What are the benefits of having an automatic loader? - Page 3

--

January 22nd, 2005  
Charge 7

It applies to more than tanks of course.

Having humped 100+ llb artillery shells in the past, I'll go with an automatic loader when available. Hand ramming has its advantages no doubt, but it can sure wear you down.
January 22nd, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
It applies to more than tanks of course.

Having humped 100+ llb artillery shells in the past, I'll go with an automatic loader when available. Hand ramming has its advantages no doubt, but it can sure wear you down.
Having a auto-loader on arty is great but tanks where is that tank loader when the auto-loader fails, if a arty auto-loader fails theres always or most of the time a loader to fill in for it if it breaks.
January 22nd, 2005  
Charge 7

Hmm, 22 years in artillery. I think I know what it can and can't do, son. I was making a point about an automatic loader's uses. It wasn't an attack on your beliefs about tanks.
--
January 22nd, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Hmm, 22 years in artillery. I think I know what it can and can't do, son. I was making a point about an automatic loader's uses. It wasn't an attack on your beliefs about tanks.
I think you misread my post, I was saying auto-loaders on arty, arty units usually 5-20 miles of support area, the auto-loader on the arty peice can be replace by another or a human loader, the auto-loader in a tank can't be replaced by another or by a human until brought to a maintnace unit and can't be fixed during a battle.

I know what I'm talking about when I say that tanks shouldn't have auto-loaders, my dad's got 21 years in armor, he's an M1A1 Master Gunner.
January 22nd, 2005  
Charge 7

I read your post fine. I don't need instruction from a 16 year old - son of a tanker or not - on artillery. I commented on automatic loaders. That's the topic. I was not commenting on tanks at all.
January 24th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Topic: Re: What are the benefits of having an automatic loader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrebel211
I personally really can't see any other than having on less person having to be on the tank. But then that is also one less person to do repiars and the such after battle. Also, a trained loader can always load faster than an automatic. LOL but hey, the ruskies usually don't make sense.
Seems to me that we are talking about tanks.
January 25th, 2005  
Charge 7

Look, I'm not going to argue with you, but look at the topic title again. It says "What are the benefits of having an automatic loader". It doesn't say a damn thing about tanks. Because YOU were talking about tanks doesn't mean the topic was closed to anything BUT tanks. I think you better check that attitude of your's before you seriously consider a life in the military.
January 25th, 2005  
Chinaman

if a t80u or t90 battles out with m1, then definetly the t-80 u would win if the ranges were smaller than usual

the autoloader allows tanks to reload faster than normal, and that is important when both are ownage tanks and the second shot would count very badly
January 25th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

The advantages of having an autoloader are mainly logistical. You don't need to feed, clothe, house, and train that extra crewmember. For a army with a shitload of tanks, like Russia, this makes sense. They're also smaller, allowing for a reduced internal volume.

Other then that, there is no autoloader out there with performence that even comes close to a human loader.
January 25th, 2005  
Chinaman

true, good point

russia use to have mass armored divisions with very good tanks and good tactics

such scale was a dream that german generals often had

anyways, enough said, autoloaders save money, training and feeding

but is it that hard to load a shell and fire, it sound like a pretty stupid job i fu ask me, anyone unstumped or handicapped can do it