Why do the USMC do more PT than the Army? - Page 2

--

March 11th, 2008  
LeEnfield

If it is any thing like the British Army then some of top units pride themselves on their fitness. Also I would suspect that many of these units are on a short stand bye times for shipping out to trouble spots. so these units need to be fit at all times
March 12th, 2008  
Del Boy

Again Le - if is anything like the British Army, then infantry units etc. are constantly on the square with their rifle drill, which we know is basically a fitness regime - and a damn good one. Hours at a time, remember. (Oh yes - I bloody well remember!)

On this subject, my step-father served 18 years in my Regiment, Highland Light Infantry - 10 years North West frontier of India etc., from 15 years old or so.
He was a Battalion Piper, a Battalion Highland dancer (top fitness required) an award winning gymnast; a fitness fanatic by the standards of those days. He survived Dunkirk, and eventually was called for, or put forward for, the early days of the SAS; he was very proud of that and filled my head with it as a kid (whether that was in breach of the rules I don't know). However , after reporting and taking part in whatever - he didn't make it.
March 12th, 2008  
LeEnfield

Del Boy.....We never bothered to much about rifle drill, but we were out doing forced marches and every form of physical exercise they could think of to keep us fit for front line service. We were on a constant 24 hour stand by for trouble spots any where in the world in those days
--
March 12th, 2008  
AussieNick

It sounds to me that the statement comparing the USMC & US Army is totally wide of the mark. Not a shock. From what I see in the ADF the PT done by units relates more to their role and also unit pride/discipline. Since sport is a big part of the Australian army it is hard to see the distinction between units in this sense, but some other points it shines through.
March 16th, 2008  
wolfen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
I'll with TI on this. A Marine Infantry Unit PT's more than say an Air Wing unit. An Army Infantry Unit PT's more than an Army MP unit.

Thats true, when I was in AIMD at Norva we had 2 Marines that pt'd WAY more than we did. We pt'd at least once a year,at most once a year too.
March 19th, 2008  
Chukpike

The main reason Marines do more PT is because if they didn't, they would forget how between sessions. Just a thought from a sailor!
March 19th, 2008  
AZ_Infantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukpike
The main reason Marines do more PT is because if they didn't, they would forget how between sessions. Just a thought from a sailor!
LMFAO

Ex-Army here, Infantry. No idea what Marines do for PT, but I sincerely doubt some of the Marines I've seen, especially female types, did any more than what we did in either the 3rd or the 1st Divisions. Highly doubt it.
March 19th, 2008  
A Can of Man

Yeah I have a good ex USMC friend who said he didn't like female Marines because they were too damn slow at doing stuff.
I on the other hand knew this one female RoKMC drill instructor... man she could put 90% of the world's men to shame.
March 20th, 2008  
GunnyD

New Marine PFT coming out in June 08, required for all Marines. If you aint PT'n hard now you will be, or out the door you go. 1stSgt
March 22nd, 2008  
wolfen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukpike
You still active?