What do you think about officer training???? - Page 2

--

May 29th, 2004  
goaliedude66630

Yes sir
May 29th, 2004  
AFSteliga

I don't know about the US Officer Training, but in the Canadian BOTC (Basic Officer Training Course) every officer is put through the exact same type of training as enlisted personnelle. The only difference is that there's a Leadership module included in BOTC. I personally think that either one is just as effective.
May 30th, 2004  
RnderSafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCdt Steliga
I don't know about the US Officer Training, but in the Canadian BOTC (Basic Officer Training Course) every officer is put through the exact same type of training as enlisted personnelle. The only difference is that there's a Leadership module included in BOTC. I personally think that either one is just as effective.
Training doesn't matter. Life on the enlisted side is completely different than life on the officer side. Each bring different experiences. There are going to be bad and good officers no matter what. Being prior enlisted helps a great deal in understanding your men and their perspective, but that doesn't mean you're going to make a good officer. I've seen great officers that never spent a day on the Enlisted side, and bad ones that had tons of NCO time under their belts.

A lot of it comes down to character.
--
May 30th, 2004  
AFSteliga

True enough. I've spent 6 years as a Cadet NCO under the command of several really good (and a few really bad) CIC Officers, so I have some idea of what Regular Force NCO's go through when dealing with their officers.