At what point - Page 2

--

September 13th, 2011  
84RFK

In short: the best we can hope for in the Middle East is a small scale copy of the cold war?

What are the chances that the Arab states neighbouring Iran would interfer with or condemn the Iranian nuclear program, either by common sense or cultural (Persian vs Arab) differense?

The common sense aspect doesn't seem to have any major part in the history of the Middle-East, but even the most fanatic religious believer must surely realise that a full scale thermonuclear attack on Israel will render the area uninhabitable for all foreseeable future.
And what's the point of "liberating" the holy city and the Palestine if the Palestinians are erased by the same stroke?

Fiat justitia pereat mundi sounds good in philosophical terms, but it doesn't work in real life.
September 14th, 2011  
Yossarian

When idealogical madness and disregard for even the basic priciples of protecting your own people get crossed with launch codes...

May whatever is up there have mercy on all of us.
September 15th, 2011  
84RFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
When idealogical madness and disregard for even the basic priciples of protecting your own people get crossed with launch codes...

May whatever is up there have mercy on all of us.
In lack of anything better....AMEN!
--
September 19th, 2011  
grey shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RFK
In short: the best we can hope for in the Middle East is a small scale copy of the cold war?

What are the chances that the Arab states neighbouring Iran would interfer with or condemn the Iranian nuclear program, either by common sense or cultural (Persian vs Arab) differense?

The common sense aspect doesn't seem to have any major part in the history of the Middle-East, but even the most fanatic religious believer must surely realise that a full scale thermonuclear attack on Israel will render the area uninhabitable for all foreseeable future.
And what's the point of "liberating" the holy city and the Palestine if the Palestinians are erased by the same stroke?

Fiat justitia pereat mundi sounds good in philosophical terms, but it doesn't work in real life.
Some condemn Iran's nuclear programme, others defend it; some compare Iranian President Ahmadinejad to Hitler; others see him as the savior of Islam's honor. By and large, the Arab world and its press are split over Iran's nuclear ambitions.

For the Kuwaiti the "fear is not of the mere acquisition of nuclear weapons and atomic energy—since the European countries have such weapons, as do Russia and Israel. What they fear is that these weapons might fall into the hands of a truly unconstitutional and undemocratic dictatorship. In an editorial, the Egyptian government daily Al-Ahram warned that if the world did not respond appropriately to Iran's announcement, a nuclear arms race might result in the region. Also for Qatari daily Al-Raya, the Gulf region is in "great danger". "How can we be calm about Iran, when it still occupies the UAE's islands, and has a problem with every country in the region?"

I don´t think that Israel is the target. I think the scenario is much more frightening than that.

It is inconceivable, that Iran will drop the bomb on Syria and target Jordan or Egypt. It is incomprehensible that Iran will bomb Israel, which has a shield of missiles, tremendous firepower, and nuclear weapons sufficient to eradicate every city in Iran. In addition, any attack on Israel would mean the immediate, wide-scale destruction of the Palestinians. . . . This means that if this destructive weapon is used, the only option for a target is the Arab Gulf countries.

"Agnosco fortunam Cartaginis" I'm afraid.
September 19th, 2011  
84RFK

Thank you Grey Shadow, it was something like that I had lurking in my mind, but not in the magnitude you presented.

Wish there was an "Agree" button instead of the "Like" button here.