Why I Own A Assault Weapon.

So Wallabies, you are now by your own admission in the last three quotes stating that this is, as others have been arguing for some time now, not a Gun problem but a Social problem? You are also willing to admit that Gun control does not work as you quoted in relation to the Swedish experience?

I think I have alway represented this as a social problem with saying that while the members are responsible gun owners other are not, legal or illegal. I like the swiss system, although it probably can only be used in Switzerland with its high level of living and community responsibility, something that 5.56 attacked me for even though that article supports my opinion.

Well, it seems that we share a common point of view on one thing. It is without a shadow of a doubt a social problem. As for the theory about the Swiss being unique I think it's a load of codswallop. I'm not Swiss, nor would I say that I am the product of a system of great social responsibility.

Education is the key. I grew up in a family where firearms were just another household tool to be used when needed, cleaned and put back in the corner of the spare bedroom.

I was allowed to shoot any weapon that I wished under adult supervision, from the very first time I ever asked. I was probably about 6 years old. Rules were put in place and the culture of being a safe and responsible user was always enforced, not because it was the law, but in the case of firearm handling it was explained as good manners, which were absolutely necessary if you wished to be accepted by other shooters. The other thing my Father always stressed was , "One shot one kill" If you can't be reasonably sure that you can kill the animal with one shot, don't shoot.

So that by I was 12 -13 years of age all I had to do was ask. This mainly being because I was under the legal age and also it was The old man's ammo that was using.

Much of the present problem with the improper use of firearms comes down to a couple of things in my mind.
(1) The over glorification of the role of firearms in daily life, in movies and games.
(2) The fact that because most kids never get to learn about them and use them as kids they are just busting their guts to race out and buy the biggest meanest gun they can find as soon as the are legally able. Then it's, "Let's shoot something" or more to the point, "Let's shoot anything" "let's be like the Gangstas in da movies"

I could go on about this for ever, but I'll not scrub your ears off now.

Much of the present problem with the improper use of firearms comes down to a couple of things in my mind.
(1) The over glorification of the role of firearms in daily life, in movies and games.
(2) The fact that because most kids never get to learn about them and use them as kids they are just busting their guts to race out and buy the biggest meanest gun they can find as soon as the are legally able. Then it's, "Let's shoot something" or more to the point, "Let's shoot anything" "let's be like the Gangstas in da movies"

So should tougher restrictions be placed on while letting people like yourself keep their weapons through the strict procedures of extensive background checks and current psyc evaluations?

No.

People should be made aware of their social and legal responsibilities, and this should be backed up with suitable penalties for those who do not comply. To the point where sociably acceptable behaviour around firearms would become second nature.

Don't talk to me about Psychological examinations. Psychology is 50% quackery and 50% guesswork. I worked with a gentleman who could issue the challenge, "I've got three certificates that state that I'm sane, What have you got? They were in fact discharges from Callan Park mental hospital. Yet he passed a psychological examination to get the job we were in.

Last edited:
You have pointed out on numerous occasions the breaking of traffic laws despite them being there and enforced quite regularly. You think firearms would be different?

People should be made aware of their social and legal responsibilities, and this should be backed up with suitable penalties for those who do not comply. To the point where sociably acceptable behaviour around firearms would become second nature.

The main focus being on changing social attitudes. My firearms education was not successful because of what the law said, it was because I was taught that the alternative was socially unacceptable.

Use your CDF, or are all kids today as thick as yourself.

Military service?? What,..... it didn't do much good for one of our servicemen in Iraq recently did it.

Last edited:
I've got my CDF in order mate, what about the rest of the populance?

Military service?? What,..... it didn't do much good for one of our servicemen in Iraq recently did it.

A sergeant in WW1 was cleaning his rifle when it fired into one of his diggers and killed him. Lapses happen, although I doubt you ever had a firearm with you in hand for an extended time.

I doubt you ever had a firearm with you in hand for an extended time.

No I've probably only spent a minimum of ten times the amount of time that you have, Professional vermin shooters do that you know.

You are pretty big on inane comments, but very short on experience and brains. When you next see a video of buffalo being shot from a helicopter in NT during the brucellosis cull, or horses in WA just remember the little fat bloke with the SLR is most probably me. There may be some other footage but I've never seen it. The one I am talking about was shot by the ABC filmcrew for the "Landline" series, although it has been used in several other shows.

Also notice that we are doing 50 - 80 knots in all directions and I have a one shot kill ratio of about 87% according to the Government overseer (Mr. Colin Mellon). This was over one days shooting where I shot 570 something odd horses.

You are an inexperienced fool and the sooner you wakeup to it the better.

Yes, I'm obviously a fool too because I keep thinking that maybe you have the CDF to learn something, but it appears that you only ever take one foot out of your mouth so you can get the other one in. With a mouth the size of yours, I can't see where the difficulty lies.

