US wants UN to declare that abortion is not a right - Page 2

View Poll Results :well? what do you think, Yay or Nay?
yes, a woman should be able to access an abortion 8 80.00%
no, abortion is wrong 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

March 2nd, 2005  
Charge 7

Personally I think that until men can become pregnant they have no place in making the decision. If any change is to be made regarding abortion it should only be the women of the world who vote on it. I think it wouldn't take a fortuneteller to guess what the vote would be.

Here's your stats:

A CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll revealed that over 70 percent of Americans think access to abortion should be limited to some circumstances.

The poll was based on phone interviews with 1,014 adults April 30-May 2. Responses indicated that:

16 percent of Americans think abortion should be illegal in all cases.

55 percent said abortions should be allowed only in cases of incest or to save the life of the mother.

27 percent said abortion should be allowed in all cases.

The poll also showed that the number of people who consider themselves "pro-choice" dropped from 56 percent three yrs ago to 48 percent today.

Those who considered themselves "pro-life" increased from 36 percent three yrs ago to 42 percent today."

Source: St. Anthony Messenger Magazine, July 1999

So the majority still do favor abortion though the gap has decreased.
March 2nd, 2005  
Sexybeast

if u give the birth of a kid, and u know he or she will suffer.......i hope u dont give the birth of that kid
March 2nd, 2005  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie_nz
i don't think i would go as far as a "majority"...we saw where that went with the election
You're kidding me, you think abortion was even a factor in the 2004 election?

Terrorism, the Iraq War, PATRIOT Act, Gay Marriage, all that was just a wee bit more important to us than abortion.
--
Boots
March 2nd, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Personally I think that until men can become pregnant they have no place in making the decision. If any change is to be made regarding abortion it should only be the women of the world who vote on it. I think it wouldn't take a fortuneteller to guess what the vote would be.

Here's your stats:

A CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll revealed that over 70 percent of Americans think access to abortion should be limited to some circumstances.

The poll was based on phone interviews with 1,014 adults April 30-May 2. Responses indicated that:

55 percent said abortions should be allowed only in cases of incest or to save the life of the mother.

The poll also showed that the number of people who consider themselves "pro-choice" dropped from 56 percent three yrs ago to 48 percent today.

Those who considered themselves "pro-life" increased from 36 percent three yrs ago to 42 percent today."

Source: St. Anthony Messenger Magazine, July 1999

So the majority still do favor abortion though the gap has decreased.
thanks for the figures charge...and i think you got it bang on with you first sentence there!
i have never liked those two terms "pro life" and "pro Choice"...it's like "pro kittens" or "pro Cookies". doesn't make any sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
Quote:
i don't think i would go as far as a "majority"...we saw where that went with the election
You're kidding me, you think abortion was even a factor in the 2004 election?

Terrorism, the Iraq War, PATRIOT Act, Gay Marriage, all that was just a wee bit more important to us than abortion.
the abortion issue has ALWAYS been a factor in the recent elections...but i'll let some one in the US field that one.
March 2nd, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Here's your stats:

I think that the those statistics tell a different tale, but the big key is the 55%. "Allowed only in cases of incest or to save the life of the mother" would not have given chewie_nz and his girlfriend the option for an abortion. I believe that very few sane people are going to advocate the hardcore "never under any circumstances" stand. That is just too extreme but apparently there is a sizable chunk of those in America, but that sounds nuts to me. My stance would be with the 55% with a slight modification: "Only in cases of rape, incest or when the mother's life is in danger." I would consider that to be an anti-abortion stance myself. If you lump everyone who believes abortion should be restricted only to special circumstances, you end up with 71% of Americans. That is a substantial majority.

Whether you call yourself Pro-Choice or Pro-Life might have very little to do with your actual beliefs on the subject. Silly buzzwords that sound pretty to certain people.
March 2nd, 2005  
A Can of Man

I think each country should have jurisdiction over this matter. After all, this is why we have countries! We set laws according to our local values and sentiments. Something that applies superbly in America can be completely out of place in Brunei.

I think the Americans should back out of this one.

I'm not going to say yay or nay, but I'm going to say that each country has its right to decide whether or not it is right or wrong.

Abortion played a role, but it fell under the "assault on Christianity" part of the campaign. The part that ultimately destroyed John Kerry's bid to be the President. It wasn't really abortion in itself.
March 3rd, 2005  
Damien435

This poll is too restrictive.
March 3rd, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
This poll is too restrictive.

well say what you want then....
March 3rd, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
well say what you want then....
A fully restored 1974 Corvette Stingray, but I have no idea wht that has to do with your topic in all honesty. It is most definitely what I want though.
March 3rd, 2005  
MontyB

Quote:
I think each country should have jurisdiction over this matter. After all, this is why we have countries! We set laws according to our local values and sentiments. Something that applies superbly in America can be completely out of place in Brunei.
I think there is a greater chance of GWB stringing a coherent sentence together than there is of the world allowing him to dictate the worlds internal affairs (not a particually high percentage either way).

My assumption is that this is simply placating the religious nutjobs that voted him in, it will be roundly ignored by all and life will go on.