Why do the USMC do more PT than the Army?

--

March 10th, 2008  
Cdt Matteo

Topic: Why do the USMC do more PT than the Army?

I've always wanted to know why the USMC (United States Marine Corps) do more PT than the Army? What is the answer or what are your thoughts about it?

I think they should make it even because the Army, being much larger than the USMC, would be a lot more kick ass if it did as much PT as the USMC. It may up their combat effectiveness.
March 10th, 2008  
Damien435

Do you have any proof that the Marines do more PT or is this just based on what you saw in Jarhead?
March 10th, 2008  
Big_Z

I think your confused with an actual APFT and the term "PT". The Marine core PT test is more demanding but that by no means mean they do more PT. It all comes down to unit SOP.
--
March 10th, 2008  
Team Infidel

also depends on location, unit and MOS in a lot of cases....
March 10th, 2008  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Infidel
also depends on location, unit and MOS in a lot of cases....
I'll with TI on this. A Marine Infantry Unit PT's more than say an Air Wing unit. An Army Infantry Unit PT's more than an Army MP unit.
March 10th, 2008  
Cdt Matteo

I'm talking Marine Infantry and Army Infantry compared in how much Physical Training they do.
March 11th, 2008  
Damien435

Neither one does more PT than the other, Marines will spend more time in the water, the Army more time in the air (Airborne) or in the woods. Just because they are doing different types of PT doesn't mean one is doing more than the other. Their different missions require different training techniques and to train different muscles, a guard and a tackle will have different training regimens even though they both have the same goal: protect the quarterback.
March 11th, 2008  
Marinerhodes

I am in a support role (Supply Administration and Logistics). My section (read platoon) conducts physical training (PT) 5 times a week for a minimum of 1 hour each week day. My last unit was lucky to conduct unit PT three times a week and it was the same job.

If I recall correctly the Marine Corps Order states a minimum of 3 hours of PT per week but recommends 5 hours a week. We generally do physical conditioning 4 days a week with the 5th day being a recreational activity like touch football, basketball or other high intensity game.
March 11th, 2008  
Damien435

Touch football? You'd think with $600 billion to spend this year the DoD could spring for some flags or something.
March 11th, 2008  
Spartacus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdt Matteo
I've always wanted to know why the USMC (United States Marine Corps) do more PT than the Army? What is the answer or what are your thoughts about it?

I think they should make it even because the Army, being much larger than the USMC, would be a lot more kick ass if it did as much PT as the USMC. It may up their combat effectiveness.
I am sure the people in TRADOC consider everything in readying the troops for combat. The Army, as much as the Marines, will not establish protocols or lack thereof that will leave us weak for battle.

I see by your profile that you are in neither the US Army nor the US Marine Corps so I gather you are making assumptions.

As said by others, it varies by unit. There is even a difference between Infantry companies within the same battalion. PT is not determined by something as broad as branch, but something as narrow as unit SOP, expected AO, and the NCO's in charge of PT.