Why did you join? - Page 2

--

October 21st, 2011  
42RM

I joined because I always had a desire to become an officer.
To lead other men under extreme conditions appeals to me. But it's also about things like working with people at multiple levels, living in and by nature, to challenge myself, to feel like Im making a difference for others, to help shape the future for young people. The confidence that I get from my marines is fantastic and it confirms to me that I have the best job in the world.
October 22nd, 2011  
Strauss

I joined the navy because I wanted to make a difference in the world, I knew that the Danish Navy were active in Somalia and in the Gulf of Aden, so I my hopes were (and still are) to go and prevent people from getting kidnapped by pirates.

That is my biggest goal in the navy, since my older brother sails those waters on civilian ships and I would not want him to be taken hostage.

Also I joined because I thought to myself "an 8-16 job? No thank you" (translation: 9-5 job), because I wanted to be challenged and because of the periods of leave I will get.
October 26th, 2011  
KJ

I grew up around warriors, every male in our family has or are serving in some shape or form.

My personal motives may have changed over time.
But what has always stayed at the core is the abbility to really affect peoples lives for the better.
One of the proudest days of my life are still to this day the first familly I and my Team managed to save and reunite in a wartorn balkan nation during my first UN stint.
They had all but given up on their loved one when we came bringing her back from a rather tough spot.
The expressions on their faces... Man THAT **** you have to live to understand.

Today I have worked damned hard to be were Im at.
I wouldnt give it up for anything, and yet I will have to when my time is up.
The bittersweet life of striving to be at the tip of the spear.

KJ sends..
--
May 2nd, 2012  
Rdub549

I'm still anxiously waiting to be sent off :P
I signed the papers for the USAF because I'm smart and had nothing to prove it. I passed every test in high school and 2 yrs in college without doing any studying or homework. Got into drugs, sex, and mischief for a while (during college), everybody but my parents thought I was amazing (because they knew the truth).
I was tired of living with my parents but had no motivation to get out. I was stagnant. Then I met the love of my life and she made me want to be the best person I could ever be. I had no idea how to do that for her in the civilian world so taking after my uncles and father, I decided to do my country and lover proud and join the military. I passed every test the USAF could throw at me with flying colors and am going in as a Cryptologic Linguist (Cat IV).
I joined the military to prove to myself, my girlfriend, my parents, and the world that I CAN be the best that I can be, and I'm not just a sad story of what could have been.