What are the Most Powerful Nations in Africa?? - Page 3

--

December 3rd, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Nigeria is the most populous and is an oil rich nation as well, so it would add nicely to the list: Egypt, South Africa, Nigeria.
December 4th, 2004  
Xion

I guess the above posts explain why i said Nigeria, most populous nation in Africa and the 10 the populous in the world after Japan.
Is rich in oil, and has a strong military, has recently sent troops to Sudan to take care of the Darfur crisis.

The most probable candidates for the revamped security council from africa are Nigeria and South Africa , they need at least 2 countries from Africa, Egypt might be a contender.
December 4th, 2004  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dameon
However yeah technicly Egypt is considered part of the Middle East even though it is on the African continant. I would have to agree on Egypt, they have been around about 3,000-4,000 years. Thats called staying power.
If you want to get even more technical, then it is Southwest Asia, not the Middle east.
--
December 4th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

No ... technically Egypt is on the African Continent with the exception of the Sinai Peninsula. Same with Libya and Algeria, though they certainly are very Muslim nations. Hey, a ton of Africa is heavily Muslim. Their sphere of interest focusses on the Middle East, but that doesn't mean they are on located in Asia. They're not.
December 4th, 2004  
Darcia

True.....still doesn't change the fact Egypt is more important in Middle East polotics than African ones.
December 4th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Due to the fact that Islam dominates the place, what part of Africa isn't heavily influenced by Middle East politics? Egypt has borders into areas of greatest importance to the Middle East -- specifically ISRAEL. Its much like deciding whether to classify Turkey as being a Middle East or European nation. Much of the world sees them as more European than Middle Eastern, yet geographically, Turkey is in Asia. Egypt is in Africa.
December 4th, 2004  
Darcia

True, However it Polotics are normaly more on the Middle Eastern side....alot of maps includeEgypt in the Middle East also.
December 4th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

People kept asking if Egypt was in AU. They are:
http://www.africa-union.org/Member_s...r_states_b.htm
So ... there ya go.

I don't think Egypt would be a very good choice for a reworked UNSC as they truly aren't that plugged into the African Continent. Not as much as Nigeria and South Africa are.
December 4th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Yeah but it's still in Africa right?
Now if the question was which countries were the strongest in Subsaharan Africa...
December 4th, 2004  
SHERMAN

I think that as far as military goes, Egypt is definetly the strongest one. They have western weapons, a lot of air power and armor, and their Army is pretey big.