Why I Own A Assault Weapon.

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Every now and again someone asks me why I own a so-called assault weapon.

My reply: Because I can. I'm a freeman, haven't hurt anyone. I enjoy the look, feel and bang of my AR-15.

That reply never suffices. I can tell by the look on their faces that they want more justification, fiber to my reply.

I then tell them that I like books as well, and that I'm against banning books. Thoughts, I tell them, can be quite dangerous in the wrong brains. Nevertheless, I state that anyone who supports banning books (thoughts) must have a different view of the first amendment than me.

That still doesn't quench his or her first why someone would want a gun that is so seemingly menacing and deadly.

I then ask them to tell me what an assault weapon is. I do this to gauge their level of knowledge regarding these guns. They typically cannot put a sentence together that accurately describes these guns. Quite often, these individuals use the words "machine gun" when describing assault weapons.

I then ask them if they know that their local Wal Mart sells more deadly and accurate guns than the guns President Clinton banned. That shocks them. Many do not believe me. I then offer to take them to Wal Mart and give them a basic lesson in firearms. None have ever taken me up on my offer.

I also ask them if they know the difference between a machine gun and a semi-automatic gun. Most do not. I explain the difference and that so-called assault weapons are semi-automatic. Some actually get angry with me because of their fundamental lack of firearm knowledge. I let them get angry. I have learned that some people experience great pain when exposed to facts and common sense.

I then tell them tongue in cheek that there are any number of things that we could ban that would make America much safer than banning so-called assault weapons, which, I tell them are rarely used in crime. I invite them to call their local police department and ask how many crimes were committed with so-called assault weapons over the past year. I doubt they ever make that call. Ignorance is comfortable and easy.

Let's start with cars. Why should America make any car that will travel over 75 mph? I tell them there have been any number of studies that indicate faster speeds equate to more accidents, injuries and death.

Throw booze in on top of fast cars and now you've really got a deadly combination. I ask them if they know how many people are mangled, injured and killed because of cars and booze. They never know this, so I tell them. I then ask them if they support banning fast cars and booze.

I also tell them that cigarettes and fattening food are the number one killers in America. Knowing that, I ask them if they believe we should regulate or out-right ban McDonalds, Burger King, etc. They typically stammer around and mumble something along the lines of ".of course not. That's a personal choice."

"Exactly," I reply. "Welcome to America."

What the hell? The SLR was semi-automatic, the AK47 is not. Semi automatics are just as dangerous as well, as the aim of the rifle is thrown off completely when fully automatic.

What the hell? The SLR was semi-automatic, the AK47 is not. Semi automatics are just as dangerous as well, as the aim of the rifle is thrown off completely when fully automatic.

AK-47s are can be semi-automatic or full-automatic in the USA.

Which just gets rid of the point of this thread. He says all Assault Rifles are semi-automatic. Semi-automatic is the preferred way of firing these weapons as well so it takes away none of the dangers of only having a semi-automatic weapon.

Which just gets rid of the point of this thread. He says all Assault Rifles are semi-automatic. Semi-automatic is the preferred way of firing these weapons as well so it takes away none of the dangers of only having a semi-automatic weapon.

Whats dangerous about having a semi-auto? They're pretty safe to shoot as far as I know.:rolleyes:

And you make an excellent point for why full-auto should not be restricted.

Last edited:
Not if you're on the other end.

lol. As if being on the other end of .300 Magnum bolt action rifle is somehow better!

News flash: Being on the business end of ANY loaded firearm IN THE HANDS of someone with malcontent IS DANGEROUS.

Last edited:
Semi-auto is more accurate with most weapons I have experienced and just as fast in the right hands. Its some specious politician bullspit trying to villainise the weapon because gang-bangers want to copy the armament of the latest Die Hard flick. Go to the source and ban Hollywood... the double speaking hypocritical stars and producers of movies with lots of gunplay and then turn around and are the biggest cheerleaders for gun control. Its like Gore, his family coal mine and his campaign against global warming. Politicians and actors must be carved from the same species of whale dung.

The term Assault Weapon was created in the USA to describe the semi-automatic rifle of military design. And I hate to burst your bubble.

ANY WEAPON IN THE HANDS OF A MADMAN IS DEADLY. It coulbe be a tire iron or a nuclear device.