Last edited:
Holy personalities batman... THAT's you?!?! I've seen that film. Those are some nice shots hey... most impressive.

It only lasted 4 months for me unfortunately but it certainly brushed up my shooting skills. Believe it or not, the reason I left the job was that I was starting to get airsick more and more often. I rarely vomited until we were on the ground, but it is very disconcerting to see the camp cook, kids and assorted station hands all lined up with their cameras as we came in to land, just waiting to get some shots of Spike chucking his guts up at the edge of the landing pad while the ground crew stood around offering advice like "I thought you killed those ants last week" and laughing their heads off. At one place some smart bastard put up a little sign just off the side of the pad saying "Keep Clear! Spike's Spewing Spot".

It's not good for the concentration either when you're feeling really crook and you see another mob, knowing that you are going to be dipping and diving in and around the trees just at the time when you really want to be on top of it. It still makes me crook just thinking about it.

Bugger it, I'm on a roll now. I'll tell you a little story:p

Here in Australia we have a well known ex professional Roo and Rabbit shooter who is now more famous for his "bush art", his name is Jack Absalom, and among the older shooters around North Western New South Wales his word is gospel.

About ten years ago he did a TV interview defending professional shooters against allegations of deliberate cruelty. It was on this show when being asked about the accuracy of some of the shooters that he stated that the finest shots he had ever seen with a rifle were the Jones boys, Frank, Billy and Sid. He alleged that Frank had a Mauser rifle that he used as others would a shotgun on running game and almost never missed. And he stopped at this point to reinforce that a fast moving rabbit is a small and speedy target which is not acceptable for sale unless it is headshot.

The Jones boys were my uncles and father. So I come from a long line of much better shooters than myself.

Frank and Billy both went on to become millionaires in the Rabbit industry eventually taking over the largest rabbit skins and meat firm in Australia "Bodley's" during the early 1950s, whereas my father gave it up to buy a news agency.

Me,??? ... I haven't got two bob to rub together, but I've had a great life amd got a good wife and two kids. Allan my son is a chip off the old block, and could easily out shoot me today. But I can live with that, in fact i'd be very disappointed if he couldn't, he got taught well by a really handsome lookin' bloke:smile:.

Last edited:
How am I supposed to act? You hang **** on me and my mates, practically calling us incompetent in our jobs. You refuse to listen to a current servicemen, despite things having might of changed in the last 30 years. Sure you might be a good shot, but being a good infantryman takes a lot more than that.

How am I supposed to act? You hang **** on me and my mates, practically calling us incompetent in our jobs. You refuse to listen to a current servicemen, despite things having might of changed in the last 30 years. Sure you might be a good shot, but being a good infantryman takes a lot more than that.

And since when was this debate about infantrymen, it's nothing to do with your mates. The only time I've ever cast aspersions on your statements or your service is when you have stated some obvious drivel that is not becoming of a serviceman. My comments were aimed directly at you, because you continually make stupid statements. Believe me, for an infantryman you don't come across as having a lot of experience which I suppose is excusable seeing you're only 12 months out of basic training.

It's nothing personal, I just don't like seeing Aussie servicemen making questionable statements that reflect poorly on the skills and experience of other Aussie servicemen.

e.g. You don't see me stating to the world something like, "Pistols are useless, because they are inaccurate". Sure,... I personally am a lousy shot with one, but that doesn't mean that the weapon is inherently "bad" as you seemingly implied about assault rifles firing on auto.

Rather than be banned for bad language and character assassination, I have deleted part of my first post.

I have come to the conclusion that this man is a complete and utter "nut case".

But here's a hint Wallabies.

Groupings are "relative" you "silly sausage", a 10cm group at 100m has the same degree of accuracy as a 20cm group at 200m.

I know I've been out of the services for some time, and never served as an infantryman, but there are some things that never change. As near as I can remember shooters always attempt to gain the maximum degree of accuracy. That is, the smallest possible groups, with the MPI as close as possible to the aiming point. Nobody in my memory ever sets out to attain a sh!t group. Or are you going to tell me now that they do it differently in your little part of the Army.
Depends on what grouping you are going for and the range.
These are your words!!

And you wonder why I "put sh!t on you" as you so aptly put it.

Please pass on my deepest sympathy to your poor blo*dy Section Leader.

Last edited:
They are very relative, however I dont see how anyone can keep up a high rate of fire while on fully automatic and traversing onto different targets. Which gets back to the original point probably a few pages back now that fully automatic weapons are no more dangerous than semi automatic weapons.

The American police largely only use their pistols, why can't the american public just use these as well for self defence purposes as the police see that the pistol covers their need for the defence of the public and themselves.

Back