Why can't Taiwanese people accept their Chinese heritage?

--
Boots

March 11th, 2005  
Red_Army

Topic: Why can't Taiwanese people accept their Chinese heritage?

Brief History
During the Ming Dynasty, mainland Chinese people started to colonize the island of Formosa(Taiwan). In the 1660s, the last reminants of the Ming Dynasty government settle in Taiwan until 1682, when the Qing Emperor Kangxi defeated them and intergrated Taiwan into its territory. As of 1682 until 1895, the island of Taiwan became part of China.

Inhabitants of Taiwan
Yes there are aboriginals in Taiwan, but their numbers are very small. Most of Taiwanese people are actually people who migrated to Taiwan during the Ming Dynasty. Before their Chinese ancestors came to Taiwan, the aboriginals didn't speak or write Chinese. Doesn't this prove that Taiwanese are actually Chinese? I accept the fact that 2 million Nationalists from the mainland came to Taiwan in 1949, but if they didn't come to Taiwan. The rest of the inhabitants would still be considered Chinese because their ancestors are from the Ming Dynasty.
March 11th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Probobly for the same kind of reasons Americans don't want to be ruled by the English.
March 11th, 2005  
Charge 7

How many topics like this are you going to start and have locked before you either figure out not to start them or wind up banned?
--
Boots
March 11th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
Probobly for the same kind of reasons Americans don't want to be ruled by the English.

ditto
March 11th, 2005  
Zyca

- Another topic like this?
- Should I respond to this again?
- Hmm....
- Oh why bother.
- At least it's Friday!
March 11th, 2005  
Corocotta

Topic: Re: Why can't Taiwanese people accept their Chinese heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Army
Brief History
During the Ming Dynasty, mainland Chinese people started to colonize the island of Formosa(Taiwan). In the 1660s, the last reminants of the Ming Dynasty government settle in Taiwan until 1682, when the Qing Emperor Kangxi defeated them and intergrated Taiwan into its territory. As of 1682 until 1895, the island of Taiwan became part of China.

Inhabitants of Taiwan
Yes there are aboriginals in Taiwan, but their numbers are very small. Most of Taiwanese people are actually people who migrated to Taiwan during the Ming Dynasty. Before their Chinese ancestors came to Taiwan, the aboriginals didn't speak or write Chinese. Doesn't this prove that Taiwanese are actually Chinese? I accept the fact that 2 million Nationalists from the mainland came to Taiwan in 1949, but if they didn't come to Taiwan. The rest of the inhabitants would still be considered Chinese because their ancestors are from the Ming Dynasty.
I guess because they live in a democratic politic and capitalist sistem where they have all kinds of rights and the fact of changing to a comunist one might not be the best....
March 11th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyca
- Another topic like this?
- Should I respond to this again?
- Hmm....
- Oh why bother.
- At least it's Friday!
- That's funny!
March 11th, 2005  
MontyB

Quote:
Brief History
This is one of those pointless agruments that completely overlooks the fact that currently the Taiwanese dont want to be "Mainland Chinese".
Its like the French and Germans wondering why the British dont want want to be French/German/Scandinavian after all a sizable chunk of the British population is of French/German/Norse descent or to be even more outlandish how about a claim to the world by Ethiopia as all human life (at this point) is deemed to have started there.

I think what needs to be looked is the differences separating mainland china from from Taiwan and not the siimilarities.
March 11th, 2005  
Boobies

Quote: "Why can't Taiwanese people accept their Chinese heritage?"

Heritage or Political association?
March 12th, 2005  
MadeInChina

Quote:
Its like the French and Germans wondering why the British dont want want to be French/German/Scandinavian after all a sizable chunk of the British population is of French/German/Norse descent or to be even more outlandish how about a claim to the world by Ethiopia as all human life (at this point) is deemed to have started there.
yes, but taiwanese are essentially chinese, they speak the same, write the same, eat the same, do the same and belive the same religon

we respect them and let them run businesein china, we let them do alot of thigns just to show how good willed we are towards our little brother.

i guess its those rebellious ChenshuibienSOBs who are behidn this[/code]