As for Semi-Auto versus full Full-Auto. It doesn't matter, I can hit the target just as well with a semi-auto or with a full-auto.

It comes down to the eight fundamentals of firearm shooting.

1 - Grip
2 - Sight Alingment
3 - Sight Picture
4 - Stance
5 - Trigger Control
6 - Focus
7 - Breathing
8 - Discipline

With those fundamentals you can control all wepaon systems.

I was aling about folks like you with a fellow officer during work last night. We noticed that there are some people in society that act as tough as can be. But when it comes to weapons they are as afriad as a little school girl with a rat.

Sigmund Freud said it best, "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

I do not understand why people are so afraid of a simple tool. It does not have a mind of it's own. It is just a machine with metal, wood, and plastic. It is not designed to kill, it is designed to be used by it's owner.

Firearms do not kill people, people kill people.

You nation of Austraili once allowed it's people to own firearms. But that right was taken away from you. If you take the time and get of you high horse and do the research you will notice that since your nation outlawed firearms that your crime rate skyrocketed.

An armed society is a polite society. Not everyone is peaceful, some are predators and will treat you like prey. Why disarm yourself? That is what you need to realize. Peace will never happen. PERIOD.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to the range to go shooting with my Semi-Automatic AK-47 and my friend's Fully Automatic Browning M2 .50 Caliber Machie Gun.

5.56x45mm
'Nuff Said...

PS - If you or anyone else ever tries to disarm me, you will only win by prying it from my cold dead blood covered hands. Why blood covered? Because I'll take some of you bastards with me before I die.

As for Semi-Auto versus full Full-Auto. It doesn't matter, I can hit the target just as well with a semi-auto or with a full-auto.

How many rounds are you letting go at full auto at one time?

How many rounds are you letting go at full auto at one time?

Well, if it's a AR-15 or MP5. I can empty an entire magazine and be one target. If it is a G3 or FN FAL, I will usally fire a group of 3 to five rounds.

Muzzle climb and recoil play a big factor in controlling the weapon.

I take it that you have never shot a firearm or owned a firearm in your life. If you want to find out how safe firearms can be. Come on over to the USA. Go to a gun range and rent a firearm to shoot. Ask one of the range instructors to show you proper firearm safety and you will understand that firearms aren't the evil device that you make them appear to be.

Firearms are nothing but tools. Different tools for different jobs. You use a hammer to drive a nail into a plank of wood and you use a firearm to defend yourself and your family from evil.

"The taking of the enemy's life is not wrong, what is wrong is not being able to save the innocent's life." - John M. Browning. Most prolific firearm inventor.

What range are the targets at? I highly doubt you hit with 30 rounds unless it's a barn door. And I do fire rifles and MG's quite regularly.

I have qualified as an expert rifleman the last 4 times I have went to the rifle range. I have picked up an M-16A2 rifle to shoot only those 4 times in the past 4 years.

On Semi-Auto I can put 10 rounds on an "Able" target (18 inch circle) from 200 meters in less than 70 seconds from the prone position. This is with 5 rounds in one magazine and 5 rounds in another so it includes a clip change.

If you think that the same can not be done with a Semi-Auto Rifle w/scope that I can buy from any gun dealer you are sadly mistaken.

I am all for removing the ban if only for the reason that it encroaches on my right to bear arms. On the flip side I am a bit wary to see the ban removed because I see no real need for the average citizen to need an automatic weapon.

Rhodesy I'm talking about full automatic fire, not single shots, which 5.56 claims he can do. I've done doube taps with Assault rifles and sometimes it's who knows where the second round ends up, let alone 28 others.

Rhodesy I'm talking about full automatic fire, not single shots, which 5.56 claims he can do. I've done doube taps with Assault rifles and sometimes it's who knows where the second round ends up, let alone 28 others.

And you are in our Forces? What are you a paper shuffler.

I haven't fired an automatic weapon since the new laws came into effect, here's a photo off my last few fully auto shots, and you'll note that they are grouping at much less than 12 inches at 50metres.

30cal2.jpg

I would suggest that perhaps you need to get some very serious time on the range if you can only manage the type of accuracy you are quoting.

Last edited:
That is not an assault rifle seno, no one is doubting that machine guns are used to be fired fully automatic while maintaining accuracy while mounted on a bipod or tripod.

And no mate, I'm not paper shuffler.

Back