Why do the USMC do more PT than the Army?

Cdt Matteo

I've always wanted to know why the USMC (United States Marine Corps) do more PT than the Army? What is the answer or what are your thoughts about it?

I think they should make it even because the Army, being much larger than the USMC, would be a lot more kick ass if it did as much PT as the USMC. It may up their combat effectiveness.

I think your confused with an actual APFT and the term "PT". The Marine core PT test is more demanding but that by no means mean they do more PT. It all comes down to unit SOP.

Neither one does more PT than the other, Marines will spend more time in the water, the Army more time in the air (Airborne) or in the woods. Just because they are doing different types of PT doesn't mean one is doing more than the other. Their different missions require different training techniques and to train different muscles, a guard and a tackle will have different training regimens even though they both have the same goal: protect the quarterback.

I am in a support role (Supply Administration and Logistics). My section (read platoon) conducts physical training (PT) 5 times a week for a minimum of 1 hour each week day. My last unit was lucky to conduct unit PT three times a week and it was the same job.

If I recall correctly the Marine Corps Order states a minimum of 3 hours of PT per week but recommends 5 hours a week. We generally do physical conditioning 4 days a week with the 5th day being a recreational activity like touch football, basketball or other high intensity game.

Touch football? You'd think with $600 billion to spend this year the DoD could spring for some flags or something. :p

I've always wanted to know why the USMC (United States Marine Corps) do more PT than the Army? What is the answer or what are your thoughts about it?

I think they should make it even because the Army, being much larger than the USMC, would be a lot more kick ass if it did as much PT as the USMC. It may up their combat effectiveness.

I am sure the people in TRADOC consider everything in readying the troops for combat. The Army, as much as the Marines, will not establish protocols or lack thereof that will leave us weak for battle.

I see by your profile that you are in neither the US Army nor the US Marine Corps so I gather you are making assumptions.

As said by others, it varies by unit. There is even a difference between Infantry companies within the same battalion. PT is not determined by something as broad as branch, but something as narrow as unit SOP, expected AO, and the NCO's in charge of PT.

If it is any thing like the British Army then some of top units pride themselves on their fitness. Also I would suspect that many of these units are on a short stand bye times for shipping out to trouble spots. so these units need to be fit at all times

Again Le - if is anything like the British Army, then infantry units etc. are constantly on the square with their rifle drill, which we know is basically a fitness regime - and a damn good one. Hours at a time, remember. (Oh yes - I bloody well remember!)

On this subject, my step-father served 18 years in my Regiment, Highland Light Infantry - 10 years North West frontier of India etc., from 15 years old or so.
He was a Battalion Piper, a Battalion Highland dancer (top fitness required) an award winning gymnast; a fitness fanatic by the standards of those days. He survived Dunkirk, and eventually was called for, or put forward for, the early days of the SAS; he was very proud of that and filled my head with it as a kid (whether that was in breach of the rules I don't know). However , after reporting and taking part in whatever - he didn't make it.

Last edited:
Del Boy.....We never bothered to much about rifle drill, but we were out doing forced marches and every form of physical exercise they could think of to keep us fit for front line service. We were on a constant 24 hour stand by for trouble spots any where in the world in those days

It sounds to me that the statement comparing the USMC & US Army is totally wide of the mark. Not a shock. From what I see in the ADF the PT done by units relates more to their role and also unit pride/discipline. Since sport is a big part of the Australian army it is hard to see the distinction between units in this sense, but some other points it shines through.

I'll with TI on this. A Marine Infantry Unit PT's more than say an Air Wing unit. An Army Infantry Unit PT's more than an Army MP unit.

Thats true, when I was in AIMD at Norva we had 2 Marines that pt'd WAY more than we did. We pt'd at least once a year,at most once a year too.:)

The main reason Marines do more PT is because if they didn't, they would forget how between sessions.:-D Just a thought from a sailor!:pirate2:

The main reason Marines do more PT is because if they didn't, they would forget how between sessions.:-D Just a thought from a sailor!:pirate2:

LMFAO

Ex-Army here, Infantry. No idea what Marines do for PT, but I sincerely doubt some of the Marines I've seen, especially female types, did any more than what we did in either the 3rd or the 1st Divisions. Highly doubt it.

Yeah I have a good ex USMC friend who said he didn't like female Marines because they were too damn slow at doing stuff.
I on the other hand knew this one female RoKMC drill instructor... man she could put 90% of the world's men to shame.

New Marine PFT coming out in June 08, required for all Marines. If you aint PT'n hard now you will be, or out the door you go. 1stSgt

Back