Well this was interesting...

MontyB

All-Blacks Supporter
Does anyone find it odd that Britain's Middle Eastern peace envoy is advocating going to war?

I figured he would have learnt from the last mess he had helped make and that everyone else is paying to clean up.

From The Times

January 30, 2010

Blair warns that world faces decision to halt Iran’s nuclear programme.

Philip Webster

World leaders might have to go to war to stop Iran developing its weapons programme, Tony Blair suggested yesterday.

The former Prime Minister, who is now a Middle East peace envoy, said that Tehran’s actions had made him more afraid today that a rogue state could supply weapons of mass destruction to terrorists than he was when he took Britain to war with Iraq in 2003.

He warned that world leaders, including the British Prime Minister, now faced the same kinds of decision about the dangers posed by repressive regimes as he did seven years ago.

“My judgment — and it may be other people don’t take this view, and that’s for the leaders of today to make their judgment — is we don’t take any risks with this issue,” he said.

The former Prime Minister raised concerns about Tehran’s links with terrorist organisations.

Mr Blair said: “My fear was — and I would say I hold this fear stronger today than I did back then as a result of what Iran particularly today is doing — my fear is that states that are highly repressive or failed, the danger of a WMD link is that they become porous, they construct all sorts of different alliances with people.”

Mr Blair said that there had been extensive planning for the aftermath of the invasion, but said that there had been a failure to foresee the role played by al-Qaeda and Iran in fomenting the insurgency that broke out.

“The real problem is that our focus was on the issues that in the end were not the issues that caused us the difficulty,” he said.

“People didn’t think that al-Qaeda and Iran would play the role that they did. It was really the external elements of al-Qaeda and Iran that really caused this mission very nearly to fail.”

The former Prime Minister raised the spectre of Iraq and Iran competing to develop nuclear weapons and to fund terror groups if Saddam Hussein had not been removed.

Mr Blair said: “I have little doubt myself — but it’s a judgment, and other people may take a different judgment — that today we would be facing a situation where Iraq was competing with Iran, competing both on nuclear weapons capability and competing more importantly perhaps than anything else, competing as well as the nuclear issue in respect of support of terrorist groups.”

Mr Blair said that Iran’s postwar efforts to destabilise Iraq showed that the regime had no interest in co-operating and could not be trusted.

“One of the most disappointing, but also I think the most telling aspects of this, is that the Iranians, whatever they said from the beginning, were a major destabilising factor in this situation and quite deliberately.

“People didn’t believe you would be in a situation where Iran having the threat of Saddam removed would try to destabilise the country. But that is what they did.

“A very strong lesson of this for me was that we tried with the Iranians ... the Iranians, whatever they said from the beginning, were a major destabilising factor in this.”

In a further hint that he believes others may have to follow him and President Bush in going to war, Mr Blair said: “When we get into a nation-building situation in the future we will be far better informed.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article7008985.ece

If the plan is to just simply destroy Iran's infrastructure and no more, that could work.
But that is, ignoring the global political fallout.

Yeah just what we need another country we have to pay to fix because we don't share ideologies and can't tolerate difference, lets assume for a moment that Iran becomes a nuclear nation what exactly are they going to do with those nukes that wont see them glow in the dark afterwards?

Good point MontyB.
But I guess the prospect of them being able to do something that would make them glow in the dark afterwards haunts people.

Why, we trust Pakistan, India and Israel with them and you would hardly call those peaceful and stable members of the world community, The USA has them and has used them, Russia and China have them and are supposedly trying to take over the world, North Korea apparently have them and they are considered a giant bunch of whackjobs.

In the end I do not trust any of the nations that have them but I am certain that none of them have the courage of their convictions and are prepared to kill themselves to use them.

Nuclear weapons are great defensive items but they are worthless and expensive for anything else.

Last edited:
Of course Israel is a peaceful and stable authority, and democratic to boot. You can put your shirt on it.

Under the severest provocation, they have carefully kept their nukes tucked away deep in their pockets. Remember that the difference between winning and losing WW11 was that America's Jewish scientists came out better than Germany's Jewish scientists. Israel has remained unflinching, that's all.

On the other hand, don't assume that the launching equation involves courage ; some nutters won't be happy until everybody glows.

Exit stage left.

Last edited:
Of course Israel is a peaceful and stable authority, and democratic to boot. You can put your shirt on it.

I seriously doubt
a Palestinian living under occupation would see it that way, especially after the recent news of the new settlements being built in East Jerusalem.
Under the severest provocation, they have carefully kept their nukes tucked away deep in their pockets. Remember that the difference between winning and losing WW11 was that America's Jewish scientists came out better than Germany's Jewish scientists. Israel has remained unflinching, that's all.

Severest provocation? Nobody has threatened Isreal with nuclear annilhiation, because nobody who would want to has the capability to do so. And even if they did, all governments, including the most radical believe in self preservation first and foremost. Not even Iran would risk nuking Israel without being destroyed itself
. Germany would have lost the war anyway. Their fate was sealed in 1942.

On the other hand, don't assume that the launching equation involves courage; some nutters won't be happy until everybody glows.

No country would ever be so foolish, its a lose-lose scenario. There is no way for any Arab country to win a nuclear confrontation with Israel, even they know this. Giving to a radical group wouldnt work either. From what I have read, radiation from nuclear explosions are easily traced back to its source like a fingerprint, -dont ask me how the science works. And once it was determined who gave the bomb to the terrorists...boom!

As I said its a lose-lose scenario.

Exit stage left.

Embedded

Back