What is the worst job in the military? - Page 2

--

September 27th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

Topic: Re: re: worst job

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunblock
The guys in the OPS centre on field operations. Although there are some quiet minutes on operations the show must go on.....
I have spent sometime at the Battalion and Brigade TOC's (Tactical Operations Center) and I hated every minute of it. Countless hours of radio watch and battle tracking is not what I envisoned as a Forward Observer. Also, I do not like to spend time with the brass in the field. There is a level of no nonsense I have grown to like being down on the line. My time at the TOCs was the low point of my 4 years at the 101st Airborne Division.

But there are some people who love being at the TOC. More power to them. Let me be down on the line.
September 27th, 2004  
sunb!

Topic: Re:

Some like the TOC/OPS others dont. Some are naturally born to do it.

I enjoyed the service until I was sincerely fed up with the service after a 48 hours watch; during that operation 98% of the messages was encrypted. The Norwegian army has this peice of equipment which sounds like a modem being used; imagine going to sleep in your sleepingbag and all you can hear is the "beeeep-wheeeee-beeeep-beeep" sound in your head...

Awe
September 27th, 2004  
Mark Conley

As far as the US Air Force is concerned: Let me say this up front-there are no worst or bad jobs in the US Air Force..however there are intense professions that can turn your head white very quickly...

Please understand the difference between its just a job...or a profession. If all you are there for is a salary..and you arent interested in what it is you do...then you have a job. But if you are engaged in a profession..then its a lifes work with rules, responsibilities...and the satisfaction is internal despite what comes.

In the US Military, we are all grouped under the profession of arms...even the Air Force members do get rifle and field training to allow them to fit in with the rest of the more agressive services. We dont get as intense of training..but we do learn which end of the barrel to point down the range..and how to load it.

Within the profession of arms..we have our potential profession of interests. Medical, logistical, administrative, support...and yes of course flying operations are all our professions of interests we engage in.

Now..if i had to pick the least liked profession in the US Air Force...in my opinion it has to be administrative. I would even rather be a cook/food service manager than an admin technician, due to fact i hate paperwork. But even administrative services has its place in the profession of arms. It takes a tough person to hang in there in the world of the pen and paper..and I do salute them.

to the Admin troops....
--
September 27th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Bureaucrat.
It's the worst kind of human culture in the world, military or non military. Plus everyone hates you. lol
October 3rd, 2004  
Trevor

A Lavatory Lieutenant.
October 4th, 2004  
A Can of Man

I still think there's nothing worse than being a bureaucrat.
October 4th, 2004  
03USMC

From a Marine stand point. Cooks and Bakers. Worst hours. Inspector Instructor with the reserves. No control.

Active duty 2ND Lt no one respects you.
October 4th, 2004  
doddsy2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
From a Marine stand point. Cooks and Bakers. Worst hours. Inspector Instructor with the reserves. No control.

What about 'baby sitting' an active duty 2nd Lt? Now - that can be dodgy!
October 4th, 2004  
Trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
My friend from my squadron went to RMC. He's an officer cadet (Canadian forces suboordinate officer), and he says that there's Sgts there that don't even care or respect officer cadets.
October 4th, 2004  
rOk

Peeling potatoes as a punishment for not coming on time after a free weekend...