (5.56X45MM)

When you carry a firearm, you carry the mean of your own self protection. Get a gun, start carrying, protect your loved ones from the criminals and scumbags of the world.

Nice further analogy Luis, I like it. Though what protects the sheep when the dogs go feral? And is it in the nature of the dog to protect the sheep or must he be trained to do so?

Some of our most famous assassins in US history were in fact former soldiers. Some of the people training terrorists today are in fact former soldiers of the very country's being targetted. I think it is owing to facts like these and the fatalistic view of islam that excludes the dog from Chechen lore.

It is a moot point if one "fears" terrorism.

If there is "fear", then it is "fear of the unknown" that prompts the revulsion that one has for terrorism as against the "apprehension" in a declared war where the battle is recognisable.

Connected is also the fact that the terrorists are moving innocuously within the general population and they act with mindless devastation.

You have a great insight on contemporary society. As long as we meet the threat and use our brains to defend ourselves, wolves will find another easier flock and avoid our "teeth".

Ruff...err.. Horah!

Hell, I'll always have my teeth. I'm going into law enforcement. And if the day after I get my badge and they say guns for civilians are outlawed. Guess what, I'll make sure that every upright standing good minded gun owner gets to keep his/her gun. And that's just not it. I'll quit, turn in my badge, and become a outlaw.

5.56X45mm said:
Ruff...err.. Horah!

Hell, I'll always have my teeth. I'm going into law enforcement. And if the day after I get my badge and they say guns for civilians are outlawed. Guess what, I'll make sure that every upright standing good minded gun owner gets to keep his/her gun. And that's just not it. I'll quit, turn in my badge, and become a outlaw.

Outlaw..... do you mean wolf? Sorry dude, just had to day that!

Merry Christman anyway:roll:

Back