why cant you use tactical nuclear weapons? - Page 2

--

August 12th, 2004  
Mark Conley

one of the biggest problems we had was all the people that insisted if you set the device off high enough, you would get it out of the ground effect where it would form a stem that sucks up most of the debris and converts it into highly radioactive materials. This was the whole premise behind the genie air to air missile: shoot it high into a bomber group, watch it blow. not much fallout. safe to use over the home world...no problems.

a bigger load of was never heavier dropped than that one on our NBC class...
August 12th, 2004  
Lil Hulk 1988

Topic: Survivability...

I always liked the immediate action training with the thought that a nuclear event was survivable and that the unit could still be combat effective. I used to think about just the SHOCK of having a device dropped within 10 miles of the position, let alone truely close.
August 12th, 2004  
Mark Conley

do you remember anything about the smokey tests in the 50s where they actually had guys get up and move into the area after indoctrination and setting the device off?

--
August 13th, 2004  
J.Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Conley
do you remember anything about the smokey tests in the 50s where they actually had guys get up and move into the area after indoctrination and setting the device off?

That was something. One of the treaties I was trained for verifying was the Threshold Test Ban Treaty. I didn't get to sit in on any tests because of the '92 moratorium, but we did get to go sightseeing around the Nevada Test Site. We went to some of those old troop test sites, and it was just amazing how close the Ground Zero was to the trenches where the soldiers were.